Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vlad's eye.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I started noticing on Saturday that Vlad has this sort of white almost light green looking stuff coming out of the corner of one of his eyes. He hasn't been acting different than usual, so I'm not worried it's anything serious, but I decided to get him to the vet on Wednesday.

My dilemma is taking him in. He gets so stressed and aggressive. The last time they had to give him some gas to calm him down and just be able to examine him. I can't afford for them to gas him this time, it's very pricey, but I also don't want them to give him a shot that knocks him out totally.

I asked the girl that took my appointment to have the vet call me because I need some sort of sedative pill to give him before going in. The Xanax does nothing for him. He's a big boy, and strong as an ox, he can really hurt someone and himself if he's not given something.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I had asked about giving him some Benadryl, but they told me that for some cats it doesn't make them loopy, it makes them even more agitated. I don't want him MORE agitated!

Winston
April 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
AG this is gonna sound strange but what about just trying to dab a steeped tea bag that is just warm to the area. I used to hear my grandma say that would cure anything with your eye! Or just a nice warm wash areound the eye..maybe just some goup build up? :D

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I thought it was just built up goup too, but I've been washing his eye out a few times a day all this weekend and I still see that stuff coming out of his eye.:shrug:

rjesak
April 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
You could maybe test run Benadryl. I gave it to Oscar and it took a long time to take effect but then he was limp kitty for the next three hours - a rag doll showed more animation than he did! :laughing: Of course, then you might as well just knock him out. :shrug:

When I had to take Oscar up north, we had to get something to calm him before we went home (he or I would have died on the trip back - when he gets nervous, his breathing gets really REALLY bad). They gave him a shot of Diazepam. When I discussed bringing him back, they suggested that they could give me a prefilled syringe so that I could give it to him before heading up. It didn't knock him out at all but he was perfectly calm all the way back. :cloud9:

14+kitties
April 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
AG - if Vlad is acting himself in all other respects couldn't you just take a picture of the eye when it has the goop on it and email it to your vet? She may be able to tell you if it is something serious. If he isn't sneezing or coughing, and I mean more than once or twice, then maybe something just irritated his eye. If you did that and described to her what was happening it may help. That way Vlad is not stressed more then necessary and your wallet isn't either. :shrug:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
You could maybe test run Benadryl. I gave it to Oscar and it took a long time to take effect but then he was limp kitty for the next three hours - a rag doll showed more animation than he did! :laughing: Of course, then you might as well just knock him out. :shrug:

When I had to take Oscar up north, we had to get something to calm him before we went home (he or I would have died on the trip back - when he gets nervous, his breathing gets really REALLY bad). They gave him a shot of Diazepam. When I discussed bringing him back, they suggested that they could give me a prefilled syringe so that I could give it to him before heading up. It didn't knock him out at all but he was perfectly calm all the way back. :cloud9:

My worry if I test him out at home with the Benadryl and he gets more aggressive he'll take it out on the others.

I did though manage to call the vets office and spoke with my friend there, and she talked to one of the other vets and I'm getting him some valium, which is the diazepam you just mentioned. Diazepam looks like it's the generic name. I'm getting some this evening and I can test it on him tonight.

I don't want him knocked out either, just calm enough so he's not a danger to himself or anyone examining him.

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
AG - if Vlad is acting himself in all other respects couldn't you just take a picture of the eye when it has the goop on it and email it to your vet? She may be able to tell you if it is something serious. If he isn't sneezing or coughing, and I mean more than once or twice, then maybe something just irritated his eye. If you did that and described to her what was happening it may help. That way Vlad is not stressed more then necessary and your wallet isn't either. :shrug:

I wish I could do that. I love her to death but the vet they see works the evening to morning shift, and she's so hard to get a hold of even on the phone. The times I've left messages she's called me at 2 or 3 in the morning because it gets so busy in the evening with walk ins and emergencies. That's why I figure I'd just take him in and have all of her attention. The Valium I'm getting tonight to see if it keeps him calm will cost me about $6.00 which is better than $45 for a sedative or to gas him. Luckily I have some money saved so I can use it for his exam.

rjesak
April 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
You're absolutely correct - Diazepam and Valium are the same thing. Good luck - I don't know if Valium will knock him out or not but he CERTAINLY shouldn't be more aggressive! :laughing: The times I've taken Valium, I don't know if I could have been aggressive if I'd WANTED to be! :cloud9:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
You're absolutely correct - Diazepam and Valium are the same thing. Good luck - I don't know if Valium will knock him out or not but he CERTAINLY shouldn't be more aggressive! :laughing: The times I've taken Valium, I don't know if I could have been aggressive if I'd WANTED to be! :cloud9:

Yeah, I'm hoping he reacts the same way, on :cloud9:

I decided to do the Valium in pill form, because I'd read that there is a rare risk of liver problems the pill form of Diazepam. The injection for Diazepam was okay, but I know there is no way I'll be able to inject him.

chico2
April 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
A-G,I asked my vet when I had Vinnie there last week(Vinnie scratched the vet in the face:yell:)about giving Rocky something to calm him down,but he was totally against it.
Rocky is going next week for his blood-test and he howls all the way there and does not like the bloodtest,however my vet said,he does not like to sedate any cat,he's a vet and has staff to help him out.

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know if Valium will knock him out or not but he CERTAINLY shouldn't be more aggressive!

Actually, some animals may experience a paradoxical reaction to Valium and become more aggressive or excitable while on it. It's not common, but something to be aware of. http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning-center/professional-monographs/diazepam-for-veterinary-use.html

I'm with chico2's vet on this one, I personally think sedating cats just for a check up shouldn't be necessary. Even most feral cats, using the correct technique, can be handled without drugs. AG, maybe your vet needs to read this book: http://www.lowstresshandling.com/ :D

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys. I think I'm going to try an eye wash or something daily. His right eye is the one in question, and it's often teary. I'm wondering if his tear ducts get clogged up. Maybe an eye wash daily will help.:shrug: His appointment is Wednesday so maybe I can try this and won't need to take him in.

Do you guys think some saline solution would be helpful or should I get something at the vets office?

quincymycat
April 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
saline only if it is sterile...or you could make it worse and always clean away from the middle of the eye...one swipe, one piece of gauze then discard.
I get mild eye infections passed around here often as they are always batting one another around.....

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 07:26 PM
It's actually the corner of his eye where it's all mucky.

quincymycat
April 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
then same advise but the other way...the main thing is to not drag the discharge across the eye and spread any infection. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Okay, thanks! I'll get a small bottle of saline solution and start washing his eye.

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hey AG - how did the appt go with Vlad? :fingerscr

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I didn't take him. I got some Saline and started wiping his eye 2 times a day and it looks better. No goopy greenish stuff coming out of the corner. Since he gets so stressed out, I decided to just hold off. I always take them in 2 times a year, just for a general check up, and he just had his first one in February. And since he wasn't acting out of character for him, I figured it wasn't really bothering him a lot.

Thanks for asking!

14+kitties
April 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Good!! Glad it is under control now. :thumbs up