Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grass eating canines

Marty11
March 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Here's a topic I've never seen covered since I have joined. So dogs are not designed to eat a vegetarian diet. Why do they love to eat the fresh long grass? If it's to help soothe their tummy's as "they say", are my dogs feeling sick all summer?

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mine only eats it when her tummy is upset and then she vomits a little and feels better.

Dogs are carnivorous, but I believe are technically categorized as scavengers - they will eat almost anything. (even many things that are not good for them. The wives tale that they recognize what is bad is totally untrue. Pets have died from anti-freeze and poison they willingly ate/drank).

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Here's a topic I've never seen covered since I have joined. So dogs are not designed to eat a vegetarian diet. Why do they love to eat the fresh long grass? If it's to help soothe their tummy's as "they say", are my dogs feeling sick all summer?

There is a difference between a completely vegetarian diet and SOME grains/grass/veggies.

Dogs on diets with quality meat as the main ingredients do better and live longer than those on foods with plant protein. Many studies back this up.

If you simply refuse to feed meat, at least give eggs.

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Dogs can't digest cellulose very efficiently. Why they like grass (and dirt and bark and radishes and strawberries and my old smelly sneaker) is a mystery of life. Mine tend only to eat the spring grass but rarely do they barf it up.

Marty11
March 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Don't worry Mia101 my dogs eat meat based diet. I am just curious what makes them eat soooo much grass. Come to think of it my Boston eats bird seed, had to stop feeding them.

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Don't worry Mia101 my dogs eat meat based diet. I am just curious what makes them eat soooo much grass. Come to think of it my Boston eats bird seed, had to stop feeding them.

cool - I just didn't know. some people are vegans and make their dogs and cats vegans too. Especially harmful for cats, as I'm sure you already know.

I saw one on Wife Swap and I wanted to find her address and write her a strongly worded letter, lol!

If animals didn't eat animals, many would cease to exist! People like that crack me up, but also make me mad for the poor kitties and doggies.

I don't like it either, poor little bunnies were basically designed as prey, but the bigger animals have to eat.........the circle of life.

Someday aliens will come to eat me and I'll be eating my words, hahahahahahaha

Sib.HuskyMom
March 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I think some just like the flavour.
My old dog used to love long crab grass. He would never eat regular lawn grass, but if we were out on a walk and he saw some long blades sticking up, he'd make a bee-line straight for it. :shrug:

Each to their own I guess. He never did throw up or anything from it, but he certainly helped keep the weeds down on the lawn ;)

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I thought it's not good for them, though? Haven't had to do research on that. Vet said it's fine when tummy is upset, but not too much.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I am just curious what makes them eat soooo much grass. Come to think of it my Boston eats bird seed, had to stop feeding them.

Ours seem to use grass as a purgative--if their tummies are upset, they eat grass to clean the slate, so to speak...usually to the detriment of my floor :rolleyes: :laughing:

As for the bird seed, our dogs used to tell madame hazel that they ate it because they were making sure it was of sufficient nutritional quality for the birds! :laughing: Eventually we just moved all the feeders outside of the fence to avoid 'seed poops'. :o

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
When mine eats grass, we stay outside until she vomits. Learned that lesson!

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You'd be surprised how long they can sometimes hold it in :rolleyes:

Longblades
March 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Dogs are not obligate carnivores, as cats are, and can tolerate quite high amounts of vegetable matter and grains in their diet. Just look at the ingredients on many dog foods. Whether you are a fan of grains in dog food or not there is no denying many dogs survive and even thrive on such foods.

My dogs have all enjoyed a snack of grass. My last had her special favourite and she'd give me the "look" on a walk to ask if I'd wait while she browsed. I don't recall it ever made her sick and she'd eat quite a bit. What did surprise me was how sharp it was. I discovered that one day while walking through a big patch in shorts. I had many small, painful cuts on my legs from that grass. How she could swallow and pass that grass without being cut herself I will never understand.

Gail P
March 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Some of mine like to eat grass, just for the sake of eating grass and it doesn't make them sick. Flash in particular likes it and will graze like a sheep. He seems to best like the long grass that sticks up through the patches of clover we get in our fields. He will also sometimes dig up patches of plantain in the backyard and eat that. Mine also all love any veggie scraps they can beg from me in the kitchen, and try to steal fresh veggies from me when I'm bringing them in from the garden. Beans and carrots would top their favourites list, though they will eat many others as well. Also, when they go into the chicken coop with me they eat the chicken feed, which is a mix of grains.

Masha
March 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
my guys likes grass too.. .and green peppers and red peppers and carrots and many aother veggies... we give it to him here and there, not a part of their daily diet though.

we try to keep him away from the grass... its not fun when you haev to fish grass shoots that are left sticking out of his bum after he has a poo.... especially if people are watching with disgust....

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 10:52 PM
:laughing: Oh, ya, Masha! Been there, done that! :laughing: Usually, though, the onlookers seem entertained, albeit grateful it's not them! :rolleyes:

DoubleRR
March 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Mine graze as well--do not seem to use it much to induce vomiting. They love veggie treats as well. As for long retrievals from butt--try long people hair in a dachshund's poo every once in awhile--he is indignant that the poo won't poo right, and actually asks for assistance--talk about not wanting onlookers. :laughing:

Mirela
March 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
^^^ OMG :laughing: the mental image....
Things we do for our babies....:rolleyes:

FlamesGirl
March 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM
My guy eats grass when he's been playing outside on a particularly hot day. There's fresh water available for him all the time but he'll throw himself down to the ground and start grazing on the grass. He's never thrown up from it and he'll quite happily graze until it's playtime again.