Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help training my little boy pls

Kandraax
April 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hello, my name is Davide, me and my wife have 2 dogs, 1 maltese bishon male 6 year old about, and a unknowen mix race female3 year old named Brandy.

Brandy is perfect we had no problem training her she ask to go out and all, Lucky is the problem, its 6 years he pees in the house we have tryed many things, bringing him out 5 or so times a day, yelling, cage, i cant hit animals so aside of a little slap on his thigh maybe, i cant do that sorry.

Now that we moved from italy to USA the floor are no more concrete but carpets.... the problem is getting out of hands, i really need him to stop it please give me suggestions.

Thanks, Davide.

luckypenny
April 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Davide :).

This had been going on with Lucky since he was a pup? If so, you're going to have to start from scratch, as if he was a little puppy. Is Lucky neutered? That may help as well as many un-neutered dogs will mark in the house. Taking him outside more often and umbilical training will certainly help get you started (and as you already know, yelling and hitting obviously don't work).

Here are a couple recent threads already started on the subject.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69267

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69218

mummummum
April 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
It may also be organic rather than training, have you taken him to a Vet to determine if his urinary tract and genitalia is functioning normally?

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/incont.aspx

Kandraax
April 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
We was at the vet yesterday and she said the genital are ok, didnt analize any pee he does but said he is very healty.

Now that you make me think on it thought, 90% of the times is not a normal liquid pee, more like a little dry pool, like somthing that wasnt to big to start with and that did dry fast on the floor.

Vet says can try fixing him, but cant garante it will help, quite unsure and afraid it`ll change his "beeing"

DoubleRR
April 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
It is hard to move from Europe to North America--values and belief systems are often VERY different. I know over there it is not common to neuter animals. However, laws and societal attitudes are much different there as well.

In Canada and the USA, neutering has become the main way to slow down the mass production of puppies for profit--puppy mills. Here, it is unusual to accept an entire dog unless you are conformation showing with an eye to breeding quality dogs. Anyone else is looked upon as irresponsible, as their entire pets could contribute to the overpopulation problem which leads to so many deaths of the unwanted animals in shelters and pounds.

If you had your dog neutered at age 6, it would not change the peeing. He marks because he has always marked--to avoid that you must neuter them before that becomes an ingrained habit. At this point he cannot see the difference between wood floors and the cement floors he always peed on.

The the small amounts sound to me like dribbles used to mark territory. He will not stop as long as he can smell any urine in the house at all--he will continue to mark his sign posts. The only real way to retrain is to treat him as an untrained pup and confine [crate]or tether him at all times he is indoors and not being directly watched.

Tether him to your waist or to the furniture next to you--if he gets restless, take him outside. On your way out the door together, you make a big deal about how wonderful it is to go OUTSIDE. Might take many many times, but when he pees outside--BIG praise and treats--bit of meat or the like. This will take several weeks of consistent work before the light bulb goes on--but it will! Eventually he will desire to go out to pee to get the meat and praise. Then, you only give meat occasionally and he will try harder to get out to pee to see if THIS time there is meat.

Just make certain, with a urine test, that he is not having any urinary tract infection issues--they will pee frequently from disease as well.

luckypenny
April 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Great advice Double RR!

Kandraax, our Lucky was a fully mature, un-neutered adult when we adopted him. He constantly marked every foot of the house :rolleyes: until he was operated. It took a few weeks of very close supervision and doing everything Double RR suggested before he finally caught on and we've had no problems since. The surgery did nothing to change his personality.