Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog owners that don't pick up their poop !

JJO
March 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
We live in a quiet Toronto neighbourhood south of Bloor West village
where numerous pet owners walk their dogs religiously & (usually) said
dog owners practice the "poop n' scoop" rule.

There is this one ignorant scoff law that refuses to leash his cocker spaniel,
refuses to scoop his dog's poop. He even hides in the bushes alongside his dog
whenever other dog walkers pass by hoping we don't see his
bylaw violation. The wife & I have confronted him about his rudeness
only to see him either running away from the scene of the crime;
or lately, even taunting us by saying " Call the cops, I don't care" as he walks away
sans his dog poop.

My question is : How do we nail this ignorant SOB ? We're planning to catch him
& his dog in the act (camera);but then, report it to what gov't/city office?
We know where he lives & are tempted to drop a truckload of manure
on his doorstep! :evil:

Any advice is welcome....and thanks in advance ! :)

Dog Dancer
March 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah these people are a very bad problem for all of us. I would call your local police department (not 911) and ask them how to go about having him charged. If it's not their department they will certainly be able to tell you who to contact. I would also be inclined to pick up his mess and deliver it (air mail) back onto his porch, but I'm not sure if that in itself could be considered illegal... Good luck to you. The guy is a "poop" head.

Frenchy
March 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I would take pictures , and send the pics , and his address , to the city office.

but I like your idea of the dumping truck on his door step :D

Melinda
March 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I kept my camera at the ready (after offering to give them a bag and getting cursed out with the "f" and "c" word in front of my daycare children, so I'd have camera in one hand and phone in the other and I'd email the pic to the spca and a copy to our mp....she was lectured and threatened with a fine...so we'll see what happens now

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
It is covered under Bylaws....maybe try calling Animal Control, I think that they are responsible for all bylaws relating to Animals, if not they will direct in the right direction.

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Im sorry but I say have they ever heard of the flaming bag of poop!!

or

the dumptruck sounds better! I hate people that dont pick up! I have offered bags to people before...Why dont you try that and see what reaction you get! idiots!!

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I hate that, because I just found out that parvo can be transmitted just by SMELLING contaminated poop. Mine doesn't touch it and I thought smelling was OK (gives hr inspiration to poo herself) but now I have to completely avoid it which is difficult. I like to let he out on the retractable leash so she can stop and smell every fricken blade of grass and then catch up, run ahead and repeat.

Of course it's gross anyway, but the parvo fear makes it dangerous.

aslan
March 29th, 2010, 04:44 PM
lol, winston i'm sooo proud of you, same thing went through my mind, actually have done it recently to an ignoramous who's dog goes on everyones lawn and he just walks away...amazing how many people answer the door in bare or sock feet.:laughing::laughing::yuck:

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Calling the By-Officer in is definitely on order.

But, who could resist a little public shaming? I vote for photo's of the
Poo-ffender and his blameless dog (who, likely, is mortified by his owner's complete lack of civility) posted on every telephone and hydro pole for two city blocks with a list of his Crimes Against Dog Decency.

Call it The CADD Report. :D

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM
We have sort of an offender notification here. If you don't pick up your poo, management will put the 'no poo' sign right in front of your condo, lol.

If caught red-handed, there is a fine.

Longblades
March 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Im sorry but I say have they ever heard of the flaming bag of poop!! LOL, my first thought too. I've never had the nerve to do it though.

A neighbour used to let his big GSD poop in front of my Mum's house. He even had the gall to rip branches off of her hedge to cover it. I guess he thought the high hedge concealed his actions from Mum but she watched and waited and timed him and one day she was out front and told him off. This was a few years ago when Mum was, oh about 89. She played up the little old lady act and it worked so well we don't think he even walks down her street any more. Want to borrow her? :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
:laughing: She sounds like a formidable ally, Longblades! :highfive:

cell
March 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
When I was a kid the neighbours dog would come poop on our law, my dad would go out now and then with a shovel and scoop it up and whip it against the bricks of the guys house. Dog poop does stick like cement if you get it on a nice sunny day where it can bake well. The owners started using their dogs tie out a while after that... :angel:

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Dog poop does stick like cement if you get it on a nice sunny day where it can bake well.

...and because it slow-bakes it leaves a very health after-glow of aroma.

We like your Dad and we like LongBlades Mum. They get the pets.ca:thumbs up seal of approval.

FlamesGirl
March 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I hate when people don't pick up after their dogs. I was out hiking 2 weekends ago and the trail was covered with dog poop! I think it's bad enough when people don't pick up when their dog poops off to the side of the trail, let alone actually ON the path! My friend and I were trying to pick our way through the massive piles of poop for about 2 km. There's even garbage containers 30 feet away from the majority of the poop piles and people can't be bothered to throw it away. Then we saw people who had picked up the poop in a plastic bag and then left the baggie on the side of the trail or hanging from a tree! WTF? Seriously? Man people bug me sometimes.

Etown_Chick
March 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Parvo can apparently live in poop for up to a year. Terrifies me that idiots in our dog park NEVER pick up, and people bring their new pups to the park all the time!
We've tried:
confrontation (sometimes works, sometimes not)
offering baggies (shames them the one time)
picking it up and tying it to the antenna of their car (works great hee hee)
Loudly inquiring who's dog is this who just dumped a big load??? (works if there is a crowd of gabbers; no one wants to look like a bad dog owner)

However as this is a walker and you know where he lives, I'd just make a habit of returning his 'goods'. I'd avoid confrontation, as it sounds like this guy might have mental health issues. Calling animal control (off leash dog) and bylaw are also great ideas.