Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help: Puppy peeing in his play pen

quikksilver007
April 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
We have a 3 months old corgi that been peeing in his playpen last few days and I'm not sure if he's is frustrated or having anxiety problem. We got him about a month ago. The first few weeks we have him we know we couldn't trust him in the house so he has been in the yard when were not home and he does his thing outside. When we are home from work he's with us in the evenings and for the most part go pee/poop before we put him in his crate for the night.

The situation is now we want him to be inside the house so he doesn't get as dirty being outside or in the cold etc. And we do have hardwood floor so that helps. I have a 6x6 playpen with the crate and a training pad in the litter and some water to keep him inside. We would still let him outside to pee/poop once we are home but he can't seem to hold. He would pee just outside of the litter and right on the floor. A lot!!! So we cover the whole play pen with training pads and he would pee pretty much at the same spots. I noticed as soon as I let him out of the playpen and crack open the sliding door to the yard he would pee and come right back in . The question now is can I trust him to be inside with the sliding door open to the yard when we are not home because the playpen is not working for him. :shrug:

Melinda
April 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
would you not be scared of somebody stealing him? or walking into your home??

mummummum
April 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Three months is still fairly young and you've only been training him for 1/3 of that time. It's possible he's getting mixed messages with the indoor/outdoor routine. How long are you leaving him inside without a potty break? Is he also drinking more? Does his urine look like a normal colour and amount? Unless you know for certain that it is emotional, often it's wise to rule out any physical problems first.

DoubleRR
April 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the board! You might get more answers by asking your questions in the behavior/training area, since sometimes we do not always see a new person needs a question answered in the intro one.

Definitely ensure it is not a physical problem as mummummum mentioned.

I would not leave your door open--unless your yard and rest of the house is like Fort Knox. Yes, it might work, if he has very little room inside the sliding doors to do anything but sleep--if it gets cold or something bothers him outside, he might just pee indoors anyway!
If there is no one to come home mid day and give pup a break and some exercise, he will have to have somewhere to "go". My own pups get a 6' by 12' pen in the heated garage for those times we might be late when I am housebreaking. However, they are never left more than 4 hrs without a break--even if I have to get a trusted friend or neighbour to give it to them.

Newspapers at one end changed whenever they have been peed on even a bit keep them using the same spot and keeping the rest of the pen clean. However, if there IS an accident elsewhere, the cement doesn't mind! I also tether pups to me or to something near their bed in the house when I cannot be watching so there are no accidents indoors--become restless--outside we go.

You must make the play pen urine proof so that pee does not land on the floor, and cover the entire bottom with absorbant material until he shows his preferred spot--then make sure that spot is the cleanest in the pen so he will continue to use it. They do NOT like to pee where they have peed before if they can avoid it indoors--the urine doesn't dissipate as it does on outdoor soil. So they begin peeing all over and become inured to it--and you have a "dirty" dog to try and retrain. He is very young yet--many dogs do not leave their litters until 3 mths of age, so do not despair, he will learn in time. I hope you have somewhere larger to leave him when he is consistent with the newspapers/training pad--he will need more play room, but not the run of the house. :)