Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat birth dissaster

Maruska
April 11th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Just wanted to let my story be known. Hopefully, it will encourage ppl to spay/neuter their pets before the worst comes.
After reading my story, u will probably want to smack me in head. I know i deserve it. I just hope that my cat understand i never meant to hurt her and eventually will forgive me.
So here it goes from the very beginning up until now:
On the June 6th, 2006, my friend found 3 little kittens near dumpster.They were no more than 2 weeks old, their eyes were barely open. All of them turned out to be really cute little fury girls. I could not resist but to take one home, besides we were planning to get a cat that summer. All of those 3 fury balls went to their very own homes that evening. We picked the calico girl and named her Kissa.
Before recent, u could say that i was very ignorant pet owner. I never considered taking my pets to the vet on regular basis, just emergencies. That how it was in my family, and that how i thought was normal. As a result, Kissa was never spayed.
On the August 1st, 2009, i got a very disturbing call from my friend. She said that her neighbor was about to kill 2 months old kittens cause 'nobody wants them'. I didnt think twice. When i showed up at the door steps of that neighbor, luckily only one kitten and mama cat was left. I took the male kitten home and my friend took the mama cat. We named him Shura.
So, i ended up with male and female cats in my place. This is the time when i first started considering whether to get them spayed/neutered or not. After some research, me and my husband still could not make up our minds. It was debated whether to let them have one litter and then do the surgeries, or not. While we were trying to make final decision, Shura grew up a bit and made decision of his own.
I felt little scared, but full of hope that everything will be alright since both of my cats saw vet couple months ago (Shura turned out to have full package of parasites, so we had to take them both to see doctor) got all their shots and received clean bill of health. Also, both of them are 100% indoor cats, so we expected that everything will be ok.
Kissa was due April 8. Disaster started on the late evening of April 6th when Kissa went into labor. She could not give birth. Her contractions wasnt often enough, it was about 10-15 minutes apart. After 4 hours of suffering nothing changed. That is when i started panicking. I called a vet hoping to hear that i am overreacting, but instead i heard "bring her in, she seems to have difficulties".
Doctor suggested two options: either to give Kissa injection to stimulate the contractions, or to do a c-section, but in both cases the bloodwork had to be done and preferably the x-rays. I decided to have first done the x-rays and then based on that make a decision. Vet was supporting that.
On the x-rays i saw 5 amazing, cute and HUGE kittens (and i mean the HUGE, they were almost twice the size of the birthing canal). All of them were positioned the wrong way. The first kitten seemed to be going for the birthing canal, but his little leg seemed to be stuck outside of it. I was warned that this guy might have problems with his leg later on. But the biggest concern was that, Kissa needs a surgery cause she wont be able to deliver on her own. Right there and then, i thought i was facing my biggest fear. Ohhh, how i was wrong.
Fast forwarding through the agonizing hour trying to collect some funds for the deposit in the middle of the night, while Kissa was getting ready for her surgery. My heart kept on trying to do back flips, i kept on thinking what else can go wrong and why was i that stupid to let it all happen to little innocent cat.
When all the paper work was settled, Kissa and doctor was ready to start the surgery, doctor suggested that i go home and wait for his call. So i left the office, Kissa and kittens to the mercy of the staff. That night i was walking home instead of driving, cause i thought it will either be a car accident or a heart attack. Since, my bank account and a wallet was emptied at the office so that i could not even take a bus home I decided heart attack on a side walk is better option. I know, i had very bright thoughts (sarcasm).
When i finally reached home, it was a time for the call from vet, but phone was silent. I didnt know what to think. I started praying out loud that everything will be ok. I never turned to religion before, i never prayed before. That night first time in my life i asked GOD for mercy, for miracle. It was my only hope. I didnt know what else i can do at a moment. Everything that i could have done, was in a past tense, it was a bit too late.
When phone finally rang, i could not say a thing, my mouth went dry, i was prepared to hear the worst. Doctor kept repeating "Hello, is anybody there" until i could make some sound. I guess its impossible to explain what i went through and what i felt during those couple seconds. I guess, its as if i run across country and back in less than a minute. I was ready to hear the worst, i was hoping to hear that everything is ok and i wanted to hang up the phone so that i wont hear the bad news.
Doctor said that my Kissa is ok for now, but.... Oh, that dreadful "but". But all 5 kittens didnt make it. He said that he almost lost Kissa, her heart stopped beating for couple seconds when he was sewing her up, but he was able to revive her up. Also, it was discovered that she has internal infection. As it turned 2 out of 5 kittens died about week ago and started decomposing already, which in turn poisoned the other 3. It is suspected that first two kittens died because their sacs were raptured for some reason.
After spending 2 days at a hospital Kissa was discharged home. Currently, she is on 3 types of different pills twice daily, plus she has to wear e-collar. It seems that she is recovering quite well, hopefully she will be ok. My other cat Shura is temporary moved to my aunt's place cause i am really afraid that he might hurt Kissa (he is very active and playful boy) while she is still weak and recovering.
So at the moment, my undecisiveness cost my Kissa 5 kittens, surgery, almost life; my Shura the excitement of moving in with other ppl; and my wallet more than $2000.00. And its not over yet, i still have to give my cat pills for the next 2 weeks, there also will be follow up vet visits. Kissa now requires basically 24/7 care, i litterally sleep with her on the floor cause i am afraid she might try to jump on the bed.
At the end i just want to say, if i had a chance to take it all back and change it, i would definitely do it. If i knew at the beginning that my Kissa will end up in this mess, i would not think twice and spay her.:wall::sorry::rip:

aslan
April 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
first off i hope your kitty makes a quick painless recovery..Please say the vet spayed her durring the surgery.

Now i'm just wondering. When you adopted your male " because nobody wanted the kittens". Why you thought it was a good idea to have a litter of your own unwanted kittens? Hopefully you get the male neutered now.

chico2
April 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Maruska,thank you for telling us of your heartbreaking experience:grouphug:

We all live and learn and hopefully someone will learn from your tragic story.
I would even say,it could open peoples eyes to the importance of s/n ,if it was in the news-papers.
:pray:Little Kissa(sweet name,means Kissing in Swedish) will be ok:goodvibes:

You know,many people would have given up on Kissa before spending $2.000 on a kitty,you certainly have your heart in the right place:grouphug:

chico2
April 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Aslan, many people think because the cats are very young,there won't be any babies.
Also many people think a female should have one birthing-experience,so very wrong:yell:but not everyone knows that:(
Or some people just don't care,get an adorable little kitten,then dump him when he grows up..only to be out there making more babies...

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thank you very very much for sharing your story. We can only hope a lot of people read it and take it to heart.
Sending lots of :goodvibes: for Kissa's continued recovery.
:candle::rip: little babies :candle:

Winston
April 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yes I second that! Thankyou for sharing your experience. There are so many reasons people choose this route but regardless we can only educate. You have done that today! although tragically there was not an optimal outcome,,,:thumbs up

I hope your girl recovers soon. How about some pics when she is feeling better!

:candle: rip little ones! run free to the bridge...

Jim Hall
April 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
wellnoe you have a cat and altjoughit was an expensive lesson YOu will come to cherish your little fighter, if you already dont

catlover2
April 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I do hope people are educated by reading your story, and get their pets spayed early (@ 4 mos.) before they reach sexual maturity.

As a former registered breeder I hoped every birthing would go well, but over the many years sometimes it didn't and then it was heartrending and expensive. Most breeders have their horror stories.

Maruska
April 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Aslan, u asking what was i thinking, well i didnt think. All i did is procrastinated.
Shura is scheduled to be neutered April 14th, next Wednesday.
Chico2, i have to say u r right on the point. I did kind of believed that i still have time before Shura will sexually mature and i also kind of thought that it might be more fair to the both of them to have one litter. In my defense, though its not a good excuse, i did find 3 homes that wanted to take little ones, all of them r close friends and good ppl.
Also wanted to add an update:
Kissa developed signs of mastitis overnight. First thing in the morning, i took her to the vet. Doctor thinks there is chance she might need surgery for that as well. She is scheduled to see vet on Tuesday morning. For now, we will have to do the epsom salt water compresses, the ointment on affected area, and one more set of antibiotics. I really hope, she will improve until then.

P.S. I will be glad to add pictures of both of them after Kissa recovers.
P.S.S. Thanks for ur support, Kissa needs every little bit of it.

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Sending more :goodvibes: for Kissa's quick recovery! She's had an awfully rough go of it. :( Hope she's feeling better soon!

:candle: kittens

MyBirdIsEvil
April 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
:cry::rip: Kittens.

I hope your kitty makes a full recovery. As far as her forgiving you, animals don't hold grudges for that kind of stuff and I'm sure she still loves you though. I think that's the worst part as a pet owner though, that you know they WILL forgive almost anything and feel like they shouldn't.

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
my Shura the excitement of moving in with other ppl

I must say as heartbreaking as the rest of your story is the above comment bothers me. Were you planning on giving Shura away? I can understand the being ignorant to the goings on of cats and ages of sexual maturity. I can understand not knowing you can abort an unwanted pregnancy (although the vet should have told you). I just can't understand why you would give away a cat you have adopted for life. :( Why? It is not his fault you did not get him fixed before sexual maturity. Why would you give up on him? I'm just confused I guess.
Let me tell you Shura would not have felt "excitement". He would have felt miserable because he lost his family he loved. He would have felt terrified leaving his home and going to a new one. He would have felt devastated. :(

chico2
April 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
14+.I think that is just a temporary placement,until Kissa is stronger and can handle his playful nature.

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM
14+.I think that is just a temporary placement,until Kissa is stronger and can handle his playful nature.

Nope, don't think so chico. :shrug: Shura has already been moved temporarily to her aunt's home. This comment was made afterward.
It's ok. It just bothered me.

chico2
April 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
yeah,it would me too,I guess I missunderstood:(

rainbow
April 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Maruska, thank you for posting your story. I am sorry for the loss of the kittens :( but I do hope that others will learn from reading your terrible ordeal. :fingerscr

Sending lots of good wishes for Kissa's health and full recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Winston
April 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
14+ here is a statement from the poster..I too think its only until recovery is complete.. I am hoping so anyway

My other cat Shura is temporary moved to my aunt's place cause i am really afraid that he might hurt Kissa (he is very active and playful boy) while she is still weak and recovering.

Maruska
April 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
"my Shura the excitement of moving in with other ppl;"
14+, it was a sarcasm. I do understand that it wasnt pleasant for him. Also, i m NOT planning to give him up, it just temporarly placement utill Kissa recovers a bit. On Wednesday, after his surgery he will be going home. I had to do it for two reasons: 1) i was afraid he might hurt Kissa during his very energetic games and 2) i was afraid he might try to mountant her. So, after his neutering surgery, i guess he wont be as playfull for the first day or two, hope Kissa will improve a bit as well, and the second problem will be eliminated too.

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Winston - here is another statement from the OP made after the one you pointed out -

So at the moment, my undecisiveness cost my Kissa 5 kittens, surgery, almost life; my Shura the excitement of moving in with other ppl; and my wallet more than $2000.00. And its not over yet, i still have to give my cat pills for the next 2 weeks, there also will be follow up vet visits. Kissa now requires basically 24/7 care, i litterally sleep with her on the floor cause i am afraid she might try to jump on the bed.

Maruska - I sincerely hope your original plan, had the babies survived, was not to rehome Shura and keep one of the kittens. Truly, sarcasm aside, that is the way it sounds. :shrug:
Not arguing. I know you have learned a very hard lesson. I salute you for that.

There is an old saying - Pets are for life.

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
It reads like a summary to me, 14+ :shrug: Like, "this is what this whole episode has cost us", which included Shura's stay at her relatives.

How is Kissa's mastitis tonight, Maruska? Is she feeling better? :fingerscr

14+kitties
April 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Yep, guess that's what it is. :shrug: Like I have said - it's over, lesson learned, 'nough said. :shrug:

mikischo
April 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Maruska, welcome to the forum and thank you so much for sharing your story. It may very well encourage some people who are procrastinating about spaying or neutering their kitties to go ahead and do it.

Kissa is a such a pretty name and it brought back memories because the very first kitty I had as a little girl was named Kisa. Our dad helped us pick the name and I believe it came from an Icelandic folk tale about Kisa the Cat that he had likely read as a boy.

Please keep us posted on how Kissa is doing. Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery and we are all looking forward to seeing pics of your furbabies.

Maruska
April 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I feel like breaking something. I am honestly so tired of this torture, i am having a break down :cry:
The biggest thing, i dont understand in this whole story is why my vet or aunt never told me this can happen.:wall::yell: I know, i might be not very bright, but at least i tend to listen to ppl.
Kissa, is probably hating me by now. All this feeding, treatment, pills. I just had the biggest fight with her over the pills. Both of us ended up in tears. She tried to pull at least 4 different tricks. When everything failed, she just bit through my finger. I know she never meant to hurt me because she gave me that "i'm sorry" look. Since we still had 1 pill to go, i continued. As a result, she run away from me after that with watery eyes.:cry: I feel so tired.:(
The good thing, she seems to enjoy warm compresses and her mastitis seems to stop progressing. Hopefully, tomorrow, it will start improving.

sugarcatmom
April 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I just had the biggest fight with her over the pills.

What pills are they and how much longer does she need to take them? Can you try giving them to her wrapped in a Pill Pocket (http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Products/felinepillpockets.aspx) or a piece of softish cheese? Sometimes coating them with butter also helps them go down easier, although they can also get pretty slippery to handle. Make sure you either give her some wet food or a chaser of water (tuna or salmon juice works even better) after all the pills to ensure that they don't get stuck in her throat and cause even more problems. Here is some info on why that's necessary, as well as some videos by Cornell University with tips on giving medication to cats:
http://www.catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/pill_or_capsule

catlover2
April 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
So sorry to hear you're going thro such a tough time. Just be persistent and patient in getting the pills into her. It may have to be a 2-person job---one to hold her mouth open, one to stuff pill down her throat. Wrap her mummy-style in a towel to keep her from struggling. In a few days the pills will take effect, and soon she will be over her mastitis. In a couple more days things will change for the better. :pray: We're rooting for you. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
April 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'm so sorry your girl had to go through this, and I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. I truly hope Kissa recovers fully.

Maruska
April 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Grrr-nyam-nyam to all))
First of all, i have to apologize for my last night's post. I guess we both were frustrated, so it ended up like it did. But we did settle our differences during nice long petting session before falling asleep :D.
Today, its been a very nice day for us, thanks to sugarcatmom))))). I did coat our morning pills with butter and it made a hugggge difference :thumbs up. I did try wrapping a pill in something tasty long time ago when they had to take tapeworm pills, it did not work for both of them. But again it was just one pill per month, so it can be hardly compared to now. Also, i m giving her water following every pill, just like vet suggested.
Another good thing, she jumped on the window sill today with what seemed like no effort at all :cat:
And the best news of today is that Kissa had a good, full, just like usually lunch by herself. For breakfast she had to be syringe fed, but when i was preparing her lunch syringe she came into the kitchen and demanded a meal. She was eating it as if she had not been fed for month, and afterward she demanded treats for dessert:D During the whole process she was making this funny noises, it was like she was growling, purring and saying naym-naym at the same time. It sounded something like "grrrrr-naym-naym" :laughing:
Her breast seemed to stay the same since yesterday, well at least mastitis is not progressing.
So, you can say that i am on cloud nine right now))) Thanks to your prayers and support, it seemed to work.
Grrr-naym-naym all :D (cant stop saying it)
P.S. Forgot to answer question. She will be on pills until April 22 (almost 2 more weeks). Currently, she is taking 3 kinds of different pills twice a day. I am glad we are done with Tolfedine, one less pill to give her)).

aslan
April 12th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Maruska i'm so glad to hear Kissa is feeling better..If one of the meds she is on is for pain,,watch her jumping up on stuff. She may not feel as much pain and could pull a stitch. Glad to hear you guys made up.

ancientgirl
April 12th, 2010, 08:15 PM
So happy to hear your girl is doing better.

I know that sound you're talking about. It is super cute and funny.

Maruska
April 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Tolfedine was her pain medication and we finished it yesterday morning. Right now she is only on anitibiotics. I guess, it could be one of the reasons why she seems to act more like her old-self, besides feeling better))

rainbow
April 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear that Kissa is feeling better :thumbs up and hope that her mastitis does not progress. :fingerscr

Speedy recovery Kissa. :goodvibes:

catlover2
April 12th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Glad to hear Kissa is eating and has turned the corner. Whew! isn't that a great relief? She should improve quickly now, and her mastitis will too. Good news!

MyBirdIsEvil
April 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Could you maybe buy one of these? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11938

It would make the pill giving a lot quickier and easier and less stressful. I think the main thing that stresses them out is how you react and how experienced you are with giving the pills. That's why vets seem to give pills with no issues and no fuss, the cat I think can tell they know what they're doing and the vet is quick at it.

lindapalm
April 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM
The pill popper that MBIE suggested works great, I'd be lost without it. I paid three dollars for it at my local pet store.

Maruska
April 14th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Grrr-naym-naym all))
I cant believe today is being as good as yesterday))) We visited vet this morning and since her breast stayed the same, doctror thinks it will be able to heal without additional surgery. :) Also, she said that it does look like Kissa turned the corner :D. What a relief to hear that))
About pill dispensing gun, i m not sure about it since it might stress her more than the actual taking of the pill. I guess, it will be better if i see how things are going and until i can give her pills with 'finger method', i try not to use the gun. Besides, i had very nice, long talk with Kissa about importance of taking pills and i think it worked. Well, u can call me crazy, but now she actually calls for my attention when its time to take those pills and after we are done she does not run away anymore :crazy:
Tomorrow Shura will be coming home as well)) So i guess, in a week or so i will be posting pictures of my babies :D
Grr-naym-naym all.

kungfuMao
April 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
:highfive:

So happy to read that Kissa (and soon Shura) will be back and well! A difficult struggle to endure, most definitely. But also good lessons learned. Not too late.

nikki.dee.3
April 14th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully this will make other people realise why their pets should be fixed. And im praying that Kissa recovers quickly.

My brother moved home with his two cats who were brother and sister. My mum already had 3 cats (all neutered) so this made a happy family of 5 cats. Until my brothers cat Jackie got pregnant! Needless to say my mum was not happy. Jackie eventually gave birth to three kittens. Due to the parents being brother and sister, we were a bit worried about what effects this would have on the kittens. Thankfully two of the kittens are fine (including my baby Mr Maloo) the third kitty, Felix, has a funny back leg which makes him limp slightly when he walks and has never really grown to cat size - he is definitely the runt of the litter! We were lucky on this occassion but as soon as they were old enough, the kittens and mum and dad got fixed (and mum got a group rate for taking 5 at the same time! LOL)

I firmly believe if you do not fix your animals, any litters are your responsibility to find homes for - I dont believe that they should be given to shelters or pet shops.

Maruska
April 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I guess i was getting excited too early.
Today before going to bed, i noticed Kissa's belly was wet. At closer examination i noticed crate-like opening about half inch long in her skin, right next to the stitch. So of course we run to the vet again. Doctor said its kind of expected in her condition, though its not very good. She gave me 2 options either take Kissa home or leave her there under supervision but there is nothing they can do at a moment. I decide to take her home. She said, its best for her to let puss drain on its own because she cannot operate on her since skin on the affected breast is very fragile at a moment and wont heal. Also, vet said that she cannot give pain killers right now because it will make Kissa less aware and less careful. So, i m lost what to do. Our regular vet would not be back until Saturday. At a moment she is definitely in pain and it seems like there is another opening forming.

catlover2
April 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
O dear, so sorry to hear of this setback....this just isn't going to be easy for you is it? There are 2 Emergency Vet Clinics in Toronto you could go: http://www.vectoronto.com/directions.php

Also there is the Toronto Veterinary Emergency Hospital (for specialty care a referral may be needed)
http://www.tveh.ca/Main.aspx

This situation to me sounds like Kissa should see a vet right away.
Good luck! :fingerscr

mummummum
April 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Poor little Kissa! There are also plenty of Vets who work weekends and into the evening. My old Vet office does: Downtown Animal Hospital.

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Just sending some :goodvibes: and :grouphug:s. I hope she gets over this latest hurdle soon!

Maruska
April 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Sorry i did not make my self clear. We did see vet this night. Actually, our vet clinic is 24/7 one but the problem is that our regular vet, the one who was looking after Kissa after surgery, took couple days off. Also, i called them this morning again and spoke to the doctor who did c-section, he basically repeated what overnight vet said :mad: In addition, i tried to convince receptionist to contact our regular vet so that i can speak with her at least on the phone. Receptionist promised to me that she will get in touch with our doctor to let her know whats going on (she is very nice girl and i did bring her doughnuts once))). So i m sitting glued to the phone.
On the other side, i gave Kissa black olive to take her mind off of the pain (she is in love with them even more than cat nip) and it seemed to help her a bit cause she was busy with it for about 2 hours. After giving her warm compress and trying to drain pus a little (that s what vet suggested), her skin color went back to normal and it seems like her pain subsided a bit, but it still looks really awful. Her appetite hasn't changed, so i guess its a good thing. Right now she is napping, i guess its kind of good too.
Unfortunately with this step-back i don't think i can bring Shura home just yet. So, he will be staying at aunt's place for couple more days :(

chico2
April 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Maruska,I am so so sorry for little Kissa,she's already suffered enough,hopefully someone will fix her up soon:pray:

Jim Hall
April 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
im sure she feels better for your care, she sounds like a fighter for sure

catlover2
April 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Any update on Kissa? I think you were wise to let Shura stay away for a few more days, at least until Kissa is really back to normal would be ideal. :goodvibes: for you & Kissa.

Maruska
April 17th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Hi there! Sorry for not posting any updates, just being busy a little.
Kissa is doing ok so far, no big changes.
I did get hold of our vet on Wednesday evening, and she said there was no need for me to panic. As she explained those crate-like holes in her skin is actually dead skin trying to fall off. Since she did have about 2$ coin size dead skin and the openings was forming right along that side, i guess it calmed me down a bit.
Right now, almost all pus is gone and dead part of the skin will fall off in a day or two. It doesn't look like she is in pain anymore, i guess most painful part is in a past. I also added to our routine the chamomile tea compresses in order to relief some stress on her skin. It seems to help her a bit.
Tomorrow, we will be seeing vet again.

kungfuMao
April 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
That is good to know! Hope things continue to progress smoothly & normally!! :pray:

Maruska
April 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hello, just wanted to post an update.
On our last visit to the vet, it was said that we are healing up nicely. Doctor removed dead part of the skin and suggested to change our routine. So, right now, we are just applying honey to the wound once every two days and keeping it all wrapped up from the outside world.
I brought Shura home today because my aunt have quests with allergies arriving tomorrow that will be staying for couple weeks and i just missed my boy (i guess main reason))).
This is where i have to ask for help: how do you stop cat from being jealous towards the other one? The moment i brought Shura home, Kissa started growling. When i went to the kitchen the growling stopped and they started sniffing each other (my husband was in a room with them to keep an eye). But the moment i came back into the room, the growling started again. When Shura came closer to me, Kissa started hissing. And when Shura started rubing against my leg, Kissa actually tried to attack him (good for them me and husband were quick enough to stop it). I don't know what to do at this moment. Just think about it, Kissa is all wrapped up in gauze bandage from shoulder blades to the hips, wearing e-collar, trying to recover from surgery and mastitis, is acting aggressive towards the cat she used to snuggle up. Shura is also is not in its best condition, he recently was neutered and currently wearing e-collar. I m trying to keep them in a separate rooms at a moment. But its not working well because they both know how to open it pretty well and that's what they are doing. Kissa is acting all nice towards Shura when i m not in a picture, the moment she sees him moving towards me or just sitting closer to me than she is, she is starting to act aggressive. I m actually considering to moving in with my aunt until they settle their differences, but that's just ridiculous. So, anybody, any ideas, please?:shrug:

catlover2
April 20th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Both of them are in recovery mode. But especially Kissa has had a rough go of it, and is likely still sore, and those E-collars are an annoyance and bother, so no wonder she's cranky. As along as they're not fighting, and Shura isn't attacking Kissa, as she's in worse shape, I would ignore her threats to Shura---at least she's being nice to him when you're not in the room, which is good! So it does sound like some jealousy here. Did she show jealousy to Shura before this all happened? Was she dominant over Shura before she had her operation? Try not to favour one over the other in affection but be equal about it. Sometimes it works better if you can give one affection, Shura, in this case out of the sight and hearing of Kissa, since she's the one that's doing the aggressive behaviour. He's been away and she's had you mostly to herself, except when she was at the vet's. I would just put her present behaviour down that she's still sore and not feeling normal yet, and is being aggressive in her behaviour to Shura to let him know who's boss and will not tolerate any rough housing. Hopefully when she feels better she will feel differently toward Shura. Cut her some slack and give her some time to heal.

Here's something else you might try. Interesting Kissa doesn't bother Shura in the kitchen. But if Shura comes near you and/or starts to rub against your leg in another room, before Kissa even thinks of attacking, give her a treat first, then give Shura a treat. Have some treats handy in your pocket or nearby so that you can reward immediately.

Maruska
April 20th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Thanks for your reply.
The biggest shock is that Kissa never growled, hissed or tried to dominate Shura before, except those first couple days when he first came to our house. But again, at that time they both acted like that and i guess it was kind of normal and expected behavior. Usually, Kissa is a mellow affectionate and Shura is a dominant bullish one. Right now its actually opposite, Shura is seeking attention but he is too scared. Also, both of them never showed before any signs of jealousy or anything simular.
I guess, you might be on to something, and Kissa is actually trying to show that she is not to be messed with.
The biggest thing that bothers me is that they might hurt each other while i ll be asleep. Both of them is pretty sure that bed-time is the best petting-time, so its sure enough they will desperately try to be in the same room.
I think, i figured out the way to stop them from opening doors, hopefully it work for tonight.
I have tried the treats trick you described, strange enough Kissa refused any treats while Shura was close by.
Also, i rubbed towel on Shura's face and then same side of a towel on Kissa's face, hopefully it will work as re-introduction.
I ll post how things is developing tomorrow. Hopefully night will be quite))).

Love4himies
April 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I am so glad you shared your story with us and hopefully you will stick around the forum to let others know what could be the consequences of allowing cats to get pregnant :pray:.

You must be so relieved that your little Kissa is going to be just fine :thumbs up :grouphug:

I agree that your two kitties must be kept separate while you are not home to supervise, but would give them as much time together as possible. I do find the treat trick does work to settle cats down and distract them from each other.

Poor Kissa has been through a lot and her hormones are probably still running amuck, she may not be feeling the best, and will be a little more cranky than normal. Lots of loving and quiet time should bring her around to her old self and her and Shura will be back to normal in no time.

ownedbycats
April 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Kissa has been spayed, but she hasn't had time for all the hormones to leave her system yet and no real kittens to focus on. She may have adopted you as a temporary "kitten" and is protecting you the way she would a real kitten. Give her a couple weeks, and see if she is still attacking Shira in your presence then.

Maruska
April 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
An Update:
My cats turned out to be smarter than i am. In the morning i woke up to both of them being in my bed.:D The good thing, Kissa seemed to accept Shura. During yesterday there still was some growling but not the I'm-going-to-kill-you kind, it was more of i-don't-like-you kind. Today there is no more growling. DH made a joke saying that true woman always blames her men for her misfortunes :laughing: I suspect it was one of the reasons for Kissa's aggression.
Currently, both of them healing up nicely and hopefully there would be no more setbacks:fingerscr:goodvibes:

JennieV
April 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
I think it took a lot of courage for Maruska to tell her story, and for that I thank her. I hope that her story will enlighten other people and inspire many many more to spay and neuter their animals.

Maruska, :thumbs up Glad to hear things are falling into place and the kitties are doing better.

catlover2
April 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
It sounds like Kissa is healing well, and feeling better. I doubt her crankiness and aggression will continue. Yes, I echo JennieV's sentiments. Congratulations, Maruska, for being so truthful about such a horrendous experience you (and Kissa) have gone through, besides the many $$$ that you 've spent for Kissa's vet care. :thankyou:

I really hope it does educate people to spay and neuter kittens early at 4 mos. which is not too early, as some kitties can mature sexually at 5-6 mos.

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
I am so glad to hear that, Maruska :thumbs up

Maruska
April 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hello everyone.
A little update: we are doing pretty good right now. Both of my babies are healing nicely. Vet said that on Tuesday Kissa's bandages can be removed))
I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum, you are being great support for us during this very difficult time. You helped to go strong and full of hope and did not let me be to break down. So Thank You from our small family:thankyou::cat:
And here some pictures of our babies:
That's Shura
http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3387
And this is Kissa
http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=454&pictureid=3385

ancientgirl
April 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm so glad they are both doing well. And they are both absolutely gorgeous.

hazelrunpack
April 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM
They're absolutely gorgeous, Maruska!! :flirt: I'm so glad things are getting back to normal for all of you! :goodvibes:

chico2
April 25th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Maruska,I am really glad they are both doing ok,they are both beautiful:cloud9: