Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cheasapeake Retriever Attack

ThaiGhing
September 1st, 2004, 11:32 PM
Just watching the nightly news here in Kitchener.. There was a story about a 3 yrd old boy, who was attacked by his foster families pet. He required 20 stitches to close the wounds. The dog is being held in quarantine.
Are these dogs usually good with kids??
Of course the story didnt mention anything about whether the child was bothering the dog, etc???
Anyone else hear this story???? Said it happened Monday in Stratford.

LavenderRott
September 1st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Don't worry, by the end of the week someone in the media will claim it is a pit bull/chesapeake bay retriever mix.

Any dog, properly raised, trained and socialized is good with kids.

Writing4Fun
September 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM
I hadn't heard this story, but seeing as how it wasn't a Pittie, then I'm not surprised it didn't make the national news. :rolleyes: Maybe you could find a printed copy of the story and send it off to the BSL people, suggesting that they include Chessies in their breed ban?! KIDDING, obviously!!

heeler's rock!
September 1st, 2004, 11:44 PM
No doubt, eh? Poor pit-bulls. It doesn't surprise me that a retreiver attacked. In Calgary in 2002, there were more Golden Retriever bites reported than any other breed, but we only heard about the rotties, pits, and other "controversial" breeds. I'll admit that when I was young, I was bit by a rottie. I was about 10 or so and even I knew why he bit me at that age. I was staring him in the eyes, an he probably thought I was challenging him. He didn't break the skin and I didn't need stitches. In fact, I don't think he was trying to hurt me at all. I think he wanted to scare me, and boy did he ever! :D I still love rotties that are trained properly!!! :D

Kona Dawg
September 1st, 2004, 11:56 PM
I don't want anyone to think that I'm for BSL, but one of the reason's that there are more retreiver bites, is because, well there's more retreiver's out there than any other breed. I have searched, but to no avail. Just curious if anyone has a
statisical ratio for breeds #'s to dog bites. You know what I mean? for every (hypothetically) 10 labs, there's say two bite incident's, and for every 10 pit's there's #__.

I was bit as a kid also, 90# golden lab, broke the skin on my hand. scared me pretty good as I was about the same age. As with you, it was my fault (parents also) the dog had a bone beside it, I reached down to pet her and snap! (excellent reason to train food/toy aggression out of your dog)

Sneaky2006
September 2nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
My brother has a CBR (Eve) and it is the sweetest dog I've ever seen! He has 5 kids ranging from 3 to 16 and the dog would NEVER hurt any one of them. I agree it is alllll about the training, no matter what the breed.

LavenderRott
September 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM
KD, so far as I know, there is no database set up to track dogbites in either the U.S. or Canada. To do so by breed would be next to impossible, with all of the byb's, puppy mills and strays. Then you get into the sticky area of trying to identify mixed breed dogs. I think the more important info would be: is the dog registered with the proper authorities (city or township), are all of it's vaccinations current, has the dog had any training. It all goes back to the responsible dog owner thing.

Cflat
September 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM
The parents didn't follow proper precautions. The dog was a foster to them. I think that there should be more emphasis on owner charges, breeder regulation and animal cruelty.