Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Be Prepared

rainbow
April 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Apparently Hills (Science Diet) has succeeded in getting the American Animal Hospital Association to agree to train veterinarians to start giving nutritional assessments and food recommendations to help ensure that our pets are eating the right food so be prepared everyone.

Here's the article ....

http://secure.aahanet.org/eWeb/dynamicpage.aspx?site=media&webcode=prdetail&postKey=6388caf0-c23d-4690-b75c-60ad4e76eb50

DoubleRR
April 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, great idea. How about we get McD's to regulate human food while we are at it.

rainbow
April 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
LOL ....at least Mickey D offers salads. :D

aslan
April 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
is it just me or does it seem abit stupid to have a food manufacturer controling this..hmmmm wonder what food they're going to teach is the best..

rainbow
April 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Of course it's stupid but the manufacturers of both Science Diet and Medi-Cal unfortunately have the vets brainwashed. :(

ancientgirl
April 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
At least we know better.

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's really no different than how it has been--vets will by and large be making the same recommendations as usual :shrug: They still can't make you buy. :D

It'll be interesting to see if our vets change their tune. They're AAHA certified but have never had any problem with what we feed or refuse to feed our dogs. They've even embraced RAW for some of their patients. We'll see if that changes now that the AAHA might be pressuring them a little more.

14+kitties
April 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Should be interesting. I have had just about every experience with vets and food. From having Hills practically shoved down my throat (figuratively) to a vet who understands I feel what I feel is best to feed and that is not their food. One vet in my current office would totally push it. The other wouldn't.

Yeah, great idea. How about we get McD's to regulate human food while we are at it.

Y'know, with a good exercise routine and common sense McD's isn't that bad occasionally. The key is occasionally. JMO as an old McD's manager. :shrug:

pugsrule
April 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM
The sad part is that most vets do not have a clue re nutrition. But they do know economics, and they realize foods that are only available thru them is good business..............

Wonder if they will do free treatments when recalls happen? when dogs form crystals and stones anyway? When dogs get pancreatitis or bowel upsets in spite of? when diabetic dogs cannot be regulated on w/d crud?

cassiek
April 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Oh boy. That's all I got.

It's so unfortunate that there is such a lack of information on dog food and dog nutrition in general, forcing most people to turn to and take as the bible their vet's recommendations.

Especially in the smaller towns/cities, where vets are limited to begin with, it is very hard to find a vet that supports raw. I drive 40 minutes out of town for mine, simply because they don't push the issue with me and respect my decisions. (That or when it comes to my dogs food I tell them how it is. And that's that. No if's, and's or but's :laughing:)

chico2
April 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
My vet respects my desicion to feed my cats only Wellness canned,he never once suggested Hills or Medical,even to Vinnie who's overweight.
The vet-tech did though,but I told her.
My other vets kept pushing all the time and it got really tiring,one of the reasons I changed vet.

Frenchy
April 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
is it just me or does it seem abit stupid to have a food manufacturer controling this..hmmmm wonder what food they're going to teach is the best..

this is so ... I'm out of words :frustrated: I can't believe how stupid they are ! It's giving them too much power :wall:

At least we know better.

yes , we do , but so many people don't. And that's sad , that these people will trust this food to be the best for their pets :wall: