Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally!! Success!!!

14+kitties
April 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM
As a lot of you good folks know I have been trying to figure out a way to get Ace and Ajax into the sanctuary with the other kitties. After I neutered and released them they stuck around the fence practically 24/7.
Ajax, the younger one, had taken to climbing to the top of the fence and sleeping on the overhang. I figured it wouldn't take long before he either jumped in or fell in. Well, that happened sometime on Thurs night. :D When I went over to feed them on Good Friday he was sitting on one of the little platforms they have in there just chillin' with the rest of them. Like he'd always been there. :cloud9: Still won't let me touch him but I know he's safe from cars and everything else now. :thumbs up
So, that left Ace. He showed no interest in climbing the fence. I don't know if that was pure laziness or his poor feet not being able to hold onto the fence. :(
Anyway, I couldn't get him on Friday because once I feed him I can't get close. He is very food motivated. Sat I managed to pick him up but by the time I managed to get to the gate and open it he had wriggled his way out of my arms. Sun same thing. Yesterday he wouldn't let me close. Today he was acting lovy dovy so I tried getting him to come close while I was at the gate. He finally came close enough I could hold him and take the last bungee off to get the gate open. He's wriggling the whole while. :D I set him down inside the fence and he goes walking off as if he had always been in there. :rolleyes: By the time I left he was exploring more of the catuary quite happily. The other kitties are treating him like one of theirs. :thumbs up
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I will get pics soon.

Love4himies
April 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
WAHOO!!!! Those darn cats, just wish they would cooperate, would make life a whole lot easier :frustrated: :laughing:

Can't wait for the pics. :D

mummummum
April 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Holy cow you've got stick=to=it=iveness 14+ :thumbs up

Yes, yes pix pleeez!

Dog Dancer
April 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Oh Yaayy!!! How great is that! I am so happy for you 14+, what a relief to finally know they are both safe. I like the thought that maybe Ajax just drifted off to sleep and kinda tumbled in. It makes me giggle. (Sorry Ajax.) You do have the patience of a saint my friend.

rainbow
April 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
WOOOO HOOOO :highfive: and great to hear that they are all getting along so well. :cloud9: :thumbs up

krdahmer
April 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif:grouphug:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is AWESOME!!!! It's so great that they fit right in too!:thumbs up Can't wait to come see them!

14+kitties
April 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks ladies. It is so nice to look over there and see Ace wandering around with Ajax exploring. Ajax hadn't explored much either before now. I think he was waiting for Ace. It's amazing to see their bond. :cloud9:

Oh Yaayy!!! How great is that! I am so happy for you 14+, what a relief to finally know they are both safe. I like the thought that maybe Ajax just drifted off to sleep and kinda tumbled in. It makes me giggle. (Sorry Ajax.) You do have the patience of a saint my friend.

DD - I did the same thing. Pictured him kinda just sliding down the overhang half asleep. :laughing::laughing: :thumbs up

Now we just have Stormy to worry about.

chilli1327
April 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM
As a lot of you good folks know I have been trying to figure out a way to get Ace and Ajax into the sanctuary with the other kitties. After I neutered and released them they stuck around the fence practically 24/7.
Ajax, the younger one, had taken to climbing to the top of the fence and sleeping on the overhang. I figured it wouldn't take long before he either jumped in or fell in. Well, that happened sometime on Thurs night. :D When I went over to feed them on Good Friday he was sitting on one of the little platforms they have in there just chillin' with the rest of them. Like he'd always been there. :cloud9: Still won't let me touch him but I know he's safe from cars and everything else now. :thumbs up
So, that left Ace. He showed no interest in climbing the fence. I don't know if that was pure laziness or his poor feet not being able to hold onto the fence. :(
Anyway, I couldn't get him on Friday because once I feed him I can't get close. He is very food motivated. Sat I managed to pick him up but by the time I managed to get to the gate and open it he had wriggled his way out of my arms. Sun same thing. Yesterday he wouldn't let me close. Today he was acting lovy dovy so I tried getting him to come close while I was at the gate. He finally came close enough I could hold him and take the last bungee off to get the gate open. He's wriggling the whole while. :D I set him down inside the fence and he goes walking off as if he had always been in there. :rolleyes: By the time I left he was exploring more of the catuary quite happily. The other kitties are treating him like one of theirs. :thumbs up
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I will get pics soon.

Always good to see people helping animals in distress. With this situation, just remember that cats by nature are loners. They are not pack animals and prefer to be alone. They will come together for obvious reasons and they do have territories espescially the females. The only pack cat is the big cat, the lion.

I hope your animals do well and stay healthy.

14+kitties
April 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Always good to see people helping animals in distress. With this situation, just remember that cats by nature are loners. They are not pack animals and prefer to be alone. They will come together for obvious reasons and they do have territories espescially the females. The only pack cat is the big cat, the lion.

:laughing::laughing: Umm, thanks! :D Stick around now that you've found us and you will find out exactly what it is that I do. :thumbs up;)

luckypenny
April 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Wonderful news, 14+ :goodvibes:. Can't wait to see pics!

ancientgirl
April 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
That's fantastic! I'm so happy you were able to get them both inside, safe and sound!

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
That's great news, 14+! :highfive: Finally safe!!! :cat:

Frenchy
April 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
2 more amazing rescues by 14+ !! :thumbs up I'm so glad they're all friends :cat:

congratulation ! and I agree , you have the patience of a saint ! :angel:

Dee-O-Gee
April 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Patience is a Virtue! :angel:

:highfive: to Ajax and Ace! :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
April 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
14+ that is such great news!!!

14+kitties
April 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I got a couple of pics tonight but the little dickens of an Ace took off to hide under their trees. He wasn't used to me coming from the direction I did so I scared him. I did get one or two good ones of Ajax though. And of course some of the others. Will try to do a thread tomorrow.

growler~GateKeeper
April 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Excellent :highfive:

Chris21711
April 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Right on 14k :thumbs up....I didn't expect that there would be any kerfuffles since they had both been hanging around the catuary so often...I imagine that for the last while Ajax was thinking to himself "shall I? shan't I?....what the heck, here I come guys" :laughing:

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Right on 14k :thumbs up....I didn't expect that there would be any kerfuffles since they had both been hanging around the catuary so often...I imagine that for the last while Ajax was thinking to himself "shall I? shan't I?....what the heck, here I come guys" :laughing:

I too knew things were going to be fine. I would be more concerned if KittyMcKat or Benni got out of their enclosures. I know they are solitary kitties. Heck! Half the time Benni doesn't want her son around. Although when I let him out with the others she sure misses him. :cloud9: She's actually nice to him for a day or two. :laughing:
Ace has settled in like he's always been a part of the colony. We know he was with Ajax seeing as they were in the same trap together. And who knows, he may well have been with Orbit, Jupiter, Taz, and the rest before they were trapped and fixed.
Just have to add one thing. chilli1327 - Cats form colonies. They are very protective of their colonies, that's true, but they are not necessarily solitary beings. But with time, love, patience and the proper introductions all things are possible. I have found very few of mine are complete loners.

Love4himies
April 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Always good to see people helping animals in distress.
14+ is our kitty whisperer :angel:

With this situation, just remember that cats by nature are loners. They are not pack animals and prefer to be alone. They will come together for obvious reasons and they do have territories espescially the females. The only pack cat is the big cat, the lion.

Just have to add one thing. chilli1327 - Cats form colonies. They are very protective of their colonies, that's true, but they are not necessarily solitary beings. But with time, love, patience and the proper introductions all things are possible. I have found very few of mine are complete loners.

I have found the same as 14+kitties, they are not normally solitary if there is adequate food around.

BenMax
April 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
:laughing::laughing: Umm, thanks! :D Stick around now that you've found us and you will find out exactly what it is that I do. :thumbs up;)

For all that know you 14+K - we know who the Cat Whisperer is around here. You are a facinating woman whom I aspire to copy cat...:)

As always - what else can be said except you are an ANGEL.:angel: x 1000000000000000000

marko
April 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
That's fab news 14+ :highfive:

chico2
April 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Aww 14+,I am sooooo happy Ace is safe,I just love the look of him and Ajax of course,but Ace is very special,well they are all special:thumbs up
No fighting,hissing or growling??
Ace has been on the outside looking in for quiet a while,I am sure he wanted to join the others.
They know you to be a kitty-angel by now and whatever you do is a good thing:cat:
I am surprised Ace would let you pick him up,but then again,you are our very own cat-whisperer:grouphug:

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I am very excited Ace is now inside the fence. Of course today with the storm he would not let me near him. Took off under the house and hid along with at least half of the others. :D

I am surprised Ace would let you pick him up,but then again,you are our very own cat-whisperer:grouphug:

I guess you missed my thread last month when I said I had managed to pick him up. :rolleyes::D He doesn't like it much but it came in handy to get him inside the catuary. Not bad for an almost seven year old feral huh? :highfive: I wish I could get him to the vet to get that eye of his checked but that will have to wait till there is some money around. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

rainbow
April 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I got a couple of pics tonight but the little dickens of an Ace took off to hide under their trees. He wasn't used to me coming from the direction I did so I scared him. I did get one or two good ones of Ajax though. And of course some of the others. Will try to do a thread tomorrow.

So, ummmm, where's the pics? :yell:

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
So, ummmm, where's the pics? :yell:

:laughing::laughing: I have to resize them yet!! It was pouring rain today so a lot of kitties were hiding under the house. Give me a few minutes. I'll see what I can do. :thumbs up

rainbow
April 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
:laughing::laughing: I have to resize them yet!! It was pouring rain today so a lot of kitties were hiding under the house. Give me a few minutes. I'll see what I can do. :thumbs up

Just bugging ya ....take you're time since I haven't been keeping up with the pic forum :( cuz of all the page resizing I have to do. :o

14+kitties
April 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'll put Ajax's pic here for you then. Ace was one of the ones who hid on me today. :( I'll try again tomorrow.

rainbow
April 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM
What a handsome boy Ajax is. :lovestruck:

And, I really love how you have chairs provided for all of your kitty krew :cloud9: ......such a lucky bunch they are. :thumbs up

chico2
April 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah 14+,I've missed a lot lately:rolleyes::laughing:
Ajax looks great,if a little confused:cat:

14+kitties
April 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM
What a handsome boy Ajax is. :lovestruck:

And, I really love how you have chairs provided for all of your kitty krew :cloud9: ......such a lucky bunch they are. :thumbs up

Gotta's give them a place to chill. :rolleyes:

Yeah 14+,I've missed a lot lately:rolleyes::laughing:
Ajax looks great,if a little confused:cat:

Hopefully you will get your health issues fixed soon. :fingerscr:goodvibes:
don't think he's confused. That's just his look. :D

chilli1327
May 5th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Cat's by genetics and nature are loners, not social animals. They are "semi domesticated" animals. Given natural suroundings without human intervention, cats will normally lead solitary lives. Cats have been domesticated for roughly 8,000 to 10,000 years where as dogs have been domesticated for about 40 000 years. And their genetic makeup is different as well. Cats have 2 full sets of genes, which make adaptabilitly almost second to none, and dogs have what is called "slippery genes" which makes breeding them for desirable traits simply amazing.

If you watch the neighborhood cats, you will see that when they are out and about, they only come together for territorial issues, read fighting, and breeding.

Cats have an average range, radially of up to and a bit more than 2 miles. Almost eveyone who has experience with cats, it is in a forced domestic situation, and yes, cats are very adaptable and will be ok with this if they don't have a choice. Family cats that are well fed and outdoors will always come back and be part of the "family" for obvious reasons. Free food is so much better than worked for food! lol!

So there are social cats, yes, if they are forced into it, and there are the loner cats which is their natural way of life.

14+kitties
May 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I am not arguing with you. I know what I have been dealing with personally for the last four or five years in this area. I know the multitude of articles I have read about feral cat colonies - without human intervention or "free food". I watched for almost six months a cat who spent most of his day huddled up against my fence where my "managed colony" if that is what you chose to call it, lives. I know how happy he is now that he is in with the other cats. I live this daily.

I would be interested to know what articles you have gotten your information from. They may be worthwhile reading.

sugarcatmom
May 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
So there are social cats, yes, if they are forced into it, and there are the loner cats which is their natural way of life.

You're leaving out the profound influence of neutering, which typically has a dramatic effect on the social relationships of cats.

From Sarah Heath in The Welfare of Cats (http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/animal+sciences/book/978-1-4020-6143-1):

"When studies of the ethology and population dynamics of neutered colonies are compared with similar studies in breeding colonies, the most obvious differences relate to the absence of maternal and sexual behaviours, but another behaviour which is reduced in the neutered colonies is aggression to members of neighbouring groups (Bradshaw 1992). It is perhaps this alteration in social behaviour which explains the relative success of many multi-cat households..."

From the same book, a comment by S. L. Crowell-Davis:

"Historically, cats were considered to be an asocial, solitary species that had no need for companionship and preferred to be alone (eg Milani 1987). In spite of the recent findings that free-living cats choose to live in groups, form close relationships with particular conspecifics ("preferred associates") and engage in a variety of affiliative behaviours, this idea is still common in the popular press. This is unfortunate, since it often leads to the management and care of cats that is not in the best interests of their welfare."

Love4himies
May 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I have found that some cats like to keep their distance from others, but still close enough to watch them, others are extremely social. I have not come across one cat who avoided all other cats. In fact, it has been my experience that free roaming cats are actually attracted to the scent of other cats, even ones who are kept inside.

ancientgirl
May 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I have 3 cats that love being around each other. I have one that was a stray for 3 years and while she doesn't cuddle with the others, she does play and touch noses with them, and when there's something going on, she joins the group and runs to see what's going on. Then I have one that would do very well being a one cat household cat. Despite this however, she does join in when there's something interesting to see, she does now and then play with the others and she even rubs her face with her arch nemesis now and then.

Even some species of large cats travel in packs. If that's not social, I don't know what is.

14+kitties
May 6th, 2010, 12:03 PM
If you watch the neighborhood cats, you will see that when they are out and about, they only come together for territorial issues, read fighting, and breeding.

So if I told you that these two particular cats were actually trapped together in one live trap; that they spent not one night separated from one another; that once released they almost immediately found the fence for my cat sanctuary; that I have never once seen either of them do anything but love the other, costantly grooming, etc; that they are still never too far away from each other even with all the other cats that surround them; I suppose you are going to tell me that they are the exception to the "rule"? I agree they are exceptional. Those two, both males btw, absolutely live for each other. :cloud9:

I have seen and read about a ton of feral cat colonies. I belong to a feral cat group where a lot of members look after feral colonies. They were colonies before any human intervention. There are/were a lot where there is not "ready" food available for them. They have to hunt mice, rabbits, whatever to survive. I have not heard of many of them leaving the colony to strike out on their own. They also do not like new cats coming into their area. They will fight these new ones to defend their territory but very seldom fight amongst themselves. Interesting, no?

I presently have six in the house. They were not raised together. Over the last couple of years or so for one reason or another, I have brought some of them into the house. Up till recently I had seven but I had to have one pts. :( They do not fight. They have little squabbles. Mainly Timmy and Dayle, a brother/sister pair. I call that sibling rivalry. :D They even get along very well with our two dogs. They steal dog food right out of Sammy's dish as she's eating. It's pretty amazing to watch.

I am sorry but I think the cat is an extremely social animal. Maybe they just don't show it the way we are used to seeing it.

catlover2
May 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
14+k, Thank you for caring so much! You're an :angel: good work! I admire you :thumbs up

chilli1347 - most cats are solitary hunters that's true, but I beg to differ that "domestic" feral cats are "not social animals" as you say. Most feral colonies are females, with males coming around occasionally to mate, or a few hanging out with the group waiting for a female to come into heat. Females often help other females nurse and groom kittens, and babysit. Even when females are spayed and released most still prefer to hang out in a group with their cat friends rather than be alone. .... at least that's my observation and also what I've read.

chico2
May 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have to agree,any cats I have had over the years are very social,lovable and smart:cat:
Maybe you don't have any experience with cats,it certainly sounds like it,a cat,dog or any animal will,if treated with loving care,give it back thousand fold.
Of course if you don't give a cat any affection or recognize him as part of your family,you will never experience what a wonderful little cat is all about.
Also,if anyone can speak of cats,feral or not,14+ has a wealth of experience.

Frenchy
May 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I am sorry but I think the cat is an extremely social animal. Maybe they just don't show it the way we are used to seeing it.

I totally agree. Someone posted a video on FB , about a cat refusing to leave another cat that died after being hit by a car. :( I couldn't bring myself to look at it. :(

I look at 14+ cats , and the cats at one SPCA , they are all together in one room , and they all get along :shrug:

14+kitties
May 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have to agree,any cats I have had over the years are very social,lovable and smart:cat:
Maybe you don't have any experience with cats,it certainly sounds like it,a cat,dog or any animal will,if treated with loving care,give it back thousand fold.
Of course if you don't give a cat any affection or recognize him as part of your family,you will never experience what a wonderful little cat is all about.
Also,if anyone can speak of cats,feral or not,14+ has a wealth of experience.

I totally agree. Someone posted a video on FB , about a cat refusing to leave another cat that died after being hit by a car. :( I couldn't bring myself to look at it. :(

I look at 14+ cats , and the cats at one SPCA , they are all together in one room , and they all get along :shrug:

Thanks for the support ladies. :grouphug:

Frenchy
May 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the support ladies. :grouphug:

Duece put me up to it. You may find your phone bill to be a bit higher this month , he called me to tell me how nice he had it at your place :D he also had this message for my dogs : http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/10.gif

:confused: :laughing:

Dog Dancer
May 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Frenchy there was a video recently on yahoo that showed a squirrel that wouldn't leave another that had been killed on the road. The squirrel was actively chasing the crows away, and at one point actually laid out over top of the dead squirrel to protect it's body. It was heartbreaking and touching and enlightening.

14+kitties
May 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Duece put me up to it. You may find your phone bill to be a bit higher this month , he called me to tell me how nice he had it at your place :D he also had this message for my dogs : http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/10.gif

:confused: :laughing:

Ha!!! Funny! I will keep an eye out for that call. May have to send you the charges. :p
Funny he doesn't hardly bother with Sammy any more. Sammy is usually right up at the fence and Duece hardly looks at her. :shrug: Probably because there is a fence between them. :D

chilli1327
May 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
"Why Domestication Took Longer With Cats Than Other Animals
Cats are not considered fully domesticated. In fact, cats are said to be the most domestic of the wild animals, and the most wild of the domestic. There are a couple of factors that have led to this development. First of all, with the exception of the lion and the cheetah, cats are solitary creatures. This is unlike any other domesticated animal. The survival of the cat does not depend upon a group; they answer only to themselves, as a general rule. Horses and dogs, though, follow a leader, an alpha. This natural group instinct makes it very easy for humans to become the alpha, the pack or herd leader, so to speak. A cat, not possessing this instinct, does not follow so easily."

Read more at Suite101: Domestication of the Cat: How the Feline was Domesticated http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/domestication-of-the-cat#ixzz0omszooaP

Cats, like I said are semi domesticated. There are many articles that show this. Are perception is what differs. If you compare the cat to the dog, you will see this. And there is a reason for that, with dogs and their "slippery" genes. I did not say cats are wild, I said semi. Like livestock etc, they have changed from their wild brethren by selective intervention in their breeding, starting in Egypt.

ancientgirl
May 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I'll read that to the two boys sleeping together, the former stray purring and sleeping on my lap, and the other two girls that follow me around every room of the apartment.

chico2
May 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
A-G,I agree my 3 are dependant,obedient(come when called),loves to be with us and cuddle,there is nothing wild about my boys.
I would even say,they love us as much as we love them:cat:

14+kitties
May 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
"Why Domestication Took Longer With Cats Than Other Animals
Cats are not considered fully domesticated. In fact, cats are said to be the most domestic of the wild animals, and the most wild of the domestic. There are a couple of factors that have led to this development. First of all, with the exception of the lion and the cheetah, cats are solitary creatures. This is unlike any other domesticated animal. The survival of the cat does not depend upon a group; they answer only to themselves, as a general rule. Horses and dogs, though, follow a leader, an alpha. This natural group instinct makes it very easy for humans to become the alpha, the pack or herd leader, so to speak. A cat, not possessing this instinct, does not follow so easily."
Read more at Suite101: Domestication of the Cat: How the Feline was Domesticated http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/domestication-of-the-cat#ixzz0omszooaP
Cats, like I said are semi domesticated. There are many articles that show this. Are perception is what differs. If you compare the cat to the dog, you will see this. And there is a reason for that, with dogs and their "slippery" genes. I did not say cats are wild, I said semi. Like livestock etc, they have changed from their wild brethren by selective intervention in their breeding, starting in Egypt.

Mmm, interesting that you keep coming back to this. I may note that anyone can write an article about anything. I believe I could write an article as well and make it sound believable. Does not make it so.
Yes, I agree cats are not the "social" animal that dogs are. Cats will not always lower themselves to the level we desire them too. :rolleyes: Does not make them unsocial. They are quite social when they want to be.
But your argument is that cats are solitary by nature. I still say - prove it to me. Show me concrete proof that cats do not come together and form bonds. Show me please and I will show you, and tell you about, many many instances where cats do want to be with others of their kind.
I too can find many articles written about the sociability of cats. One of note - http://www.messybeast.com/soc_cat.htm
But you feel my cats, because they are forced to be together, are not happy? Is this the main crux of your argument? Interesting that I have had so many climb the fence to be with other cats. :shrug:

Just to add: I went over to the sanctuary to do a check on the kitties before letting them settle for the night. Funny - there were 17 in an area measuring about 10 by 10 feet. They have a 1/4 acre to share. Yes, the ones who want to be left alone have plenty of space to find a spot to be alone. Most of them don't.

ancientgirl
May 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
You know, when Czari was still an outside cat, I would spend time with her in the mornings before work. In the year before I finally brought her inside, with success, she waited for me every morning. I bought her food and gave it to the maintenance man, he fed her, not me. Yet, she was always waiting for me in the morning, waiting to sit on my lap and be petted. Before her trust in me began however, I'd see her hanging around with other cats in my complex. There were always cats wandering behind the complex, but those "solitary" cats, would always come together in the same spot to be together.

My most independent cat, Oksana, who likes to be on her own the most, still chooses to be in the same area as the others. Far away from the others, but in the same area.

I don't subscribe to the thinking that cats, all cats, are solitary. I don't doubt that maybe some cats like to hunt alone, or spend some time by themselves, but ultimately they seek out companionship when there are others around.

Love4himies
May 24th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe I have been extremely lucky to get very sociable kitties :shrug:, but the only time I have seen one of my cat's anti social was when he was dying :(. My semi feral, who was 3 yrs old before coming into a home, would never be happy without a buddy kitty, she just loves all of her new friends. She even meows every morning to come into my bedroom to flop herself on my head for scratches :cloud9:. Jasper meows for his buds when they are not around.

IMO, cats are comfortable with what they "know" as a lifestyle and ferals who soon come to "know" a home life with humans become very social and lovebugs:lovestruck:

Nobody will ever convince me that cats are not sociable, I have never seen that in my cats.

chico2
May 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Chilli,we actually recommend to anyone,never to have only one cat,2 or more is always better.:thumbs up

catlover2
May 24th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I've been following this thread, and thinking about the "solitary hunter" thing. In my experience, thinking back, when at one time I allowed my spayed/neuter cats to be outdoor/indoor cats (no longer do I do that now by the way), they did go off by themselves to hunt. But my indoor cats (and the indoor/outdoor cats as well) did show in the house what I' call "cooperative hunting". When one would starting chattering doing that clack-clacking sound with their mouth when they spotted some prey---be it a fly, beetle, moth or a bird outside or one time a bird fell down our chimney, that sound alone would bring the others running to see what's the prey. Often they would all try to catch a fly or moth that had got into the house. Sometimes they would share in "the kill", other times one grabbed it and warned the others off that it was "theirs" by a growl. Even if I imitate the "clacking" noise in another room, both my cats will come running in to see what I've found.

I'm wondering now if this is an instinctive hunting behaviour. I remember seeing some time ago on an "Animal Planet" TV show about a tribe of tree-dwelling monkeys (can't remember the name of them) that did exactly the same "clacking" sound when one spotted something interesting and they all came quickly to see what it was. So maybe cats at some time, while certainly aren't monkeys, maybe were tree-dwelling animals or observed the monkeys and imitated them? Monkey see, monkey do? :laughing::laughing: I do know that animals will certainly imitate behaviours that they observe from others, crows and ravens are known to do that.

14+kitties
May 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I've been following this thread, and thinking about the "solitary hunter" thing.

While I do agree they are solitary hunters, sort of because I have seen them hunt in pairs as well, I do not believe they are a solitary being. Even cats who tend to be by themselves more so than others at certain times search out the others.
Truthfully, I don't see how a thread that started out as a celebration of getting Ace in with the rest of the cats has turned into a discussion on whether or not he, figuratively speaking, should be there. :shrug: Clearly he made his choice. I just chose to aid him along.

catlover2
May 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I agree with you, 14K, that cats aren't "solitary beings" generally speaking , tho there are a few exceptions who do prefer to be alone. I like to think of them as communal beings who prefer to be with a group, as I mentioned in previous comment to chilli1327 in this thread on May 6.

14+kitties
May 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I agree with you, 14K, that cats aren't "solitary beings" generally speaking , tho there are a few exceptions who do prefer to be alone. I like to think of them as communal beings who prefer to be with a group, as I mentioned in previous comment to chilli1327 in this thread on May 6.

No problems. :thumbs up I just find it interesting that when he shows up this is the one thread he hits and then he disappears again for a couple of weeks. :shrug:

ancientgirl
May 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
No problems. :thumbs up I just find it interesting that when he shows up this is the one thread he hits and then he disappears again for a couple of weeks. :shrug:

Probably looking for more articles to support that whole solitary cat nonsense.

14+kitties
May 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Probably looking for more articles to support that whole solitary cat nonsense.

:laughing::laughing: Maybe. :shrug: