Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hamilton Peregrine Falcons 2010 Season

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
They are back! Well they never really left...Our resident falcons dont migrate so they stick to the area pretty much all season but regardless I feel its important to welcome them back for another season of nail biting!! :thumbs up

Heres is an update from today! I have enclosed a picture for those of you that may not have seen our falcons from last year!

I'll keep you all posted as things proceed!
Here is the link to the live cam...

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/?wide

WAY TO GO MADAME X - RIGHT ON SCHEDULE!

March 29, 2010 - For the sixteenth year in a row Peregrine Falcons have laid an egg in the Sheraton Hamilton nest. Thanks to an alert from our friends at the Virgin Mobile counter in Jackson Square, which is just a few feet from our TV monitor, we have been able to confirm that around 10:30 this morning Madame X deposited what we hope is the first of several eggs of the 2010 season. This is a year to the day after the first egg appeared last year. Stay tured! If all goes well the next egg will arrive in 24-36 hours. The photo at left shows Madame X at 12:45 today. Unfortunately her shadow is blocking the camera's view of the egg, but it was easily visible by telescope from the Stelco Tower.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Is that Madame X sitting on the egg in the nest cam shots? She's such a good Mommy! :lovestruck:

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Great Winston :thumbs up....I was about to pm you any day now to ask when we could expect to see Madame X again.....1 year to the day, what a timepiece she must have built in.

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hazel yes thats our Queen! she will pretty much be on those eggs until they hatch or she decides to give Dad (Surge) some time which she does! sometimes its hilarious because she will let Dad sit on the eggs and when she returns he doesnt want to get off them so she sometimes has to get mad at him and then he gets off rather quickly! :laughing:

Sorry all the men out there but the women wear the pants in the Falcon world!

Chris! I have been waiting patiently for them to come on line cause I see the falcons all year round an am generally looking for any news on them!

She laid an egg exactly one year ago to today! God their body clock is right on schedule!! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Is this the same male from year to year, Winston? I forget how monogamous falcons are...are they lifetime paired or just seasonally paired?

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Life tiem paired but falcon fatality's are great so it sometimes last a long time but Madame X is on her 3rd or 4th mate now? The big hurdle for them is also territory battles! if you loose you can loose your mate! I think this is the 4th year for Surge and her.

NoahGrey
March 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the pictures. My ornithology professor would love to know about this nest, if he doesn't already. He is a genus on birds. It is also my favorite class. Beautiful picture.

ACO22

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
ACO22 I actually have a pretty awesome list of live web cams anything from hummingbirds to sites in Africa...I was checking out one a few months ago and it was a live bear den! pretty cool! I will have to dig the list up again :thumbs up...

I volunteer every year but couldnt last summer because of my surgury but I am anxious to get back to it this year! They are truly amazing to watch and to see how the family interacts with mom and dad is pretty cool! we have had a year in the past where there were 3 females and 1 male and I have to say he was the typical little bro! a true troublemaker

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
ACO22 I actually have a pretty awesome list of live web cams anything from hummingbirds to sites in Africa...I was checking out one a few months ago and it was a live bear den! pretty cool! I will have to dig the list up again :thumbs up...

Oooo-Ooooo Post pleeez!!!!

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
no problem just give me some time to dig'er up!:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Are they able to tell where the offspring end up, Winston?

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Sometimes...it depends on whether they survive after fledging and leaving the area. They are banded and we do get some updates now and then..

Quite a few of them have made their homes outside of here into the USA!! :thumbs up We have one named Stelco after our steel plant and she lives in Lansing Michigan...we had a one legged falcon named Dundas a few yrs ago...he survived and tried to live a successful life and then one day he was gone...:( left his mate and there have been no successful id's of a 1 legged falcon! I would sooo love to attend one of the bandings....:thumbs up you get to hold them when they are just youngins!! I keep mentioning it but they never seem to invite me..:D One of these days!

Madame X is getting up there in age for falon...I think she is 12 now! thats good! the mortality rates is really high.....urban landscape kills alot of them and also the territorial battles.....sad but part of it...they are really making a comeback....they have been moved up to the threatened list from endangered now that we dont use DDT anymore!

Here is Stelco from Lansing MI...taken way back in 2001 but she is still their as of last year! she is a real pretty girl..kinda blue in color....

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM
She is very nicely marked! :lovestruck:

I used to help band hawks--I remember the first time they let me hold one I darn near let it get away :o They said 'gently but firmly'...and I guess I was more gentle than firm! :laughing: It was a thrill, though. :o

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Oh Hazel I am soo jealous! that would be a thrill...mind you I got to see some of Madame X's children a couple of years ago up close around 15 ft away...pretty cool to see them outside the binoculars and that close! hard to miss the one that year...her name was blue foot..she had a respiratory type infection but made it through...her feet stayed blue and not yellow!! when I got to see them it was up on the 24th floor of the building where only special peeps get to go and its way up there where the birds are much more visable than from ground level! I loved it...:thumbs up

You got to hold one.....:D are Hawks loud/vocal while you have a hold of them?

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Not the red-tails and kestrels we mostly got. I don't remember hearing a peep out of them once we had them in hand. Thankfully, very little biting, either. :D

Winston
March 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
You should hear the falcons...OMG you would think there was a slaughter happening or something...they often spray a little bit of water on their face and in their mouth and it seems to calm them down.. funny to hear one start and its horrible and then the others will sometimes chime right in there! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure ours were quiet... :o But all of ours were solo--not nesting season and not paired up with a parent for hunting education, so they might just have been quiet because there was no one to hear :shrug:

The alternate theory is that they were shooting their beaks off the whole time and I just don't remember it because I'm getting old! :laughing:

Chris21711
April 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Any updates fer us Winston :D

Winston
April 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM
We have 4 Eggs! Yippeee...sorry for the late update! I's been busy!

April 10, 2010 - Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Once again Madame X has laid four eggs in the Sheraton Hamilton nest. The wet and cold weather has kept her very close to the scrape all week, and it was cold and windy up there again today, but at 13:35 she left the nest and let us have a good look the four big brown bruisers in the image at left! What pulled her off the nest was the need to chase the juvenile Peregrine, who is still hanging around. Surge had visited the nest just before Madame X departed but he must have stayed close by. When she took off after the youngster, he appeared out of nowhere to tend the eggs. This is the second time we have seen her leave the nest to pursue the stranger. Then, obviously pumped full of adrenaline, and just because she could, Madame X knocked the stuffings out of a passing Turkey Vulture. We have had a lot of TVs through the downtown the last few days but they have not gotten a rise out of our birds until today. When MX was chasing the immature I had a sense of them being similar in size, so the visitor could be a female?

hazelrunpack
April 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
All I could think was "poor, unsuspecting turkey vulture!" :o :laughing:

Glad to hear that the nest is being well-tended! 4 eggs!! :highfive:

Chris21711
April 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the update Winston...sounds like Madame X had herself a bit of fun....There were 4 eggs last year wasn't there?

Winston
April 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Yes Chris she averages between 4-5 eggs. As a falcon ages the eggs get less vibrant in color and they produce less eggs. Madame X is an awesome Mommy and most years she has 4 offspring. Sometimes the weather in March and April affect the eggs volatility but generally its 4-5.

They also hatch within 1-2 days of each other too! :thumbs up

No updates today but I am trying to find out if they have identified the immature intruder! I'll keep you posted.

chico2
April 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Winston,this is soo exciting and also nervy..is there any predators that could nab the eggs,or the chicks,when they are born??
I suppose the Falcons are very good at protecting their nest,if Madame X can knock out a Turkey Vulture.
Here in my humble backyard,I have birdhouses and several nests,I cry every time a nest has been raided..most of the time by Blue-Jays:(

Winston
April 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Chico no worries ! its really sad but reality...

Madame X is one heck of a fighter! I have seen her take out many prey..A red tail hawk, she chased a golden eagle out of downtown a couple of years ago, the turkey vultures are the worst trouble but she has no trouble defending her nest.

Thats one of my worst fears...since I have been following the nest I always worry about intruders and if another female makes an attempt either that bird or Madame X will die or basically loose her territory and it sometimes the mate?? such a brutal reality eh? I certainly dont want to be around when that happens! :(

Chris21711
April 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Anymore Pics Winston :D

Winston
April 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Well Chris we have had a weed problem in the nest for a few yrs..:D As yoou can tell from this pic its getting harder to see the nest. Every year once the chicks get banded the MNR guys pulls the weed for us but it keeps coming back...This yr its HUGE! not sure what they are gonna do about it since its very hard to get near the nest while Madame X is incubating....unless you have a death wish...:laughing:

chico2
April 20th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Is that dark part Madame X,it's strange to see weeds that high up,but I guess they grow everywhere:confused:

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I think it was planted by Madame X once she realized where the camera was. Just for a little privacy, don't ya know! :D

Winston
April 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
:laughing: Its been there for years and they pull it out every yr and it keeps coming back! This is the largest it has been since I have been volunteering!
Last year the babies used it for some shade so I guess its not a bad thing...well for us it is.....things are pretty boring right now..many females are brooding their eggs!

Heres an awesome shot someone on the website took of Madame X! :thumbs up to tie you over for now!

Winston
April 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Chris here is a special pic just for you....hope it doesnt slow you down too much!:thumbs up

Love4himies
April 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Thank you Winston for keeping us updated on Madame X over the years. I don't get much of a chance to comment as I am really busy at work and at home, but wanted to know I follow this thread and appreciate your updates :grouphug:

Chris21711
April 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Chris here is a special pic just for you....hope it doesnt slow you down too much!:thumbs up

Oooooooooooo, so floofy :cloud9:

Hey Winston, you are a bit of a gardener, git up there and pull them weeds will ya' :laughing:

That shot of Madame X.....awesome :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
That nestling looks a little po'd, Winston :o :laughing: I think it's gonna grow up with an attitude now. :p

Winston
April 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Hazel thats a baby from last year or the year befiore I cant remember! :D I think that was a female that weighed in at 1100 grams.....the males are much smaller between 500-700 grams....they fly really good because they have less weight to carry! how typical eh :D:laughing:

Hey Winston, you are a bit of a gardener, git up there and pull them weeds will ya'
Chris thats the top of the building are you kidding!! I thinks its 12 floors?? I keep hoping every banding day that I might get asked to go into the room ands see the banding and the chicks up close...so far no go! thats okay I have patience. Chris if your at home on banding day you be able to see live on the web cam the fella from the MNR he climbs over the roof...down the front of building and into the nest..retrieves the chicks..sends the chicks back up via the rope and then he sits and waits....the whole time MadameX is not pleased at all and trys to attack him...he has been doing it for yrs so he doesnt even get bothered by her!

If you get a chance to watch it live its pretty cool...he will once again pull out the weed...I suspect they make ask him to be 100 sure he got the root because it is really BIG this year! and it impedes the view of the camera. No action or updates today! Madame X is just brooding those eggs away!

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Uh-oh...you mean she's all grown up and out there plotting her revenge already? :eek: :laughing:

Chris21711
April 22nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Winston;910489]

Chris thats the top of the building are you kidding!! I thinks its 12 floors??

Don't be a scared, I'll hold the rope and dangle you over the edge, no problem, really, believe me :laughing:

I keep hoping every banding day that I might get asked to go into the room ands see the banding and the chicks up close...so far no go!

Don't wait to be asked, just tell 'em, my turn :D

Chris if your at home on banding day you be able to see live on the web cam the fella from the MNR he climbs over the roof

I'm not sure if dial-up can handle such hi-tech devises :laughing:....hopefully :)

[QUOTE]

Winston
May 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well still nothing to update. Madame X continues to brood her eggs. She will likely have a hatch this weekend. Always in time for Mothers Day! :thumbs up Keep your eyes posted on the web cam...you may look and see a big white ball of fluff and youll know its a baby! Now the fun begins watching them grow and to think in about 45 days they will be flying the skys around Hamilton!! :cloud9:

I'll keep ya posted!

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
:goodvibes:

Thinking on it, hazel has decided that she'd love to be able to fly in 45 days.... :cloud9: Can't wait to watch them actually do it! :D

Winston
May 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Woooooo Hoooooo We Have Hatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up

Heres the news!

FIRST CHICK OF 2010!!!!!

May 6, 2010 - Lead monitor Audrey Gamble reports: The long wait IS over for Madame X and Surge. The image at left, taken at 10:02 this morning, clearly shows the first young Peregrine of 2010 in the Sheraton Hamilton nest. As of noon the presence of the chick and the three remaining eggs was confirmed by telescope. This is one year to the day, and almost to the minute, of the first chick's appearance last year. We are on our way!!!

Today Madame X took full charge of the eggs, her usual style when it gets this close to hatching. It's disappointing not to be able to follow as closely from our home computers as we usually do. I sure hope the chicks will be as hardy as the bloomin' weed. Once the chicks hatch and get moving around they should trample the weed down, giving us a better view.

Even through the weed I could see that Madame X was restless this morning. She sat tight all afternoon with her back towards the camera and me, so even from the Stelco Tower I didn't get a look under her. She may have been restless because she heard 'pipping' and perhaps also because the wind was strong and gusty. Despite the shelter of the scrape, her feathers were being well ruffled by the wind. Surge visited the nest ledge every hour or so and had a little 'chat' with Madame X, but she didn't budge. Surge would make a few passes by the nest and return to his nearby sentry post. At one point three passing turkey vultures drew his attention and there was nothing mild mannered about the reception he gave them. Madame X didn't leave the eggs, but she finally turned around so that I at least had a glimpse of the front two eggs while she was 'jiggling and squiggling'.

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM
:highfive: Congrats to the lovely couple! :flirt:

WooooHooooo! :thumbs up

chico2
May 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Winston that's great news,i hope mama is not too uncomfortable with the rain and cold today..:pray:

Winston
May 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Chico it is absolutely horrible here and I always worry that the chicks will not be viable with all this cold weather but the people that I volunteer with say that they are nice and cozy under mom! and she protects them from alot.

Besides is wont be long before they are laying flat out on their bellys in the hot sun and god too look at them you'd think they were dead!

1 Down 3 to go! usually a couple of days apart so maybe late tonight or tomorow check in! :thumbs up

NoahGrey
May 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
yay. Great to hear. :)

Winston
May 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
SECOND CHICK..........................................

May 7, 2010 - Lead monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Just before 14:00 today Madame X stepped onto the upper ledge, providing a clear look at two white fluffballs. Seconds later Surge came in with lunch and proceeded to feed the chicks while herself watched, as can be seen in the image at left. Two more chicks to come - we hope - and warmer weather after the rain and winds clear out tomorrow. Stay tuned!!

hazelrunpack
May 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
2 in 2 day! :highfive:

chico2
May 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
:thumbs up and it's sooo windy and cold,but like you say mom will keep them warm:pray:

Winston
May 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
THREE!! WOOO HOOOOO

May 8, 2010 - At 14:25 today Surge brought in some food and Madame X stepped onto the upper ledge, providing a clear look at three fluffy white chicks, as seen in the image at left. Today's high winds seem to have bent the weed a bit to the south, providing a better view of the nest corner, and we hope that it will not move back. Getting ready for Number Four - stay tuned!!

chico2
May 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Great Winston:thumbs up
Just one more to go,then the real work starts for mom and dad:lovestruck:

Love4himies
May 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wahoo :thumbs up. What a great couple they are :cloud9:

It is so cold out, I hope the chicks will be OK :pray:

Chris21711
May 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Very neat Winston, thanks for the update :thumbs up

Winston
May 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Update

FOUR ON THE FLOOR ONCE MORE!!

May 10, 2010 - Lead monitor Audrey Gamble reports: At 12:18 today Madame X and Surge completed what has become an annual Mother's Day Weekend event - successful hatching of four apparently healthy chicks. In the image at left, taken at 14:37 this afternoon, it looks like X and Surge (back to the camera) are congratulating each other on a job well done, so far. In the background, although not totally discernable as separate individuals, are the four chicks. Congratulations, Ma and Pa!

Now the fun begins. Banding will be in about 3-4 weeks - watch how these little ones grow in that time. Stay Tuned!

Love4himies
May 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Wahoo! Congrats M X and Surge!

hazelrunpack
May 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
4 for 4! :highfive: Way to go, Surge and Madame X!!!!

chico2
May 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Winston,that's just fantastic,now begins the worry though,are they going to make it or not?
I know mom and dad will take real good care.
They are so beautiful:cloud9:

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Update

May 12, 2010 - At 17:02 today the adults were out of the nest ledge briefly and our webcam caught the image at left. If you look closely you can clearly see four separate falcon-chick noggins. The largest chick seems to be saying, "All right you guys, listen up." We were tempted to say that they are growing like bad weeds, but refrained because of the errant piece of vegetation sharing the nest ledge. Keep watching to see these little guys grow every day.

chico2
May 13th, 2010, 03:55 PM
awww Winston,that's just fantastic:thumbs up

We too are exited,we have babies in our birdhouses chirping away,only lowly Sparrows though,but they are important too,right:thumbs up

Winston
May 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
absolutely! I am excited every year to watch them grow! :thumbs up

Winston
May 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
growing like weeds! sort of! they are sooo ugly their cute!

chico2
May 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
They sure are Winston:thumbs upI see some white fluff in the forground,:confused:hope the fourth one is ok:fingerscr

Winston
May 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
yep Chico all is well so far! it appears all are getting food! the one in the foreground is just having a nap! its even worse when its hotter, they lay flat on their face spread eagle and just lay there! you would think their dead for sure!~ :laughing:

On a sad note I watched a peregrine family in the Netherlands live for a very long time...a few years back one of the chicks was the last to hatch and many days after the others, obviously very small and you could tell it wasnt going to make it. The mom and dad tried to feed it and keep it going but it appeared to be very under developed. It passed away one night while thousands of us watched online and it was quite sad. Having said that it is nature?? It was even sadder to see Mom discard it from the nest! In peregrines with multiple chicks you can always see the first born be the bully in getting food....mom and dad know to give to the others but when there are 4 of you, you have to stand up for your food or you wont get any!

Chico what was even more amazing was that the female of the nest sadly lost her battle for the territory after having laid 3 eggs. No one knew what would happen. Well Dad stepped up to the plate and brooded them until a short while after they hatched they accepted the new female as thier mom! she must have been a new mom too because the chicks wouls squak at her and she would fly away...pretty crazy that year but amazing to be able to see whats going on high up on tower in the Netherlands!

hazelrunpack
May 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Looks like all is going well so far, Winston! And :fingerscr that Madame X and Surge don't suffer the same drama that the Dutch couple did!

chico2
May 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Winston,yes there is a lot of tragedy in the wild,but like you say,it's the way of nature,does not make it any easier for us humans though.

One of my bird-houses was raided,the babies are gone,usually it's a Blue-Jay who gets them,I am really not too fond of Blue-Jays,but I guess that too is the way of nature.
The male Sparrow was sitting by the house chirping away,but he got no reply:(
They work so hard every spring,only to lose their babies,but they'll try again.

I hope the little Peregrines will be fine:pray:

Winston
May 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM
HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU?

May 31, 2010 - The image at left, taken yesterday around 20:00, shows the relative sizes of the chicks. The smallest one, at near right, is most likely male, and the other three female. The adults have - obviously - been feeding them well. Over the weekend both adults also spent a lot of time in the nest ledge shading the youngsters from the sun as temperatures went into the low 30sC. The effect of the heat could also be seen from the adults' open mouths, caused by panting. This is how Peregrines and other birds cool down in hot weather.

We are keeping a close eye on the electronics which have occasionally caused the the image to get 'stuck' and will try to make sure that pictures are available throughout tomorrow's banding, which should start around 10:00.

BANDING DAY TOMRROW LIVE ON THE WEB CAM! :thumbs up

Chris21711
May 31st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Are you going to be able to participate in the banding Winston?

chico2
May 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Winston,I was just thinking of you today and the babies,they look fine,although I don't see the fourth one:confused:

Winston
June 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Chico I was not able to make it on time today. I was about an hour late so I didnt see anyone?? The fella on the web cam looked different to me! and I guess it turned out to be true...here is an update below. There are some concerns but we will have to wait and see what happens. Falcons are pretty tough birds! The blue foot seems to becoming a common issue in the Hamilton nest. It is apparently a respiratory type infection that they get from pigeons and other birds. I am going to confirm that though...Others have said its hereditary but I know for a fact that Madame X had this start about 3 broods ago...with one each year. Now 3????? :eek: I hope the tiny one makes it....

June 1, 2010 Afternoon - After a heavy rain storm overnight, Banding Day 2010 turned into a warm blue-sky morning. Veteran climber John Millar coached Chris Finney in his first descent to the Sheraton Hamilton Peregrine nest ledge. Madame X was her usual vocal self, making many close passes and actually clipping Chris a couple of times. The chicks were placed in a specially built four-compartment container, raised up and brought inside the Sheraton where biologists weighed them and affixed numbered metal and character coded plastic bands. Blood samples taken from two of the chicks will be analyzed for contaminants. The four are generally in good condition, although there is a concern about the smallest one. Our prediction of three females and one male has been reversed - the extra white fluff fooled us.
In keeping with HCPP practice the four youngsters were named after historic Hamilton sites, this year four of our oldest hospitals - St. Joseph's, Chedoke, St. Peter's and Henderson. Meet the new 2010 Sheraton Hamilton Peregrines!

Introducing!

Winston
June 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joseph (492 g, male, blue feet, some yellow):

The Sisters of St. Joseph came to Hamilton in 1852 to care for orphaned children. During the cholera epidemic among immigrants in 1854, they nursed the sick in make-shift sheds. For the next 30 years, they built a reputation for caring for the ill and homeless poor. With bequests they opened a small hospital in 1890. New wings and a school of nursing were added and by 1947 the hospital occupied most of a city block. With further major expansions and conversion of the nurses residence, today it is a 430-bed teaching hospital with a 30-bed chronic care unit.

Winston
June 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Chedoke (518g, male, blue feet): Founded in 1906 the Mountain Sanatorium - the fourth in Canada - provided care for tuberculosis patients from Hamilton and the surrounding communities. With the advent of effective drug therapy in the 1940s the need for years of bed rest came gradually to an end. In 1961, with a changed mandate, it became a general hospital called the Chedoke General and Children's Hospital. After several name and functionality changes it is now known as Chedoke Hospital of Hamilton Health Sciences.

Winston
June 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Peter (525g, male, blue feet): St. Peter's Infirmary was founded in 1890 with room for 14 patients. Recognized as a hospital under the Public Hospital Acts in 1931, by the 1970s St. Peter's had grown to accommodate 284 mainly geriatric patients. Presently part of the St. Peter's Health System, the hospital now specializes in the care of adults of all ages with chronic illness.

Winston
June 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Henderson (746g, female, yellow feet): With wounded soldiers returning from World War I it was decided to build a convalescent hospital on the escarpment. The first building of the Mount Hamilton Hospital, opened in April 1917, was a 100-bed veterans' unit. A maternity hospital built in 1932 sat empty until 1938 because of lack of funds during the Depression. In 1954 the 322-bed Nora-Frances Henderson Convalescent Hospital, built on the same site, was named after the first woman in Canada elected to a city Board of Control. In 1965 the two adjacent hospitals were linked together and renamed the Henderson General Hospital; today it is part of Hamilton Health Sciences. Sadly, the Henderson name will soon disappear. Instead of choosing a joint name to recognize the addition of a newly built world-class cancer research centre, the hospital will be renamed after the latter only.

Chris21711
June 2nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Winston, Madame X hit the big time, in today's Toronto Star there is a photo of her laying her talons into the MNR guy who is gathering the chicks.

chico2
June 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Winston,I saw them on the news yesterday,was thinking you might be there,but then again I don't know what you look like:laughing:
The babies are already a good size,really cute:lovestruck:
They said they might get sick from eating meat,contaminated in the heat:confused:I hope not:fingerscr

Winston
June 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Yes Chris she did! it was his first climb! what a way to remember it! :laughing: Next year I am sure he will not have his back to her! The normal guy that does it was training the new guy! I bet he was having a good chuckle!

I am pretty sure they will all be okay. From what I have seen over the past few yrs it seems if they make it through the first few weeks they tend to survive. However having said that after they fledge the nest and leave home we have no idea how long they live. :( inless there is a siting.

I missed the outdoor event this year..I couldnt get away from the office...I tried to watch online....

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Poor new guy! :o :laughing: Think he'll call in sick on banding day next year? :p

Wow, Henderson is pretty big compared to the other three!!

Winston
June 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Yes Hazel she sure is! the females are always huge!

Okay this is what its like to have boys in the nest! and OMG this is just the start of it! check out this pic....

Oh what a difference a couple of days makes! check out the new growth in the wings...you see the black pin feathers coming in....they were just fluff balls on banding day!!! :laughing:

chico2
June 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Wow,do they ever grow fast,a sign of good upbringing by mom and dad:thumbs up

Winston
June 18th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Sorry no updates for awhile..I have been distracted.

All 4 are doing well...Peter fledged the nest yesterday and is doing good...3 remain....the youngest Chedoke is alot younger and still growing...no doubt he will be the last one! he is brave now though as he will venture onto the ledge now! :thumbs up

Chris21711
June 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the update on their well being Winston....Good to hear they all appear to be doing well :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Wow, fledging already! :eek: :highfive:

chico2
June 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thank you Winston,I am so happy to read they are all ok:thumbs up

Winston
June 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Here is a new mug shot! they have changed so much!

Hazel yes already...they are not sure if he chose his first flight or if it was the wind that forced him to off the ledge! but yes he is the first....they will be all grown up in a couple of weeks...:( they are such beautiful birds once they are mature with their unique colors and markings...

Peter is not in the pic because he is sitting on another rooftop! :D

On a sad note I had to call Animal Control for a seagull last week with a wing dragging behind him down the street...looked like he took a direct hit...also a pigeon....sadly neither would have made it but at least they didnt suffer! Kudos to AC for arriving so quickly for me! I know some people laughed at me because there are so many seagulls and pigeons but I could not let them suffer.

Winston
June 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Heres another shot for good measure...One of our previous chicks has taken up roost in the USA...This is Duncan from last year!

Winston
June 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
For thos of you interested in checking this out....there is a great video done by the Hamilton Spectator of the Banding event. There are some stunning pictures! some nice close ups of the chicks, and a chance to see whats involved in banding them. There is a great shot of Madame X landing on the shoulder of the newbie climber! this is definately the time that she cut him!

Enjoy

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/video2/Falcons/

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM
LOL The chicks look mighty unhappy during the banding, as does Madame X...not to mention Phinney! :laughing:

Duncan is quite the handsome young falcon! :flirt:

chico2
June 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
OH Winston,Duncan is absolutely beautiful,do they usually stay around the same area,or would Duncan come back to the area he was born:confused:probably a dumb question:loser:
The babies are so big,amazing how fast they grow..

Winston
June 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
No Chico they do try ocassionally, but they quickly leave....The only time they would stay is to fight for the territory.

Love4himies
June 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you for sharing that video, Winston. Wow, Duncan is one handsome dude :lovestruck: :cloud9:.

I do feel sorry for Madame X :(, she must get very stressed at banding time.

Winston
June 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM
A little update from the site.....

JOSEPH GOES EXPLORING

June 20, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: Now that both Peter and Joseph are flying regularly, Henderson (left, just after 07:00 today) looks as if she's going to jump any minute. Things are getting pretty exiting for Falconwatchers. Although Peter was the first to fly, Joseph is definitely the adventurous one. He spent much of his day trying out new perches and investigating rooftops. At 12:00 I watched him take what I believe to be his first ever bath, in a puddle on the roof of the Standard Life building. Joseph waded in so deep that the water was up to his belly. Then he commenced splashing about, dunking his head under water and using the backs of his wings to throw water onto his back, making it look as if he'd done it many times before.

Both Joseph and Peter got more practice flying, and more importantly, landing. Their flights are getting longer too. Madame X and Surge seem to be rewarding those who fly with their meals first. This quite obviously upsets Henderson; food will no doubt be the reason she makes her first flight. Chedoke is looking more and more like the others and has been getting plenty of exercise on the nest ledge with Henderson. Madame X has been showing us that she's still got it. This evening I watched her dive From the Fairclough building lightning rod to catch a bird over the city centre, moments later returning with supper. After dinner Joseph returned to the nest and Peter chose to perch on the Stelco tower for the night.

Enjoy!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'd love to be able to watch them develop their wing-skills! :cloud9: Must be fun to watch!

Glad to hear all is going so well! Madame X and Surge must be so proud!

Chris21711
June 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Great updates Winston....for obvious reasons I couldn't watch the video :frustrated: but your accounts are great. I look forward to them every year :o

aslan
June 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
FLYING ON HER OWN - HENDERSON JOINS HER BROTHERS: June 22, 2010 - Perhaps with the title of the Rita McNeil song in mind, at 05:58 this morning Henderson left the nest ledge and flew to the Fairclough building. After an aborted landing there she flew east and was lost to sight for almost an hour. Shortly after 07:00, when one of the adults brought breakfast in to Peter and Joseph on the Standard Life building, Henderson landed beside them seconds later, so she hadn't been far away.

Winston
June 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
:thumbs up Now little Chedoke waits for her turn! at the rate she is going falconwatch will be waiting for Thanksgiving for her to fledge!

Winston
June 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Woooo Hoooo Chedoke finally got his courage!!

CHEDOKE TAKES TO THE AIR!!!! At 07:40 this morning Chedoke, the last 2010 chick to make the leap, finally did it! After a nice strong flight out over King St. and the Art Gallery of Hamilton he returned to the upper roof of the Sheraton where, according to Falconwatchers, he made a much better than normal first landing. Stay tuned!!!

Now the real fun begins trying to watch them all!

chico2
June 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Awwww Winston,that is so great,OMG,the time just flew,it feels like yesterday that they were all,balls of white fluff:thumbs up:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
He'd had a lot of time to watch the others and plan his first landing accordingly. :D

Hurrah for Chedoke!!! :highfive:

Do they sort of stick together to give Mom and Dad a break, or do they run them ragged by splitting up? (Like typical kids, eh? :laughing:)

Love4himies
June 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Wahoo :thumbs up:thumbs up

Winston
June 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
OMG its unbeleiveable trying to watch all 4 at once....and then it goes to moments like watching paint dry! when their all full and sleeping the day away while the falconwatchers wait patiently for that moment!

They will hang around now learning from mom and dad until about August and then they start telling them to leave! they are wanderers so they wander around looking for a territory of their own...and if they are fortunate to survive they will start the cycle all over again! its absolutely amazing to see them hatch and then grow into adults in a matter of weeks!

I havent been able to falconwatch this year but I was on site the other day gettings some updates and at that time the 3 of them were enjoying the puddles on a rooftop nearby, splashing and jumping and having a grand ole time! it was good news indeed!

Cindy

Winston
July 2nd, 2010, 05:54 AM
An update....Chedoke is injured and being treated at a local facility. Here is the info from the site:

June 30, 2010 - Falconwatch Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Wouldn't you know it, the exciting stuff always happens when the Coordinator's away! In the early hours of this morning Falconwatchers lost sight of Chedoke after he flew from the Thomson Building. It was a while before he was relocated on the entrance marquee of the Stelco Tower, not far above street level. During the early part of the day Chedoke was active - walking back and forth along the marquee, bright, alert and responding to movement in the sky above. Whenever an adult peregrine passed over Chedoke called to them and was obviously indignant at missing lunch. Falconwatchers, not having seen the flight or landing, were uncertain of the sequence of events that brought him to this low perch and kept close watch. As the day wore on it became apparent that Chedoke had sustained a wing injury. In the early evening a rescue was made by Coordinator Brad and last year's Coordinator Sandra Davey, now a member of our Rescue Team. Chedoke, whose adventure even made the news, is at a rehabilitation facility, full of energy and very feisty. An x-ray is scheduled for today. We will advise the situation as soon as we know ourselves. The other three chicks spent the day flying high and free, playing tag and continuing to develop their skills.

Thanks VERY much to members of the public who, although interested in this beautiful wild creature respected his space and safety (and provided the photo of Chedoke on the Stelco marquee at left), to Yale Properties who assisted in her security and rescue, to the Hamilton Police Department for assistance with traffic, and to well wishers who offered assistance and good wishes. Chedoke is resting safe and sound, and we will keep you posted on results of her upcoming x-rays.

Winston
July 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Todays update

FOOD TRANSFERS - CHEDOKE UPDATE

July 1, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: Peter, Henderson and Joseph celebrated their first Canada Day by continuing to improve their skills and increase their abilities. There were a number of aerial food exchanges today, with one or other chick taking food from an adult while both were flying, as well as a few regular style food drops. I'm beginning to think that the different food delivery methods aren't as much training for the chicks as they are survival tactics for the adults. The young ones are ferocious - and seemingly fearless - when it comes to trying to take food from their parents in mid-air. Today we also saw the three of them beginning to hunt, chasing potential prey in flight. It seemed like they were chasing anything that flew by. At one point a helicopter flew overhead and it looked as if Henderson was trying to chase that too. Henderson, I think you should stick to chasing birds for now!!

I know the question on everyone's mind is "How's Chedoke?" Well, Chedoke is currently staying at a rehabilitation facility while awaiting x-rays, which may take a few days to obtain. We're told that Chedoke is doing well and is as feisty as ever.

Winston
July 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
here is chedoke almost a t street level on a sign at the sheraton...before going into rehab..

chico2
July 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Winston,I saw him yesterda on the ChCh news,right away I thought something was wrong with him:(
Hopefully there is not something seriously wrong with him:pray:
If he's ok,will he be returned to the same area??

Winston
July 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yes Chico they will return him to the top f the Sheraton Roof close to the nest...Likely under the cover of darkness. We hope for not too long of a time frame from him being taken to being returned.

2 yrs ago we had an injured young and he was gone from the nest for 2 weeks, when he returned Surge (the male) attacked him for about 5 minutes before he figured out who he was. Actually it was Masdame X that came to his rescue and stopped the attack. He took 3 direct hits before it ended. I think its because he was gone for that length of time but I am no expert on it.

Sounded like they are being safe than sorry....checking for fractures in the wing. She is the youngest and less advanced at flying compared to the others.

Some of their first landings are scary to see until they get they hang of it! :eek: Its gonna be tough for her to return and be further behind than the rest too because she is in a flight cage and the others are learning airial transfers and tag and stuff. Having said all that I think she will be fine.

Dont know if you all know but, the mortality rate of falcons in their first year is 80%. They aloso have been removed from the endangered species to threatened. The banning and use of DDT has made the difference.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I hope they don't find any fractures, Winston! Lucky for Chedoke there are so many caring people looking out for her welfare! Speedy recovery, little girl!!!! :goodvibes:

chico2
July 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Oh,me too,I hope she'll be ok:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:they are such beautiful birds.
I did not know they are off the endangered list:(

Winston
July 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Update

CHEDOKE COMING BACK SOON!

July 5, 2010 - Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Chedoke has come through the x-ray process with flying colours. The veterinarian and rehab facility report says, "No breaks. Holding and flapping both wings well. No evidence of swelling or soreness. Eating well. Moved to release training cage for a bit more monitoring. Ready to come home soon."

Chedoke's gender has also been confirmed - she's a girl! The uncertainty about this arose because of her extremely low weight at banding; despite a larger than expected leg thickness, at 518 grams she was way below the average weight for a female of that age. Obviously she has been fed well in the five weeks since banding! Although we have stopped the morning and evening watches for lack of 'watchees', we will be lining up volunteers to keep an eye on Chedoke when she is released on the Sheraton roof.

woo hoo...lets hope for a gentle reintroduction.....:thumbs up

chico2
July 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Phew,I am so glad she's ok:thumbs uphopefully she will have no problems coming back:pray:
The birds seem exhausted in this heat,we thought this young Black-Bird was sick,laying on the ground with his wings spread out,but as soon as we approached he flew off to mom:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
:fingerscr for a non-traumatic reintroduction! :goodvibes:

Winston
July 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Update

NO REST FOR FALCONS OR FALCONWATCHERS

July 8, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: After spending her first day and night back home in various places on top of the Sheraton, around 06:00 today Chedoke made a strong flight from the Sheraton out over King Street and the Art Gallery of Hamilton, then landed pretty well on the Standard Life building. This was the first of four very good flights today. On Standard Life she hopped about, snacking on leftover food and generally exploring. A rather large puddle of standing water from yesterday's rains proved too enticing in today's 43C equivalent heat, so she waded in and began splashing, dipping and dunking every thing she could in the water. Once refreshed from the bath Chedoke flew to the roof of the Thompson building where where she was joined for a while by Henderson. While still on Thompson Chedoke enjoyed a private meal delivered by Surge and supervised by Madame X, who was watching closely from the Stelco tower. Without wasting any time after the meal, Chedoke flew out past the Art Gallery, circled over the Board of Education and zipped north between Sheraton and Standard Life to circle over Copps Coliseum, finally making an excellent landing on Standard Life. She then ran into the shade and slept for the entire afternoon. After the siesta Chedoke joined Peter, Joseph and Henderson in a brief game of tag. Their idea of tag may be a little too rough; Chedoke decided to sit out the rest of the game and found a perch on the Federal building on Bay Street, and was still there when night fell.

Although she seemed to be favouring her left wing a bit toward the end of her very busy day, Falconwatchers are very pleased with Chedoke's progress. With luck her training will resume in the cooler weather that is forecast after today's rains end. Because of the extra week of flying they have had, her siblings may help the parents out in this essential task.

NoahGrey
July 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the update Winston

chico2
July 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Winston,I am glad she's ok,thank you:thumbs up

Winston
July 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
CHEDOKE FLIES TO NEW HEIGHTS

July 11, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: Chedoke watching was very exciting today as she flew all over the downtown area, landing on and exploring the roofs of buildings she'd not previously visited. Just after 09:00 Madame X flew in with a very big pigeon clutched in her talons, which Henderson quickly took over in a flawless and impressive aerial exchange over City Hall. Henderson then landed on the roof of the convention Centre where she was joined by Peter and Joseph to enjoy the meal. Chedoke, who had been sitting on the Standard Life building after her first flight of the day, got the message and soon took flight, gliding straight to her siblings with only a few flaps of her wings. Impressive! For much of the afternoon Surge was perched on the BDC building, and it seemed as though Chedoke wanted to join him on his high perch. She circled BDC many times, progressively getting higher and higher until she was well above BDC. Unfortunately though, by the time Chedoke landed on the BDC roof, Surge had already left. Still, it was a great achievement and a sure sign that her skills and abilities are improving.

chico2
July 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Winston,it's great to hear Chedoke is doing fine,thank's Winston:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Sounds like the wing has healed beautifully!!

Winston
July 17th, 2010, 06:10 AM
FALCONWATCH 2010 WINDS DOWN

July 15, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: After watching today it has become clear that Chedoke has recovered, improved and matured beyond the need for us to continue the watch any longer, so this will be my final report for Falconwatch 2010. Since her return Chedoke has rebonded easily with siblings Peter, Joseph and Henderson, and been accepted back by Madame X and Surge. She is now flying so well that she blends right in with the others, probably the only time I've ever been happy about not being able to tell them apart. It has been a great privilege to have taken part in this project, and watching these six birds over the last month and a bit has rekindled my respect and admiration for this majestic species. Although the chicks are roaming further as they mature, all six - Peter, Henderson, Joseph, Chedoke, Madame X and Surge - can still be seen quite often around the King and Bay area.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Lead and Senior monitors as well as all of the Falconwatch volunteers for their dedicated devotion to seeing that these chicks have the best chance of survival. Without you Falconwatch would not happen! Thanks to your efforts four more Peregrines are soaring through the skies.

We will continue to keep the camera showing the nest for little while longer. Occasionally one of the Peregrines will return to the ledge.

chico2
July 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thank's Winston,I can just picture them soaring in the sky,great outcome for all of them:thumbs up