Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's official, spring is here

clm
March 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
This is my last week of feeding the outside birds. There are a number of them trying to nest around the yard now and the grackles and the traffic of all the other birds only makes the nesting birds fret. The bird seed that hits the wet ground and warm temps only will go off causing more problems than helping those eating it, so it's time to stop.
Time to start buying fish food for the koi, which I did today in anticipation of feeding my wet pets in another day or two. Their first feed since last November. :D

clm

Dee-O-Gee
March 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It's stunning how "Mother Nature" takes her course! :crazy:

Wow 4 months without feeding the Koi! That's amazing not to mention the spawning! :crazy:

14+kitties
March 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
It's been a weird winter for sure. Up to 18 by Thurs. :thumbs up I finally saw my first robin the other day. :cloud9:
I feed my birdies all year round. But the feeder isn't near anything so I figure it's ok. I always have jays around it throwing the seed to the ground for the Mourning Doves.

TeriM
March 31st, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've just started feeding the hummingbirds :cloud9:. I will feed my birds for another month or so (or until current bag runs out). We have bears in our area so cannot feed all summer here plus they eat so much it is like having an extra dog :eek:.

Koi pics please :D.

Chris21711
March 31st, 2010, 08:32 AM
CLM didn't you go on birding field trips at one time....maybe I'm mixing up peeps, but I thought you posted some wonderful pics last year :confused:

I've just started feeding the hummingbirds

I think a little bit of proof is in order Teri, ya' know a pic or two or three :cool:

Koi pics please :D.

I second that :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'll probably feed all summer unless the bears show up. We always get a pretty good crowd. :D And the feeders are strategically placed outside the fence so the dogs can't get at them...unless they crawl under the gate like Cass did this morning! :rolleyes: Time to lower the gates again, I guess. :laughing:

I heard a bluebird this morning :cloud9: That's pretty spring-y!

So when are we getting more of those koi pics, clm? They're in high demand. :D

luckypenny
March 31st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Time to start buying fish food for the koi, which I did today in anticipation of feeding my wet pets in another day or two. Their first feed since last November. :D

Someone call the SPCF :yell: 4 months without food!!!!!!!!

:D

How is it that they can go that long with food, clm? Do they hibernate :o?

14+kitties
March 31st, 2010, 12:51 PM
CLM didn't you go on birding field trips at one time....maybe I'm mixing up peeps, but I thought you posted some wonderful pics last year :confused:

I thought that was Lukka'sma that went birding all the time. :confused:

clm
March 31st, 2010, 01:58 PM
I post pics, but taken from my yard. No birding trips for me, although when I go visit my sister in cottage country I will be sure to go looking for birds.

clm

chico2
March 31st, 2010, 03:56 PM
clm,We feed our birds,squirrels etc.all year around,no danger here for any predators,other than cats.
We have about 30-40 pigeons coming by too:laughing:cannot disappoint them!
The Sparrows are already busy fixing up the birdhouses,I've seen several Robins and the Cow-Birds just arrived today,also saw the first male and female Goldfinch at the finchfeeder..I think spring has arrived:thumbs up

BusterBoo
March 31st, 2010, 04:07 PM
For the first time this spring, I have ALL the windows and the patio door open....it's WONDERFUL out there! All I can hear are birds and Buster is lounging on the deck.

So....are you supposed to stop giving bird seed? When should I hang my hummingbird feeder? I heard that the hummingbirds return to this area (Ottawa) around Mother's Day. I know the blue birds, cardinals, sparrows, seagulls and some very noisy, annoying black birds have returned, along with the squirrels that run along the back of the fence, annoying the h$$l out of the dog!

Now...bring on SUMMER!!! :thumbs up

clm
April 1st, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have to stop feeding the birds here. The grackles actually attack and kill some of the smaller birds like house finches. :mad: I've witnessed it too many times to feel comfortable to feed once they're back, so stop I must.

I'm with you on the squirrels BusterBoo. My dogs just go snakey when it comes to squirrels.

clm

Chris21711
April 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
I post pics, but taken from my yard. No birding trips for me, although when I go visit my sister in cottage country I will be sure to go looking for birds.

clm

I thought that was Lukka'sma that went birding all the time. :confused:

Friggin' memory I have :yell:

chico2
April 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Once I get my butt in gear,I'll go and buy my"Mothers Day"camera,able to get pics of all my birdies:thumbs up