Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Shar Pei-Richmond ON/Ottawa Area

sachnach
April 3rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
Baliey, Chinese Shar Pei, black, neutered male, 9 years old, not wearing a collar.

Bailey was staying at the kennel and got loose while out on a walk on a wooded trail. Last seen in the Huntley Rd/Mansfield Rd area on Sunday March 28th, at ~10am. He is shy and may not come to you if you approach him or call his name.

Please call John and Joanne at 613-444-0016 or 613-853-1334, Melissa at 613-314-5365, the kennel at 613-838-4478 or the Ottawa Humane Society at 613-725-9998. He is extremely important to us and we miss him!!!

hazelrunpack
April 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
I hope you find him soon, sachnach! :goodvibes:

Have you put up posters and notified the vets in the area?

sachnach
April 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks! We've been searching every day since he disappeared! We've put up posters, contact a ton of vets, contacted the Humane Society, the City of Ottawa, Bob FM, craigslist, kijijii, the Ottawa Dog Blog etc. It's so heartbreaking and frustrating since there hasn't even been a sighting of him since he ran off :confused:

It's my parent's dog and they were in Florida at the time but they've since flown home and have joined the search. He is so important to all of us and we're just devastated! We're still praying that maybe he found his way to someone's farm and they're taking care of him and just don't know that he's not a stray.

mummummum
April 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: That he's found safe, sound and soon.

This may be a silly suggestion but are there any feed stores, general stores or gas stations in the farm/ rural areas in which you could put up a poster? Local independent radio station ?

rainbow
April 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks! We've been searching every day since he disappeared! We've put up posters, contact a ton of vets, contacted the Humane Society, the City of Ottawa, Bob FM, craigslist, kijijii, the Ottawa Dog Blog etc. It's so heartbreaking and frustrating since there hasn't even been a sighting of him since he ran off :confused:

It's my parent's dog and they were in Florida at the time but they've since flown home and have joined the search. He is so important to all of us and we're just devastated! We're still praying that maybe he found his way to someone's farm and they're taking care of him and just don't know that he's not a stray.

Since it's a rural area perhaps you could try taking the posters to all the houses asking people to watch for him. Good luck .....I hope you are reunited with Bailey soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

sachnach
April 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughts and suggestions. Still no luck finding him :(

We've put up flyers everywhere in Richmond and all of the surrounding towns and my parents have spoken to everyone they can in the area. At this point we're hoping that someone has him and that they are maybe private or keep to themselves. The kennel owner mentioned that this was the case when a dog got lost a few years ago. A man who is a little leary of strangers and certain people (apparently the government, police etc.) had found the dog and was looking after it but hadn't told anyone. It was only when he went into town that he mentioned it to someone at the general store and that person told the kennel owner and they reunited the dog with it's owners. I'm just praying that this is the case.

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Rats! When I saw you post I was hoping it was to say he'd been found :(

Still keeping you in our prayers! :goodvibes: Come home, Bailey!

sachnach
April 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
If anyone wants to join or pass this along I've also started a Facebook group to get the word out. Hopefully the more people know about him the faster we find him! Thanks everyone!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110362732319335

sachnach
April 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Just to give you all an update we still haven't found Bailey yet :( There still hasn't even been a sighting of him! We're still holding out hope though and still searching, posting flyers and ads and praying that he's returned home safely! I've added that we'll give a reward to the ads (I'm not saying how much so that we don't attract the wrong type of people). Also, my own personal pledge is that if anyone finds him I will volunteer with the animal charity of their choice for a year (besides the local Humane Society which I am already starting to volunteer with). I'm not advertising this or anything but it's just a bit of good karma that I hope will help (not that it's completely unselfish, I just love dogs and animals in general and would enjoy it anyways).

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, thoughts and prayers! This has been an incredibly difficult situation but it has also shown us how kind and caring people are!

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I hope he turns up soon, sachnach :grouphug:

Come home, Bailey! :goodvibes:

chico2
April 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I was hoping at the end of this post there would be good news:(so sorry there was not.
I could just imagine how your parents and you feel:pray:he is found safe and sound:fingerscr

the gang
April 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
oh no,:fingerscr:fingerscr double fingers crossed for some good news

michellemero
April 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM
im praying that you find him...I have a good feeling that you will! :fingerscr

sachnach
April 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks so much again everyone for all of your support! Apparently there was a sighting of Bailey so my father is out right now searching (I'm in the east end of town so unfortunately my reaction time is too slow to get out there quickly, otherwise I would be right there with him!). I am praying so hard right now that it was Bailey and that my father can find him :pray: I will keep you updated.

rainbow
April 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Was it Bailey? :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

otter
April 12th, 2010, 09:13 PM
:fingerscr:fingerscr for you
:pray: the Bailey is safe and sound now.

If the search is still on, don't forget about asking people to check garages and sheds, sounds like Bailey might be scared of people and would go into hiding. Someone might have closed a door on him. :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

sachnach
April 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately it wasn't Bailey :( There was a black dog that would walk up and down the road (it's a rural area) but when my Dad called out to it it ran back to it's house. When he got a better look it wasn't a Shar Pei. We were praying so hard that it was him but unfortunately there are a lot of black dogs out there.

We are comforted though by the fact that people are still keeping an eye out for him and are checking their sheds, barns etc. We're also still searching everywhere. Hopefully someone has him and we just need to find out who that is so that we can bring him home!

chico2
April 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Aww I was hoping for good news,but don't give up hope,he's a relatively large dog,not so difficult to spot:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Sending more :goodvibes: that he comes home soon, sachnach!!

rosiejaz
April 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Prayers and good karma being sent your way:goodvibes:
Sam Laddie and Smores

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Any updates, sachnach? :fingerscr

sachnach
April 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
No, unfortunately we haven't seen him or heard any news. It's been pretty devastating :( We just continue to hope, pray and search.

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
:grouphug:

More :goodvibes: heading your way! Come home, Bailey!!

bj601
April 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Sachnach, try contacting the EMC newspaper. They are one of the free community papers, but they cover a very large area (Perth, Kanata, Stittsville, Richmond, Smith Falls etc). I know in some areas it is looked forward to when it is released each week. Perhaps you could get them to do a story? I am pretty sure I have seen similiar stories and ads in both the Kanata and Perth issues so it might get the word spread to some more of the farmers in these areas.

sachnach
April 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sachnach, try contacting the EMC newspaper. They are one of the free community papers, but they cover a very large area (Perth, Kanata, Stittsville, Richmond, Smith Falls etc). I know in some areas it is looked forward to when it is released each week. Perhaps you could get them to do a story? I am pretty sure I have seen similiar stories and ads in both the Kanata and Perth issues so it might get the word spread to some more of the farmers in these areas.

The kennel owner has apparently put an ad in the EMC this week and is offering a reward so hopefully someone sees it. My parents saw it and said it was big and that he is also offering a reward. They were also saying that the newspaper is delivered on different days in different areas so hopefully someone has him and notices. We keep hoping and praying. As for getting them to do a story on it I've suggested it to my parents but it's complicated since there's politics involved in the kennel e.g. the owner had left a msg on my answering machine a few days after it happened saying that he wasn't impressed that I had put up internet ads and gotten the radio to announce it since it mentioned the kennel (as a frame of reference for the location Bailey was lost, I never said anything bad about the kennel). He said that it was "bad for business", needless to say I was furious :mad:

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the politics at this point, sachnach. If Bailey was lost while under the care of the kennel staff, the owner has no right to claim that your ads are bad for his business! Especially if you have only used his business as a frame of reference.

:fingerscr that the ad gets a response!! :goodvibes: