Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions? Where's the best place for him?

Gail P
April 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'm currently taking care of my mom's dog for her. My mom's been hospitalized and we don't know at this point for how long. I've been going over to her house daily to take care of Buddy, and I don't mind doing that but I'm trying to decide where is the best place for him to be right now as he spends most of the day alone right now. I could bring him to my house, but I'm worried that would be hard on him. He's an old dog with some health issues and doesn't get around well, so bringing him into my wild crazy pack he would no doubt get bumped around a lot and possibly knocked down. My brother said he could take him to his house, which may be the long-term solution if we find out that my mom can't take care of Buddy herself any more (it's going to be a long recovery), but right now my brother is not home too much either between work and going to visit the hospital. My mom's hospitalized in Toronto which is where my brother lives, so although I've been to see her he's the one who's going daily while I'm taking care of things at this end.

Buddy is eating well, doesn't need much exercise since he doesn't get around well and seems to be pretty content where he is, he just spends most of the day alone so I'm trying to figure out what's best for him at this point. Any thoughts?

mummummum
April 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM
If it were me, I would much rather have him with me. Not only because of his health issues but I would worry that boredom, loneliness and the Where's My Mum?'s would lead to depression. Can you x-pen or babygate him somewhere in your house?

Gail P
April 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
My first thoughts too were to bring him here, but I'm concerned that it might be too much for him.

My house is pretty open concept through the kitchen and living room area, with a hallway down to the bathroom and bedrooms. The only place I could really separate him here would be in the basement, unless we totally clear out my daughter's playroom (which used to be our spare bedroom) and make that his. It is so cluttered with toys and stuff that while not an impossible job, it would take quite a while to get done and I'm not sure where we would put everything. Just about every inch of that room has stuff piled up in it that would have to go somewhere else. That room is currently gated off to keep the dogs from getting into everything.

If I put him in the basement he will still be alone except when I'm down at the computer, or if I run the other dogs out in the yard and bring him up. He can't do stairs anymore, but my basement does at least have a door to the outside so those stairs wouldn't be an issue. He wouldn't be able to go up and down the steps into my backyard though, they're too steep for him. He would only be able to go in and out the front door of my house or the basement. I could set him up a bed in the office, but the rest of the basement is cold and damp and not good for his arthritis. With already having 9 dogs in the house there isn't really any other spare space to try to section off for him unfortunately. Most of my dogs do normally also follow me down to the basement and sleep around my chair when I'm at the computer. If Buddy was steadier on his feet and I wasn't concerned about him getting knocked around I wouldn't think twice about just bringing him over and keeping him here with my dogs for now. He's easy to get along with.

Goldfields
April 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Couldn't the stuff from the playroom go into the basement and the dog have that room so he at least sees and hears everything that's happening? I ask that not knowing how old your daughter is or how important that playroom is to her of course. My 10 dogs are inside too and I know what it's like living with wall to wall dogs. (sigh) :D

DoubleRR
April 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Maybe this is the opportunity to clear up the playroom? :shrug:
If he is elderly, boxing up some of it to one side might work--the rest to go to basement or wherever it might need to go.:) If he is used to you, he might feel better in your home than alone--and if he ends up with your brother, being in your home first would help with the transition from his long time home.

LavenderRott
April 4th, 2010, 01:11 PM
IMHO - because he is older and just can't fend for himself at your house, bearing in mind that he spends most of his day sleeping, he is probably fine where he is. He is surrounded by things and smells that he knows and he is comfortable there. My concern being that - your household of 9 younger more active dogs may be overwhelming and he might get run over, stepped on, etc.

Maybe you could make an extra trip or two over to Mom's to see him.

Marty11
April 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Maybe you could arrange more visits from others as well. The dog is probably comfortable left at home.

Tundra_Queen
April 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
If it was me, I'd bring him to my house. I don't like animals being alone, plus if there ever was a fire, God Forbid, no one would be there to try and save him.

The basement worries me because they are normally damp and if he is older the dampness would get into his bones.

Could u not ask your daughter to help U clean up the playroom? Ask her what she'd like to keep and give the other stuff away to other kids that need it more? Also, maybe put shelves up on the wall in the playroom to hold some of her toys and make more floor room? You could also get some garbage cans and store things in them in the playroom?

Debbie

TeriM
April 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I think you should bring him home. In our experience the dogs are actually very good with our senior (ok we don't have nine :D) and she is very good at staying out of their way when they are rambunctious :D. I think if you knew this was short term then you could leave him but knowing it could go much longer I would worry a lot about depression and other problems like if he fell or something and hurt himself :(. Chances are pretty good he will just find himself a nice quiet corner to hang out and watch the happenings.

I would much rather someone have my dog with them then be left alone even if there was a chance it would get bounced around a bit :shrug:. You can always take the dog back home if it turns out to be too much.

I like the suggestion of an x-pen so he would be protected from the others until you see how things are handled :thumbs up.

Gail P
April 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
For the time being, Buddy seems to be quite happy and content where he is. I'm going over on a schedule and he's eating well, no accidents etc. and when I'm there I don't just stick his food down and leave, I spend time with him. There are some neighbours who are home all the time who are aware of the situation and are keeping an eye on the place, but I'm not sure my mom knows them well enough that she'd want me give them a key and ask them to go into her house. Buddy seems to be getting a bit steadier on his feet, I'm pretty sure he must have missed some of his arthritis medication so I'm thinking that I may be able to integrate him into my pack if he's stronger than I first thought. I'm going to give him a little while longer first though, and speak to his vet about that. Actually, one of the vets at the clinic both my mom and I use is a neighbour of my mom's, just a few houses up the road, so she's pretty familiar with Buddy.

Tomorrow I have to pick my daughter up at school after practice for the play she's in, so rather than go home and then back over later we're going to pick up something for supper and go spend some time there at my mom's house with Buddy.

I think that in the end, whether Buddy ends up at home with my mom, with me, or with my brother he'll be okay. He's a really easy-going happy kind of dog. He knows both my brother and I well and he's been over to my house lots of times in the past, even spending a night or two when my mom's power was out or she couldn't get home because of snowstorms. He just hasn't been traveling for a while other than vet trips because it's getting so hard to get him in and out of her car. My brother made her a ramp so he can get into her car. I think if I move him I will probably have to borrow her car and ramp, I doubt I can get him into my truck, the ramp's not tall enough and I can't lift him.

Skyblue
April 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Could you do some sort of trial run before you decide whether Buddy stays with you or not? What i meant is to take him to meet with your packs for a day or a few hours and see how they behave first? Some dogs are easy to integrate with other dogs and some don't especially Buddy is old and not well... Just a thought.

Gail P
April 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Buddy has spent time at my house before and knows my dogs, he just hasn't been over for a while and now he's arthritic, in addition to having some other issues. When I go to take care of him I've been sometimes taking one or two of mine with me to get re-acquainted with him. I also asked at the vets office about bringing him here in his condition and they said I might as well give it a try under the circumstances. If it turns out to be too much for him I can take him back to my mom's house and continue to care for him there until it's better timing for my brother to take him to his house (where he would be the only dog and not get bumped around).

Gail P
April 14th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Update
I brought Buddy over to my house on Sunday and he is doing really well here. I really couldn't have asked for it to go any better, none of my pack are giving him any problems and they're not being too rough around him. I don't put him out in the yard with them though, they do tend to run around a lot out there and he can't get up and down the steps from the back deck anyhow. The only way to put him in the yard would be to walk him around and let him in the side gate. Instead, he goes in and out the front door of the house and is managing to get up and down the cement steps there without too much trouble. I don't know how long he will need to stay with me, but as long as he is still able to do the front steps it looks like he'll be just fine here. If that gets too hard on him maybe we can build a ramp over the steps or something. My mom's house has a wheelchair ramp that was built for the person who lived there before her, so it was easy getting Buddy in and out there.

mummummum
April 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yayyyy!!! I think he will be much happier for the company Gail. and I hope for your Mom's sake it won't be for too long.

Frenchy
April 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Update
I brought Buddy over to my house on Sunday and he is doing really well here. I really couldn't have asked for it to go any better, none of my pack are giving him any problems and they're not being too rough around him.

I'm so glad you did Gail. I knew your dogs would have been ok with the older guy , dogs can sense when others are weak , or old. And usually will leave them be. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
That's great news, Gail! I'm sure Buddy is enjoying the extra company, too! I hope your Mom is better soon! :goodvibes:

Gail P
April 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I don't know for sure yet, but with Buddy's age (unknown for certain as he was adopted, but he's quite old) and condition it's possible that this may end up being his final home. My mom's got a long recovery ahead of her and may not be able to go back into her own home and take care of herself, much less a dog. She's a senior that lives alone with just Buddy and what happened was she took a fall down the basement stairs, a set of 12 steep wooden steps. She somehow got herself back up the stairs and into bed, and was also up around the house again to the bathroom etc. and we're not really sure how long she'd been there alone and hurt. She didn't remember falling and didn't really know what had happened, and didn't call 911, instead she eventually called me and I got the ambulance for her. She was moved from our local hospital to a larger one, and then airlifted down to Sunnybrook in Toronto when they discovered she had as extensive injuries as she does. It's amazing that she was able to do all she did on her own while hurt, it turned out she had badly broken both wrists and would need ortho surgery to pin them, fractured her neck and had blood on her brain. They determined she had an aneurysm but didn't know if it was the cause of the fall or the result of it. They did neurosurgery to repair the aneurysm and she's been pretty much kept sedated since then until the last couple of days. They haven't yet been able to deal with her wrists because they had to take care of the head injury first. Amazingly, before going into surgery she didn't seem to be in a terrible amount of pain and was fully alert and functional and thinking clearly other than being confused about the accident. I'm sure that being that strong going into the surgery can only be a good thing. She has just been beginning to wake up more now, though she is still mostly resting.

Frenchy
April 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
omg Gail , I'm so sorry about your mom , that"s quite a fall :eek: she sounds like a very strong woman !!! Speedy recovery to her :grouphug:

Gail P
April 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
omg Gail , I'm so sorry about your mom , that"s quite a fall :eek: she sounds like a very strong woman !!! Speedy recovery to her :grouphug:

She is strong. At the hospital when they were trying to be careful with putting in the IV she told them "just stick it in" and same kind of thing when they were carefully peeling off some tape to move it "just rip it off". Asked how's the pain? "Not too bad". What hurts the most "Ummm... I guess my wrists" but she was also saying her leg/hip was hurting and that wasn't from the fall, it was just the way she had to lay still on her back in the bed. She told me she had always thought that if she got hurt it would be better to hurt hands or arms than legs (and loose mobility), but I think she began to rethink that because she said the hardest thing was when she went to the bathroom and couldn't tear off the toilet paper. (no wonder Mom, both your wrists were broken :rolleyes: ) When they were getting her ready to move by air ambulance and they were checking her heart the attendant told her he couldn't hear her heart if she kept talking, so she kind of laughed and said she'd be quiet. Then she started talking about how difficult it had ever been to get my dad to fly and the trip they took to Rome years ago.

She's very strong. If anyone can overcome something like this she can. I still can't get over that she was alone and hurt though and didn't even call 911. I asked her about that and she said that if she couldn't get hold of me or my brother she guessed she would have eventually called 911. She didn't remember the fall, didn't realize that her neck or wrists were broken (she just knew that her hands were swollen and she'd been bleeding and one eye was caked shut but didn't know why) I don't think she wanted to bother them so she left a message for me while I was out for a bit.

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Just saw this, I'm so sorry your mom had to go through that, and alone! Thankfully she did call you and you were able to get her help.

I'm glad you took Buddy in. I would have felt bad thinking of him all alone at his home.

I hope your mother gets better soon.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Oh, that's so scary, Gail! Dad did something similar--fell into the bathtub, knocked himself out and lay there for 12 - 24 hours (we're not sure how long and he couldn't remember). When he finally woke up and somehow managed to drag himself to the phone, he didn't dial 9-1-1. He kept trying to dial my brother, who was working at the time and not home. Luckily, my little sister called Dad's house as he was lying near the phone and he answered. He was incoherent enough that she got my brother to leave work and go check on him (he was closer to Dad than she was) and they found him. Even as bad as he was, it was difficult to convince him to go get checked out at the hospital. :frustrated:

So it's not just your mom that has that independent streak!!!

She sounds like a very strong person!! :goodvibes: I hope she has a very quick recovery!! Any chance you can sneak Buddy in for a visit? :o

Suzi123
April 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hi, I'm new here...my Mum's friend was in hopspital for a long spell and had a photo of her beloved King Charles Spaniel, maybe you could take a lovely photo of Buddy, if you can't sneak him in for a visit...always said to my partner, that he'll have fun sneaking our mob into see me! lol

Praying that your Mum has a full and speedy recovery :)