Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do they make pacifiers for puppies???

Mirela
March 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
My back hurts!

:wall: Every time I take Leo out I have to bend over every %$#% 5 seconds to take something out of his mouth :wall:

Honestly, what can I do to keep his mouth busy??? I'm the happiest when he bites the leash and walks very proudly holding it, but that does not last more than a minute or two then he's back chasing leaves and trying to sniff and taste everything.

I'm an out-of-shape person of a certain age, not a gymnast....:rolleyes:

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Some people train their dawgs to hold their own leashes when they walk. Maybe that's for you!

clm
March 29th, 2010, 06:17 PM
:laughing: Yup, there's nothing like training a puppy. :laughing: Bentley isn't bad picking up stuff, but Baxter is like a friggin vacuum. :yell: I've seen people walking dogs who have stuffies in their mouths and a few that even insisted on carrying a favorite rock. :laughing: I have no idea how they got that way though. My guys never had the attention span when little to concentrate on anything too long.

clm

Mirela
March 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Maybe I should tie a toy to his leash to keep him occupied :shrug:

Sib.HuskyMom
March 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
yep, been there, done that! :laughing:
Both of my boys were like little vacuums on walks.

I found that every time I had to take something out of their mouth, I would say "drop it", and then open thier mouth to make it fall out (if I didn't know what it was, I wasn't about to stick my finger in there to touch it :eek:).

Since this kept happening about a thousand time a walk :rolleyes:, they learned pretty quick to drop it as soon as I said so, before I even bent down to do it for them. :highfive:

Good luck!
Don't you just love spring time, when the melting snow uncovers all sorts of "treasures"? :frustrated:

Mirela
March 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah.... not to forget the "treasures" :yuck: left nightly in my yard by the rabbits and deers...:mad:

I don't take the puppy in the back yard just for this reason. There's just nothing we can do to keep the deers away. I didn't care until now but now I don't like them anymore...

Masha
March 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
i found that a haltie is very good for training to not pick stuff up from the ground because it allowed to have good control of the head....

Mirela
March 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Sorry I'm quite the newbie here. What's a 'haltie?"

Melinda
March 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Brina was taught at an early age to "leave it" so now when we walk if I see her go for something I just say "leave it" and she walks on by, could you try that?? we started with her on a leash and a toy on the floor, we'd walk and as she went for it I'd tell her "leave it" , give a little jerk on the leash, and when she'd look up at me I'd treat her, we'd do this several times with the toy and when she mastered that we started doing it with a tasty treat and would repeat the exercise .......only took about a week to catch on to it.

Masha
March 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry I'm quite the newbie here. What's a 'haltie?"

This is a picture oh a halti:

http://www.zerodc.cz/zero-dc-katalog.php?id=122

Its basically a leash the is on the muzzle/head... we used it with a dobbie to train her to stop picking up stuff from the ground. She was likea vacum when she was younger, but this was great, a small tug on it with a leave it command, repeated again and again for a period of many walks, does work in the long run.

Mirela
March 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
:thumbs up
Good advice, thanks. We'll keep pushing the "leave it" command and see how it goes; if not I'll have to try the haltie - if I can find one to fit him...