Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Look out Ontario ! + questions ...

Frenchy
March 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM
So .... with the news of our new budget from our wonderful government :mad: I've been looking at houses in Ontario ... just curiousity on my part. I'm jobless right now so even if I sell my house , I wouldn't be able to buy another , banks will not allow me to. But still .... moving to Ontario is in the back of my mind.

well , I've been listening to news all day , and looking at chat rooms and it seems I'm not alone. Many Quebecers are fed up , and with the new budget , they're many of them that are talking about moving to Ontario !

so ... should I start with practicing driving in the left lane at 90 km/h ? :laughing:

just kidding ....... :whistle:

so , what are the pros and cons of living in Ontario ?

BusterBoo
March 31st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Frenchy, I live in Quebec...work in Ontario and still cannot afford to live in Ontario!

Certain things are cheaper in Ottawa (like you don't have to pay income tax to Quebec and gas and i am sure other stuff). But......property taxes and car insurance is a lot more....although I have heard that car licences are a lot less . :shrug:

I think in the end it all works out to the same thing....

We pay taxes.....it doesn't matter where you live....:shrug:

aslan
March 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM
BusterBoo is pretty much right,,our cigarettes are a smidge cheaper but you smoke the same type i do..:D yes our licence stickers are cheaper than yours,,insurance here is usually based on your driving record. Property taxes depend on where you buy. I would say that some things are better here, some are better there.

Melinda
March 31st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have a 4 bedroom, one bathroom 2 story home, double lot, no fire hydrant nearby, no sidewalks , no sewer or water (septic and well here) and I pay roughly 2,500/yr for my taxes, my car insurance for a 2 yr old car (pt cruiser) is almost 900/yr, my electricity (including heating) is 2,300 per year. Mind you, this is in Cornwall, Ottawa is waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive, Casselman is a lovely place, lots of country homes and is about 30 minutes from Ottawa and an hour from the quebec border. my smokes are ummm ;) 15 a carton......anything else?? oh and we can have noisy cars and after market lights to pass safeties, and our motorcycles can have different pipes and we won't be stopped.

Winston
March 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Frenchy I think I would agree with the others! It might depend on where you look for a job? perhaps that might be something to look at? I did notice one thing and I dont know if it was just the right time or not but the grocery's seemed cheaper? Some things were over $1.00 more per item here? I was pleasantly surprised when we were up there skiing!

I dont know if our property's are cheaper than there. I can agree too that our insurance system sucks. For example Hamilton was hit with flooding a couple of years ago...many many people made insurance claims....I just got an annual increase of $700.00 on auto policy and house insurance $500.00 !!!! You know the sad sad part? I have never made a claim in my life and it doesnt make a darn bit of difference..:( if you live here you are gonna pay for all of those claims that were made....I am so disgusted in the system that I would love to say not driving anymore...but I cant. Imagine that I am at their mercy if I want to drive? :sorry::offtopic: my little rant.......:D

I have to say Frenchy I love Montreal!!! I am sure there are lots of beautiful places in Ontario but I like Montreal..:thumbs up

Winston
March 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Melinda this is awesome!!! :thumbs up

oh and we can have noisy cars and after market lights to pass safeties, and our motorcycles can have different pipes and we won't be stopped.

Frenchy
March 31st, 2010, 07:16 PM
so far ...

Quebec = 0
Ontario = 0

:(

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Wisconsin is the place to be :p :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
March 31st, 2010, 09:31 PM
Never Neverland sounds even better! :D

exkalibur
March 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Frenchie.....you would be better off here in Alberta..and no provincial sale taxes.....

clm
April 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Pros and cons for both provinces Frenchy. Why not just find a job first. If it happens to be in Ontario, or wherever in this great country of ours, then you can sell up and move to where the job is. If we're lucky it'll be closer to us. :thumbs up

clm

happycats
April 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM
You should also consider the dog limits in each and every place you consider.
I'm in Oshawa (Durham region) very close to the GTA so plenty of work, there is a 3 dog 6 cat limit.
THe average house rents for about 1000-1200 per month plus utilities, but you can buy houses here pretty cheap....some you can get for as little as $120,000.00. property taxes are about $3000.00 per year.
It just cost me $40.00 for an emmission test, $75 for a sticker, and $75 for a 5 year license renewal....happy birthday to me:rolleyes:
we also have to pay for health care between $600-$900 based on your income (Does all of Canada have to pay it??)
Most people here go to the native reservations (they even have drive throughs :D) to buy their cigarettes really cheap.

Oh and we are getting a new HST tax in July.......everthing you buy (including services you pay for including utilities) are going to be hit with a 13% HST tax !!!!!!! freakin theives

And.......Hey we go 120KM on the 401 (any higher and the charge you with racing and suspend your license and impound your car on the spot:eek:)
I find in rural areas they drive much slower then in Durham or GTA.

aslan
April 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
Frenchie.....you would be better off here in Alberta..and no provincial sale taxes.....

property and rent both cost alot more in alberta compared to Ontario..the cost of living is waaaay higher,,contractors are 2-3 times more expensive, etc.. It is a beautiful province but expensive.

chico2
April 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Frenchy,I don't know much about the Quebec government,but I know I loved Montreal and Quebec City.
Living and working in Quebec might be a different story.
However,although McGuintys gov does not affect us pensioners too much,he is probably the worst we've ever had,taxes,taxes and more taxes,,:evil:

We have a 3-bedroom little old bungalow,which would probably sell for around $330.000,the house next door to me is rented out at $1.600/month+utilities.housetax $2500/year.

Happycats,the healthpremium,was another of McGuintys tax-grabs,still no improvements though,nurses are being laid off again...:evil:

Chris21711
April 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Don't worry Frenchy about all of the petty stuff.....we have two rooms that are not used, so feel free. No limit on cats or dogs :D. We have enough property for the dogs, Pepe will get over having extra cats in the house :rolleyes: A golf course going in out back = lots of dudes :evil:......RENT FREE, only catch, you do the cooking :D

And.......Hey we go 120KM on the 401 (any higher and the charge you with racing and suspend your license and impound your car on the spot:eek:)
I find in rural areas they drive much slower then in Durham or GTA.

It's 150 clicks before you get charged with street racing Happycats.....plus Frenchy won't need a car, she can share my truck and sit up high above the crowd :laughing:

BenMax
April 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Frenchy - check out Rigaud.

Frenchy
April 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Oh and we are getting a new HST tax in July.......everthing you buy (including services you pay for including utilities) are going to be hit with a 13% HST tax !!!!!!! freakin theives

ok so there's no escape :(

I'm just horrified by the new budget , and saw cheap houses in Ontario but places near Quebec border .... like Harrington ? I know if it's cheap , that means it's far from everything ....

I guess I should start with finding myself a job :o

mummummum
April 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I should start with finding myself a job :o

Eeyeeew...:yuck:

Frenchy, I thought we were all winning the lottery and creating The Pets.ca Animal Haven :laughing:.

There will be NO talk of gainful employment on this board AGAIN! :p

Frenchy
April 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Frenchy, I thought we were all winning the lottery and creating The Pets.ca Animal Haven :laughing:.

we're trying we're trying :pray: so far we only won $2 :clown:

hazelrunpack
April 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
we're trying we're trying :pray: so far we only won $2 :clown:
I'd settle for that! So far all we've managed is to lose $2 a week! :laughing:

Frenchy
April 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Wisconsin is the place to be :p :thumbs up

I could be an illegal alien !!! Not pay any taxes :lightbulb:

http://bestsmileys.com/aliens/8.gif

hazelrunpack
April 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
There ya go! :thumbs up Wisconsin is well known for it's welfare state status :rolleyes:

We'll hide ya out in the Hazel Run Prison bldg! :D

Frenchy
April 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Frenchy - check out Rigaud.

It's a 2 dog limit .... unless they have another limit if the house is zoned agricultural .... but that means land and more $$$$ :cool:

mummummum
April 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
:sorry::offtopic: I'm thinking about your roof Frenchy. With all these provincial and federal energy renovation and "green" grants around ~ aren't you eligible for one of them?

Frenchy
April 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM
:sorry::offtopic: I'm thinking about your roof Frenchy. With all these provincial and federal energy renovation and "green" grants around ~ aren't you eligible for one of them?

:o well .... the only thing I saw was to have the repairs tax deductible but needed to be higher than $1000.00. Last year I had baseboards installed and windows repaired and replaced , "under the table" , or else I couldn't afforded it. So I can't used that. :shrug:

no money left for roof repairs :shrug:

happycats
April 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM

Happycats,the healthpremium,was another of McGuintys tax-grabs,still no improvements though,nurses are being laid off again...:evil:

The problem with our health care system is; 1) way to many non-resident people using health cards and our health care system.
2) way to many fraudulent health cards out there (the old red and white ones) they found one where 8 different people were using the one card ( all illegal immigrants) they only found out because there were 3 surgeries scheduled for the same day at different hospitals!!
and 3) (don't flame me) but allowing senior people with no income into this country as new immigrants, is going to eventually bankrupt both our health care and social system!!!! sorry :offtopic: had to rant !!!

And the new 13% HST is also a Mcguinty grap!!!

chico2
April 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
:offtopic:Happycat,I agree with you 100%
A polish lady I know,married a Canadian man,is just about to bring her elderly parents here and they will collect old-age pension from us,never having work here at all.
What made me fume and I told her so,was that she laughed at how stupid the Canadian government is,I tended to agree with her on that though.:sorry::offtopic:

aslan
April 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
:o well .... the only thing I saw was to have the repairs tax deductible but needed to be higher than $1000.00. Last year I had baseboards installed and windows repaired and replaced , "under the table" , or else I couldn't afforded it. So I can't used that. :shrug:

no money left for roof repairs :shrug:

you should have said something to me silly i would have given you a receipt. I'm out of province so they can't tax me on it.

14+kitties
April 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Come pitch a tent among the trees on our property. 'Course you would have to share with all the wildlife - coyotes, deer, 'coons, possums, etc......... Might be fun!! :D

Frenchy
April 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
OMG 14+ you just gave me a reason to NOT move to Ontario : POSSUMS !

over large rats :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I decided .... I'll try to get a roomate. :shrug: but only someone that I already know. I don't want strangers in my home :o

Melinda
April 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
thats what I always said I'd do if we needed an extra income, I have two empty bedrooms upstairs, I'd rent to a college student or two and they could get rent reduction to help with yard work etc *L*....

happycats
April 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
:offtopic:Happycat,I agree with you 100%
A polish lady I know,married a Canadian man,is just about to bring her elderly parents here and they will collect old-age pension from us,never having work here at all.
What made me fume and I told her so,was that she laughed at how stupid the Canadian government is,I tended to agree with her on that though.:sorry::offtopic:

OMG Chico I can't tell you how much it burns my A$$!! Do you know how much us tax payers have to pay them monthly??!!!
$1200.00 per month per person!!! That amount doesn't even include, free health and dental care and free glasses, perscriptions, GST credits and large tax refunds at the end of the year, low cost housing (about $200.00 per month) and $200.00 per month for provincial allowance!!!! They get more then someone who has lived and worked here their whole life!!!! makes me :yuck::yuck:

One of my co-workers and her spouse (who have only lived here for about 15 years) have both her elderly parents and in-laws living with them, between all 4 of the elderly people in her home they get all of the above! She lives in a 7 bedroom home in Toronto which is worth about 1.5 million!! and she gets free daycare as the elderly parents look after the kids.

Canada has to look after it's own before it starts supporting all the elderly of the world!!!:mad:

14+kitties
April 3rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
OMG 14+ you just gave me a reason to NOT move to Ontario : POSSUMS !

over large rats :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I decided .... I'll try to get a roomate. :shrug: but only someone that I already know. I don't want strangers in my home :o

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Geezz, it's not like you see them walking down the streets!!! In fact you very seldom even know they are around. They don't like people either. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
April 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
We have them around here, I'm sure. I've never seen one walking around, Frenchy. Possums are a shy bunch. Very demure... :p

Bearsmom
April 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Well, in Ontario, you CAN make a right turn on a red light....LOL.

Seriously? I LOVE where I live, it's commuting distance to the GTA, yet you can find houses WITH YARDS for 1/2 the cost of cities South of me. Yes, it's in the snow belt, but they're pretty good at keeping the roads plowed....

Residential taxes are approx $3500 per year, but we have an acre. Utilities are reasonable. With commuting to work we pay $1200 per year in insurance for 2 trucks (and dh drives 5 days per week into Toronto).

If you're interested, let me know (concerning jobs), I happen to have access to jobs in a certain city and may be able to help you out, just pm me.

mummummum
April 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm moving to ORANGEVILLE!

Holy tofino ~ your taxes are cheap!!!

And you truck insurance?! Eight or more years ago, I was pay $1200 for ONE 1 12 yr old jeep, no collision, infrequent driver status, clear abstract. :eek:

erykah1310
April 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
if you were to move rural northern ontario its not that bad.
Sure you have to commute to work but thats just one downfall.
My mortgage for 12 acres is less than 700 per month, our property taxes are an astounding $380 per year, expected to increase but I dont see it going more than $1000.
there is a limit to the amount of dogs you can have with out kennel licencing however its very easy to get the licence.
When I moved here I went to the township office and applied since I had 2 over the limit and when I said most of them were rescues and I may foster again some day soon they allowed me.
I crap on Ontario a LOT but mostly because I am tired of being told what I can and cant do and what I can and can't own but all in all I like it here.
People think that there are no jobs in this area, but those people are the ones who have too much pride to work minimum wage, being that this area is primarily miners and they are all on strike the economy is struggling a bit more, but these miners could swallow their pride and work somewhere else as apposed to relying on strike pay to get them through. You can live well around here on minimum wage depending on your lifestyle and luxuries you insist on having.

Bearsmom
April 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I miss living in the North.