Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

IT WORKED!!! One small victory for anti-BSL in the Toronto Star!

Babs
September 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but if my letter helped in any way to inspire this... it proves that we CAN have a voice! It appears more than one person has been in touch with the Toronto Star.

I can't believe it. In today's paper, there was an article that investigated almost every point I made in my letter to them on Tuesday, and more. There were interviews with people who work with Pits. The journalist even took the "Find the Pit" test!!!

Pit bull owners on defensive (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1094076610648)

Guys, write newspapers. Inform the media. If we are going to have any hope in fighting BSL we need to be heard, and heard loudly!!!

LavenderRott
September 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Great job Babs!

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 10:15 AM
I saw that lady that owns Fred and George on the news CP24 and City the other day. The also had the dog trainer Kirk that they are talking about. It's great that the Star is finally seeing that there is another side to this story! I have emailed numerous papers and the AG Michael Bryant. I am sure that those that love this breed will not take this discrimination lying down!! Give yourself a pat on the back Babs! Nice work!

Babs
September 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
Sam you should share your elevator story. That was absolutely horrible what happened.

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
I think I posted it in one of these threads... is that what you mean? Or should I share it with those know nothings like the stupid mayor - that's not Mel Lastman (un)fortunately...LOL ;)

It kinda got buried somewhere, here it is for those that missed out...

I too have been a victim of stupid people. Yesterday in my elevator I got on my with Briggs her tail wagging and she was panting; a man from the floor above was already on the elevator, he pretty much tried to climb the wall to get away from her - this is NOT the first time that they've encountered each other, but the first time that the man had this reaction... :rolleyes:
Another resident entered and we were talking about the issue and she just commented that I should watch the news at 6; a "gentleman" and his wife entered the elevator, he stopped and interrupted us by saying "what kinda dog is that?" I said "pit bull" like it was no big deal and started talking to the lady again. He starts yelling!!! "No. no, no!" He points at Briggs and says, "Those dogs are a MENACE, they should NOT be allowed in this building!" I smiled and just looked at him. :o :mad:
At this point I did not attempt to prove him wrong, in hind sight I should have, but I just was so surprised by the reaction.
So, now at the ground floor the a-hole gets out and announces to everyone in the lobby! "Watch out, there's a pit bull in the elevator! Pit bull in the elevator!" There was like 5 or 6 people standing a waiting - nearly all of them have encountered Briggs at one time or another. They just stood there and stared at this IDIOT!!

He's standing there blocking the door and won't let us out. The lady that I had been chatting with starts to get out, and "accidently" hits him with her cart... as we're walking away he is shouting to the other residents "That dog is dangerous, it's a menace and doesn't belong here!" Unfortunately I tend to be a little reserved sometimes when I am caught off guard so I just kept on my way - there's no reasoning to those jerks! :mad:

LavenderRott
September 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, Sammie, what was your dog doing while this man was spewing his filth? I have visions of him sitting there calmly while this man is going on about how dangerous he is.

krdahmer
September 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Hallelujah!!! Finally an intellegent article with the info that people need!!!

Way too many media outlets are making this debate all about "fear and shock" and trying to create a frenzy over the breed, when really the core issue is responsible pet ownership!!!

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Just out of curiosity, Sammie, what was your dog doing while this man was spewing his filth? I have visions of him sitting there calmly while this man is going on about how dangerous he is.

You're very right! She was sitting in the elevator somewhat calm (there was another dog there... :rolleyes: ) Her tail was going a mile a minute, and I even think that she was licking the other dog's face at this point... Some people are complete tools. :( :mad:

mastifflover
September 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Great work BABS and Sammie I am so sorry for the ignorance of some people. But people like that idiot on the elevator are never going to have there minds changed they just need some issue to bitch about. Funny he had to ask what kind of dog Briggs was I guess that is because he is so well informed about what he is ranting about.

Luba
September 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
It's wonderful to hear the positive informative sides of the story atleast NOW some individuals are listening :D

Princesss04
September 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
That is great news keep up the good work. Good Luck to you!!!!!!!!! :D

Spoiled
September 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Maybe my email helped to! Good job to all the people who wrote emails. :)

chico2
September 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
This is one of the wonderful things with the Internet,I have written soo many e-mails these last few days,regarding the cat-killers and BSL....could you imagine what it would be like if we had to sit down and write real letters,with pen and paper :D

LavenderRott
September 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
This is one of the wonderful things with the Internet,I have written soo many e-mails these last few days,regarding the cat-killers and BSL....could you imagine what it would be like if we had to sit down and write real letters,with pen and paper :D

It isn't the writing of the letters that will kill ya, it's the postage!

Catt31
September 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
Sammie, if I were you, I would have told that guy that Briggs was a poodle cross!!! LMAO!!!!! He probably had NO clue!!!!! What an idiot!!! :mad:

melanie
September 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
i would have said it was a giant goanna and watch out idiot. oh sammi, glad you didnt react, its the best way to react, it made him look like an idiot. give briggs a big kiss and say were sorry for the breedists