Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whining/Howling Puppy

mochagirl
September 2nd, 2004, 10:16 AM
We have just adopted a 9 week old puppy. She whines the moment she feels that she's alone, then whines and howls when she knows for sure.

We use a gate to confine her to the laundry room over night. She has a bed, some toys, etc. However, whenever she wakes, she begins whining and howling, and it will last for at least a half-hour.

During the day, we play with her quite a bit, but use a crate for about an hour at a time to aid in housetraining. Of course, she barks and howls when she's in the crate as well.

I realize this is common for puppies, but what I would like to know is exactly what we should be doing with her to get her past this as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help.

BTW...I have read a lot about housetraining, but I'm not sure how much time she should spend with us in the house but not in her crate?

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 01:13 PM
Mocha, try placing a hot water bottle in her bed. Wrap it in a blanket and make it nice and cuddly. Puppies like the warmth and comfort of a companion, this might help. Is this puppy recently taken from its littermates and mother? That might take a bit to get used to for the little girl.

mochagirl
September 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Yes, she has recently been separated from her litter-mates.

We're struggling with all the conflicting advice regarding housetraining. We have a crate, and we do use it...of course she whines while she's in it...especially at night.

During the day, my daughter spends most of the day playing with her, which is probably making the situation worse, so I've instituted a rule where she can play for an hour, then go outside, then in her crate for an hour, then outside, then play...etc.

What do you think?

sammiec
September 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
That's not too bad. A great book - Good Owners Great Dogs address issues simialr to this. The author is a professional trainer, he believes that when little the puppy should be only played with for 10 minutes out of every hour (or something like that) this decreases the dependancy that the puppy might have on you or family members. It's VERY hard to follow this with such a cute puppy, I know. :o :p
I would definately try the water bottle to warm her bed. Wrap it a couple times in the blanket so that it's difficult for her to get to! (so she doesn't chew! ;) )

mochagirl
September 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

You're right, it's way too difficult to give her only 10 minutes per day.

I think for now we'll try to stick with this new plan. I only hope that she'll rapidly grow out of the nighttime howling/barking/whining.

heidiho
September 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Wish i would of known that myself//

TalonsMa
September 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
Our little puppy is 9 weeks old, and she did that a bit when we first got her! So I understand your frustration :) We will play with her for a bit, then outside, then in her crate or "pen" - our entryway blocked off with a babygate. She LOVES her crate, which makes us extremely happy. She had to learn to have some independance, which she didn't like at first, but I agree the water bottle and a clock that ticks nearby (not in the crate as she'll chew it.) We didn't use the clock, we used a clock radio as we discovered she didn't whine or howl if she heard us talking nearby, so we have her clock radio on a really boring talk show, but it seems to work :)