Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RE: my 22 year old cocker spaniel

Lapinenut
April 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have a cocker who is 22 years old and still alive. I have a question...has anyone ever had a dog that within one month, acquired a huge lump, meaning a red and white thing that hangs from his bottom lip?? I have no idea what it is, although I think I might. Either a cist, or a tumor. I know that I want it to be a cist, but how can you tell the difference between the two? It started as being a soft squishy thing, but within one week, it turned into this hard thing that dangles from his lip. He bangs it on stuff every day, so he gets a bath every day. It bleeds when he bangs it. It's hanging by a thread from his lower lip. Is it going to fall off sooner or later? Is it killing him? I have no clue but any answers will help.:cloud9:

LavenderRott
April 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
None of us are vets and it would be irresponsible of a vet to try and diagnose your dog over the internet.

At such an age, I would seek a vet immediately. I am sure you don't want your poor old dog to suffer.

mummummum
April 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
It's turned into a large, hard mass. It's hanging off his lip. He's banging it and he's bleeding every day for an entire week.

He must be in awful pain.

Tundra_Queen
April 1st, 2010, 11:52 PM
You need to take your poor pup to the vet so the vet can help him. He must be in pain.

DoubleRR
April 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I am assuming you are a concerned owner--your cocker is 22! What a grand age to reach! :)
When you say hanging by a thread--apparently it is a bit more than that, as it still bleeds, so has a blood supply. I would have it removed rather than let it be--if it bleeds, it might have enough pain receptors to hurt as well.

Lapinenut
April 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
He's got a vet appointment on monday. I know he hurts, I just thought someone may have had the same or a similar thing happen to one of there pets.