Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rodents: Does any one love them anymore?

pinkeyedmouse
September 2nd, 2004, 12:02 AM
The fun of cats and dogs is sweeping the nation, ever since that whole pleague thing rodents havent been treated as nicley. They are good clean cute and friendly pets, Im just raising this awareness.

SSAC
September 2nd, 2004, 12:04 AM
Rats are ace! Used to have them. It's too sad though! Mine all got tumors that couldn't be removed :(

Writing4Fun
September 2nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Oh, yeah! Like I said in my other post, we had guinea pigs for a while. Cute little buggers, but definitely the inspiration for Star Trek's "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode. Hubby had a hamster growing up that he used to bring along when he came to visit me (riding miles on his bicycle with a hamster in his k-way pocket! :eek: ). Mom hates rodents, so he wasn't allowed in the house on those visits. :rolleyes:

pinkeyedmouse
September 2nd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah! Hail to the rat. The long naked tail one. Clever as a fox, friendly as a puppy, cut as a glove. Unfortunatly I live in alberta so all of my rat owning fantacies are cut short.
Hail to the rat
Hail to the rat
Hail to the rat!

pinkeyedmouse
September 2nd, 2004, 12:10 AM
Hopefully that hampster had a helmit on.

Writing4Fun
September 2nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
:D This was pre-helmet-laws!! :D

pinkeyedmouse
September 2nd, 2004, 12:15 AM
:D
I think the tought is cute anyway

Princesss04
September 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
I have two rats their names are Mercy and Grace. They are two years old. :D

jenjen
September 2nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
I had a hamster when i was young. We had her for 4 years and then she dies of old age. The vet told me that 4 years for a hamster was a long time and that Misty had a very good life. I didn't think that I would ever stop crying. Rodents are great little creatures. They are fun to watch and fairly easy to take care of. Only problem is that the little buggers have short lives.
Don't ever get a butterfly as a pet.......They have the shortest life span.

Shae
September 2nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Rats are soooooo misunderstood. These little creatures are amazingly intelligent too. I started rescuing them years ago. Unfortunately SSAC is correct, tumors are a common occurance with rats. Generally unspayed females. If ou remove them when they are small, thats great, makes life more comfortable for them , but, depending on the type and growth speed of the tumor, they usually are back soon after. My rats have a huge playground and a rodent fun room of their own.*L* I've taken 2 bunny cages and attached them,taking down one wall.So they have a huge area to run and climb.They have hammocks,tightropes to walk on a slide that they LOVE. They have balls to play with etc. They are allowed out of the cahe when I'm home and enjoy climbing the book case. They have leashes even and yes, they use a litterpan! Above all else,for those of you that are cringing right now, they are so loving and have NEVER EVER bitten anyone. I love ALL animals....ALL animals, but I must say, these little guys are the best. I can hear some saying, but I hate their tails. *L* Please keep in mind, the tails are actually not bad....and they are needed for balance.
I saved some mice from a school once...from a classroom, their fate wasn't a good one, so I took them. They are so damn cute (tiny black and white) but I must admit not too smart!
Rats make terrific companions.....but ALWAYS get a pair at least. NEVER just one. They are waaaay too social to be by themselves. Boredom itself can actually cut their lifespan, which is ony 2-3 years .
Sharon

meggie1425
September 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Only problem is that the little buggers have short lives
I love rodents (there SO cute!!) but thats why i would never be able to get one, they dont live very long and i cant handle death very well (i cried for months after my budgie died!!) i wouldnt mind getting a chinchilla though, they can live up to 15 years!! And its always been one of my goals to go into a pet store and rescue all the feeder mice!!(that way, even if they dont live very long, i'll know that at least they got to live their life and NOT be food for a snake or lizard!!)

Cflat
September 2nd, 2004, 09:43 PM
We've had pet mice but I feel it was cruel. They didn't seem to be the domesticated animal that I thought.
My son called me at work today to tell me he found a baby mouse in our neighbour/friends house. He, of course, brought it home and he was determined to keep it. I told him what I thought but didn't force the issue. An hour later he called to say he was going to release the baby in the field as his tail was shaking and he was scared. Proud Mom here. I know the critter wouldn't have a proper life with us and was lost from his mom in the house (and they have a hunting cat). Anyway, off topic but had to post it.

Shae
September 2nd, 2004, 10:27 PM
I agree and understand your views on that completely. Being an active ARA , I would never ever dream of puchasing from a petshop etc...... my little buddies are all rescues. They actually dont really have a cage per say, its more like ummmmmmm, a friggin castle.*L* Glad he released it. These ones were domesticated already and would never have survived outdoors.

Iggette
September 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I love rats......we have had three in the past and I thought they had tons of personality......wasn't fussy on the teddy bear hampster my daughter had though would always bite

jenjen
September 4th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Not a big fan of micheal Jackson but do love his song about ben the rat.
Its a great little story.

Writing4Fun
September 4th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Not a big fan of micheal Jackson but do love his song about ben the rat.
Its a great little story.
Ben was a RAT?!?! I never knew that!