Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog overexcited when he sees other dogs.

Milopoo
March 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hi all,

I have an 8 mo. old Cockapoo who loves to interact with other dogs/humans. So when my dog sees other dogs while walking, hes gets really overexcited and tries to pull me to the other dog. How do I train my dog to be in a calmer state when he sees other dogs?

Thanks in advance!

Birdbrain
April 3rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
old hard line methods were to apply a choker (they come in all sizes) but now a days I've seen a type of leach that has a string loop over the dogs nose so a gentle pull turns the dogs head away for control.It works well but I don't know the name of that type of leach.Training dogs usually treats help enforse the message home.Some dogs are dominate over the so-called masters , so behavior has to be changed & the big pecking order rules to be set in stone!
Once a dog knows its place it never be reminded again but the iron fist method doesn't have to be used.I believe that comes about due to owners fustrations & lack of patience.People tend to forget dogs do not understand english nor any language for that matter & if you are going to take the time to have an animal personal disapline must be there for your self as well as the dog!
When training the dog i wouldn't use the roam leash as you want them as close as possible (helps establish the wander factor) untill they understand the rules!
All dogs are excited to see other dogs & if people acted that way nothing would ever get done on the earth & most would probly starve to death in the process!
be patient , keep the dog close to you, use posative re-enfosement , & get one of those nose leashes ! Reward the dogs behavior when a good deed is done!

mummummum
April 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
He's still quite young at 8 months and you don't want to curb his enthusiasm too much ~ you just want him to be a little more manageable on-lead.

Head halters of any kind are a tool. Some of them are dangerous. Please read up on them thoroughly before you use them as there have been cases of severe injury and death caused by people who did not use them properly or in the right circumstances. And I prefer training to tools. With that said, I did use a Gentle Leader at one pint with the grrrrls after they tore both my rotator cuffs and broke both my pinkies. :D

After they settled down with age a little we went back to regular training. This is a method I found worked.

You will need a friend with an even-tempered, well-trained dog who will not react to your puppy. Keep your puppy on a regular lead with a relaxed arm, loose hand. Hold the handle in one hand and have your other mid-lead for (gentle) correction. If you are not using a martingale or half-martingale collar I would. Have your friend approach you from a 1/2 block away or so. keep your puppy's attention focussed on you (A "Look at me!" command is worked in here) rewarding with praise, treats, clickers ~ whatever works for you. Keep your eye on YOUR dog at all times. As your friend approaches, watch for the minutest of twitches signalling over-excitement and use the Look at me! command. If he doesn't respond to you, turn abruptly on your heel and walk in the opposite direction. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until you get nose-to-nose in a fashion you find acceptable. In my books, a waggy tail and a wiggle butt are more than okay ~ what I was aiming for was to stop the excessive pulling and lunging.

Continue this back and forth walking/ turning/ rewarding the behaviour you want until he gets it consistently.

Now, with THAT said, my 10 yr old grrrls have boyfriends. If we're in a park/ green-space when the boyfriends are on the scene , I just let their leashes go and let them run like mad. Who am I to get in the way of true love? :laughing: