Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does the kitty have really greasy fur?

brianna079
April 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Fée (French for Fairy), is a super cute blue eyed Himalayan looking cat, about 1½ years old. This little kitty was brought to the shelter by a good Samaritan who picked her up as a stray.

When Fée showed up, she had a horrible coat, very greasy feeling and dirty. I gave her a bath, and she was no better. I thought that maybe I did not rinse her properly so I washed her again a few days later, and still no luck.

I just had some blood work done on her and the results were normal, and she was also sterilized yesterday.

Anyone ever encounter something like this?

:pawprint:

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Kitty may have been eating really crappy food at it's home or, being it was picked up as a stray, it was probably foraging in garbage to find enough to eat. Again, not healthy. Some cats simply do not know how to hunt. Or have never done it so aren't good at it.
I bet if you feed her good quality food (wet) you will soon see a difference in her coat. Especially if the blood work has come back normal and you know it's not health related.

rainbow
April 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I agree and would also say that it is food related ....what is she being fed?

brianna079
April 8th, 2010, 05:02 AM
She eats Hill's Science Diet (dry) for Active Adults.

Love4himies
April 8th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Yup, it is probably the food. Puddles started having very greasy fur when she was on crappy food and when I changed to half raw, half Nature's Variety Instinct her fur changed dramatically. Her blood work was also normal.

sugarcatmom
April 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
She eats Hill's Science Diet (dry) for Active Adults.

Definitely food related. Dry food, and Hill's dry food in particular, is the cause of a number of health problems in cats, poor coat being the least of them. Diabetes, obesity, allergies, kidney disease, inflammatory bowel disease, dental disease, bladder and urinary tract problems...... all can be traced back to a dry food diet. The best thing you can do for your kitty is make the switch to a quality canned food (or even raw). Here is some good info to read on the whys and hows of doing that: www.catinfo.org

14+kitties
April 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Definitely food related. Dry food, and Hill's dry food in particular, is the cause of a number of health problems in cats, poor coat being the least of them. Diabetes, obesity, allergies, kidney disease, inflammatory bowel disease, dental disease, bladder and urinary tract problems...... all can be traced back to a dry food diet. The best thing you can do for your kitty is make the switch to a quality canned food (or even raw). Here is some good info to read on the whys and hows of doing that: www.catinfo.org

Hey scm. I'm not sure how much pull brianna has with changing diets. This kitty is one that was brought to the shelter she works in. She's with the SPCA. Let's hope at the very least she can be taken off of dry on put on wet. :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
April 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
This kitty is one that was brought to the shelter she works in. She's with the SPCA.

Ah, I see. I totally understand that shelters can't afford to feed all the kitties wet food, especially when Hill's gives them big dry food donations (for alterior motives, but that's for another topic).

cell
April 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Since the cat had a bad coat when it showed up, I doubt the fact that it is being fed Hills now really factors into it. What the cat ate before is what's causing the issue with the oily coat. It could have previously had oils put on it's food which can seep out of the pores
It is also possible that the cat had something that ended up on the coat that is hard to get out like a natural or synthetic oil.
Perhaps a groomer would have a shampoo reccomendation or coat cleaning solution that would break the coat issue.

brianna079
April 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
yes, I do work at the SPCALL, and we feed Hills Science Diet at the shelter (I feed Orijen at home). Since we have the argeement with Hill's, I must feed that. I do however have Hill's canned food, would that be a better switch for her for now?

brianna079
April 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Ah, I see. I totally understand that shelters can't afford to feed all the kitties wet food, especially when Hill's gives them big dry food donations (for alterior motives, but that's for another topic).

scm - Hill's does gives us small bags of food for evey animal to take home when they are adopted as a trial (we have to buy our food we feed everyone in the shelter).

now if only we could get some kind of similar agreement with Orijen or another similar brand...

:pray:

14+kitties
April 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
yes, I do work at the SPCALL, and we feed Hills Science Diet at the shelter (I feed Orijen at home). Since we have the argeement with Hill's, I must feed that. I do however have Hill's canned food, would that be a better switch for her for now?

At this point any wet food would probably help. I am not a fan of Hills but I understand you have to use it.
Is it possible she got into oil or something else as mentioned by cell? Is it right down to her skin? Like it's seeping out of her pores? Or does it stop part way through her fur?

sugarcatmom
April 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I do however have Hill's canned food, would that be a better switch for her for now?

For sure. Canned anything is better than dry (if she'll eat it). Does she have dandruff as well, or is she shedding a lot? Stress can be a huge factor in coat quality, especially if a cat isn't grooming properly because of it.

Like 14+ and cell, I'm also curious about the nature of the greasiness. Is it all over, or just in certain areas? There is a condition called stud tail (not limited to just "studs", despite the name) where the oil glands at the base of the tail become overactive and result in greasy fur across the cat's lower back. http://www.petplace.com/cats/stud-tail-in-cats--supracaudal-gland-hyperplasia/page1.aspx

Jim Hall
April 10th, 2010, 12:38 AM
does it smell?

if its car grease dawn detergent is great

brianna079
April 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM
she does not have any dandruff or any shedding...and she is greasy all over.

it does not smell, and she has been washed twice already (pet shampoos have degreasers in them).

14+kitties
April 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
she does not have any dandruff or any shedding...and she is greasy all over.

it does not smell, and she has been washed twice already (pet shampoos have degreasers in them).

If that is the case and she has had a thorough health check then I would certainly suspect food. Drop the dry all together and just feed canned. It is hard to say how long she had been a stray before being brought in. Poor baby. The condition of a lot of the kitties I have brought in has been horrific. A lot of love and attention will have her turned around soon.
Thanks for caring so much. :thumbs up