Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A tribute to the victims of Black Friday

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
This blog pays tribute to the dogs that were euthanized on March 26th at the THS :yell::yell::yell:

http://animalfarm-selkie.blogspot.com/2010/03/our-beauties-courtesy-of-freds.html

14+kitties
March 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Very nice tribute. :cry: But...... you know what I'm gonna say...... there were a much larger number of cats put down that same day. Where is their tribute?:(
To all of the angels now at the bridge, be it dog or cat, may you all be enjoying your freedom. :candle::angel2::candle:

Love4himies
March 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
You are so right, 14+.

I am at my desk and I can't stop crying.

Love4himies
March 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Chris, I started to read the tributes, but I can't right now. :( My stomach is just sick.

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Very nice tribute. :cry: But...... you know what I'm gonna say...... there were a much larger number of cats put down that same day. Where is their tribute?:(

I can't answer that 14k......what I have read on-line from different sources is that the number of Cats was 31 and not 19 as officially announced :(

BenMax
March 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I don't even know what to say...:(

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
This apparently was the criteria used for deciding their fate:

1. An in-house SAFER test was performed an all the dogs.

2. A number of rescue groups were approached to assess the dogs, with their own tests.

3. A “scorecard system”, developed by veterinarians was used to assess health, pain, suffering, temperament and many other parameters.

4. Independent consultants were asked to evaluate the dogs, based on their current condition.

5. Once all this data was collated, a panel of 8 persons, comprising veterinarians, representatives of the OSPCA and the THS, met to decide on their outcomes.

6. This meeting was scheduled to take place on Thursday, April 1, 2010. Due to a number of concerns around safety of employees, volunteers and the animals themselves, this meeting was moved to Friday, March 26, 2010, as a matter of urgency.

A few weeks ago these dogs got the green light to leave the THS and continue their journey...........Somebody obviously changed their mind :frustrated:.....a meeting was to be held on April 1st, but for some reason was upped without informing many people...........Ewww, what's that smell

Frenchy
March 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ewww, what's that smell

no ***** hey ? :rolleyes: Dogs are good and then suddenly , they're all aggressive ? :confused: :cool:

BenMax
March 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM
no ***** hey ? :rolleyes: Dogs are good and then suddenly , they're all aggressive ? :confused: :cool:

That does happen..but not for the ones that have been in a shelter for the time they spent. I never heard of that before...and it's been 15 years since I have been doing what I do...:shrug:

Chris21711
March 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
From what I read early on in this fiasco, the Dogs in question were put through such a barrage of tests that even it would be pushing the limit with the most passive dogs in the world......they were more than thorough and they all passed. Now all of a sudden they don't............Ewww, what's that smell.

BenMax
March 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
From what I read early on in this fiasco, the Dogs in question were put through such a barrage of tests that even it would be pushing the limit with the most passive dogs in the world......they were more than thorough and they all passed. Now all of a sudden they don't............Ewww, what's that smell.

You bet - they set them up for failure. I guess they want to be able to live with themselves...

You are right - the whole thing is very stinky.

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
This is sickening. Please don't mistake me I am sick at heart for these dogs and all the others who have gone before them but I am sickened by this blatant breach of donor faith.

We trust them do the morally right thing because that, I hope, is why they do the work they do. We trust them to do the intelligent thing because that is what they are paid to do. And we trust them to do their work honestly and with integrity because that is what they have been charged to do in doing this work.

I see none of that here and it sickens me that animals have to pay with their lives because some "Suit" decided that politics, not animal welfare, is the important work.

:rip: OSPCA and THS

Love4himies
March 30th, 2010, 07:07 AM
This is sickening. Please don't mistake me I am sick at heart for these dogs and all the others who have gone before them but I am sickened by this blatant breach of donor faith.

We trust them do the morally right thing because that, I hope, is why they do the work they do. We trust them to do the intelligent thing because that is what they are paid to do. And we trust them to do their work honestly and with integrity because that is what they have been charged to do in doing this work.

I see none of that here and it sickens me that animals have to pay with their lives because some "Suit" decided that politics, not animal welfare, is the important work.

So well said.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Amen to this.

Chris21711
March 31st, 2010, 11:37 AM
This an an email from Ador-a-Bull....they were one of the agencies involved in the assessment of the five Pitties.......

Here is ADR's response and statement;

** We have received several emails regarding this inflammatory post, by a heavy handed "trainer", throughout the day with requests for information, opinion, etc. We aren’t looking to argue, upset anyone or cause trouble. This is our opinion based on our experience and knowledge from “behind the scenes”, which may just be a little closer to the truth than some of those based on nothing but hearsay and emotion. See below for original email.

Rescues, yes plural, including ADR, were brought in to assess the dogs that were humanely euthanized. These dogs failed assessment on a number of levels. We are not talking merely food aggression either. We are talking dogs that would turn and snap at you, growl and challenge you for simply trying to pet them. We spent and entire day at the THS. We met and assessed these dogs and it was incredibly sad how far gone/disconnected they were.

Several outside agencies deemed these dogs unfit for rescue as well. One unknown rescue, in BSL stricken Ohio, agreed to take the dog’s sight unseen. Not a responsible decision, and we’re glad the THS/OSPCA didn’t go that route.

Who has the means to rehabilitate these kinds of severe issues? DogTown is lovely, but not realistic. The THS is far from a sanctuary and independent rescue can’t take on that type of burden for liability reasons at best.

Nobody likes seeing dogs be humanely euthanized, but sometimes it’s the last kindness you can give them. This is about the reputation of the breed, but more importantly responsible ownership and public safety. These were not safe dogs; several had at least one prior bite incident (which is a DOLA infraction in itself).

As a responsible rescue you would not be getting a dog like this from us. We could not keep our volunteers if we “rescued” high strung, super anxious, unpredictable, dangerous dogs.

Yes, THS volunteers had walked some of these poor souls for years without incident, and we commend and respect them for their dedication to these animals. But did they ever feed them - or try to take away their - dinner? Play with them using HIGH value items? Try to look in their ears or trim their nails? Regular things dog owners need to do without being bitten?!

There are not more dogs scheduled to be humanely euthanized (that we are aware of). Whoever wrote this is beyond out of touch. What happened had nothing to do with pit bulls or BSL (which the OSPCA has publically stepped out against); a pug mix was humanely euthanized as well! Many pit bulls have been saved from the shelter since all this started, and that was, by far, the first choice for everyone involved.

With emails like this floating around, who could blame the OSPCA/THS teams for not wanting to work with rescue - individual, independent or organized - in the future.

In our humble opinion as dog lovers, rescuers, rescuers who have been to the THS and met the dogs, friends of the staff, friends of the legal team legal and friends with OSPCA agents CURRENTLY WORKING at the THS, and fighters of the good fight. What needs to be done is being done…responsibly and effectively.**

Love4himies
March 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for posting that, Chris,

Just want to say that both Puddles and Rose would fail at those tests :( I know they are cats, but they are still animals that can't say "I'm afraid of what you are going to do" and communicate in the way they know how.

Does anybody know of this rescue?

luckypenny
March 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM
:candle: :candle:

Chris21711
March 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Ador-a-Bull are pretty well known L4H...they spirit many Pitties out of Ontario to safe havens, but assess them first.

As we all know cats are not really tested for temperament, unless they exhibit real feral behaviour, I think it is accepted that "Cats are Cats" :D

Love4himies
March 31st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ador-a-Bull are pretty well known L4H...they spirit many Pitties out of Ontario to safe havens, but assess them first.

As we all know cats are not really tested for temperament, unless they exhibit real feral behaviour, I think it is accepted that "Cats are Cats" :D

Rose exhibited feral behaviour during her short stay at the shelter, but she is an absolute sweetheart at home.

Puddles bites horribly when I try to cut her nails (that's why she goes to the vet to be done).

Maybe I am just naive/ignorant about dogs :shrug: :o, but I guess I would just like to see them get the benefit of the doubt :( before they are PTS.

BenMax
March 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Maybe I am just naive/ignorant about dogs :shrug: :o, but I guess I would just like to see them get the benefit of the doubt :( before they are PTS.

I agree. Foster homes do this. If really there is an issue, then make that decision. So many dogs and cats show very poorly in pound/shelter environments. Once out, it's a different story all together. That goes equally for animals (mainly dogs) that show great behind bars but out in a home they can be very different.

But I agree with you 100%.

My gut tells me that there was never an intention to let these dogs go into rescues. They were doomed from the get-go.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 31st, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thank you for posting the update - tragic as it is. If only they didn't wind up in the shelter in the first place :(

Chris21711
April 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
My gut tells me that there was never an intention to let these dogs go into rescues. They were doomed from the get-go.

It appears you were right BenMax :(

http://animalfarm-selkie.blogspot.com/

BenMax
April 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
It appears you were right BenMax :(

http://animalfarm-selkie.blogspot.com/

You Know Chris...I am not sure anymore. From one thread to the other I can even see myself flipping back and forth with my take on the whole issue. I see both perspectives...but I don't know what to believe. I guess if you see it..only then can we understand or appreciate the truth.

I don't want to take anything however away from this thread. The fact remains is that these dogs belonged to someone at some point. Hopefully loved at some point by their masters. As fate would have it, they were in a shelter and I can tell loved dearly.

The fact remains is that they were euthanized. Regardless of the reason, or there lack of...they are gone. No matter what - animals have died - cats, dogs, guinea pigs and other little souls. And why? Because of humans - ignorant, obnoxious people who did not protect, love or value their pets.

I don't know what else to say, but regardless - I know I feel very very sad for all species that find themselves in shelters..all over this damn world.

Chris21711
April 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'm not even sure myself BenMax.....I do firmly believe that the THS management were to blame, if they had not handled the THS in the way it was handled, these poor souls could still be alive today.

It is just too sad for words :(:yell:

BenMax
April 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not even sure myself BenMax.....I do firmly believe that the THS management were to blame, if they had not handled the THS in the way it was handled, these poor souls could still be alive today.

It is just too sad for words :(:yell:

The blame starts with the selfish people who took in a pet without seeing them through and gave up on them. That is where it started and in the end, that is where it belongs.

APBTMomma
April 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have a question for people who are saying these dogs were set up for faliure.
If this was your breed of dog, Banned. A breed you have been fighting for 5 years for would you want dogs with poor temperments being adopted out?
these dogs were evaluated by reputable rescues and they failed.
These dogs had the potential to bite, Sure adopt them out. Just not into your neighbourhood right? Would you like a dog living as your neighbour who if was to get loose possibily to bite yourself or a child?

There are MANY dogs of this breed dying in shelters, Dogs who are AMAZING examples of this breed. These dogs were NOT good examples of the breed.

Sure these dogs might act different outside of the shelter enviorment, It is stressful in there. Too bad the world isn't full of sunshine and lollypops every day.

The owners of this breed fight for their dogs every day, And People need to understand that adopting out poor examples of this breed hurts our reputation and the long battle we have faught.

Putting out a walking headline waiting to happen is NOT worth the risk.

These dogs were NOT right in their heads from my understanding and I trust the reputable rescues words over some no kill shelter worker who doesn't fight the battle the rescues and the owners do on a daily basis.
When living in a world with BSL and as the owner of this breed, I believe dogs who do not pass assessments should be put down.
And I say this because I LOVE my breed, A True and amazing example of the breed and I would like to continue owning them.

-D

Golden Girls
April 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM

:rip: OSPCA and THS:thumbs up
:candle: dogs :candle: cats