Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't jinx it!!!!

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I know I'm superstitious (I deny it of course. Superstition isn't rational after all. :D). I put it down to genetics. I'm Irish, we can't help ourselves ~ we KNOW the evil eye is looking for us!

I confess that I am a knocker-of-wood.
I lip-lock my lottery ticket.
I "Think Good Thoughts" (right after the bad one becomes a possibility :eek:)
I hug my dog when I hear something sad
I bless myself when an ambulance goes past (shocking all my atheist sensibilities).
I toss spilt salt over my shoulder

I'm sure there are more...what are yours? (just make sure you do your special twirly-whirly-widdershins dance to unjinx your anti-jinxes :laughing:)

Melinda
March 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM
oh lord us irish are full of them aren't we?(notice I didn't say full of "it" *L*) I still get nervous if I meet a woman with a limp whenever hubs and I are on a trip (usually brings bad luck), toss salt over my shoulder if spilt, will not knock on a door more than 3 times (or the fourth calls the devil) if I find any money I thank the "little" people. I believe each 7th son has a power to cure specific things. and I panic when someone stands up and their chair falls over, if your right palm itches you'll come into money, if its your left palm you'll be parting with money

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Don't forget to kiss your toad. :p Just don't use any tongue. :o :eeew:

And avoid cracks at all cost! (Luckily we have no sidewalks here...cement, either...and precious little blacktop. :D)

Frenchy
March 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Well from now on I should shut up about everything that is going good because , every time I mention something , it goes bad again :yell:

When I drive pass someone who's having car trouble by the side of the road , I say "sorry" (in my head) ... by fear it will happen to me if I laugh at them. :o

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm superstitious too. I'm Latin, and my mother was a very catholic woman, so I have guilt and superstitions running through my veins.

I always try to have a resurrection flower (also called Jericho flower) at home. It is supposed to bring good luck. I also have a statue of a saint in my apartment in a prominent spot, and others around too.

When a bad thought goes into my head, I immediately pray that it will not come true.

BenMax
March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
For almost everything, I need to do things 3 times....well almost everything..:laughing:

Seriously - I broke out of it on my own for years..but it creeped up again. I know that this is compulsive behaviour, but my brain interprets it as superstitious...though the other half of my brain understands that it has nothing to do with it at all.

For the sake of arguement for this thread...yeh...I do things in 3's...
For the sake of arguement for this thread...yeh...I do things in 3's... LOL...

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
For almost everything, I need to do things 3 times....well almost everything..:laughing:

Seriously - I broke out of it on my own for years..but it creeped up again. I know that this is compulsive behaviour, but my brain interprets it as superstitious...though the other half of my brain understands that it has nothing to do with it at all.

For the sake of arguement for this thread...yeh...I do things in 3's... LOL...

I'm slightly OCD, I do things in 4's myself. :o

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I used to have that problem...which miraculously cleared up after I added kissing the toad to my routine. :yuck: Now I can limit myself to once... :o :laughing:

Seriously, though, I think almost everyone has something they're a little OCD about at one point in their life or other. In some people (hubby) it manifests as having to go around the block, walk back up to the house and make sure the water is really off or the door is really locked. In hazel's case....well, hazel's cases are just too numerous to go through, but suffice it to say she can keep herself busy with the best of them. :rolleyes: :D

Frenchy
March 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Seriously, though, I think almost everyone has something they're a little OCD about at one point in their life or other. In some people (hubby) it manifests as having to go around the block, walk back up to the house and make sure the water is really off or the door is really locked.

that's my "problem" too :p it takes me forever just to leave the house :o

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Between the two of us, we usually check everything at least 4 times! :laughing:

NoahGrey
March 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I also knock on wood, when going over train tracks, left your feet off the floor, don't go under ladders. I am sure there is more....

ACO22

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
OOOoooooo ~ I forgot about the train tracks one! I think I had to give that up when I started taking the subway :D Used to do it when I drove though :laughing: bit of a shocker for the passengers. :eek:

I can't step on bugs (unless they're silverfish and in the bathroom or earwigs anywhere).

If I find a penny, I have to throw it over my left shoulder.

I'm a compulsive checker as well. I also have sets of keys attached to everything and anything I might have even the slightest inkling of wearing. (I've upgraded my OCD by viewing it as thorough and well-prepared and uhhhhh...thorough. :D

Masha
March 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
not allowed to whistle in the house (no money will come/loss of money)
if you step on someone's foot gotta have that person step back (bad luck to family members)
the salt over the shoulder, knock on wood as already mentioned...

i think all these stuff was invented by someone with OCD a long time ago.(well thats my theory and i am sticking to it...)

Peepmouse
March 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Here's some of the ones I know of...

Step on a spider and it'll rain...:yuck:
Itchy nose means you'll kiss a fool...:crazy:
Of course there's also the salt over the left shoulder, the itchy palm theory (somehow I rarely have the right one itchy...darn!), and the good old, "Step on a crack, break your mother's back!"

I'm not really superstitious anymore, although I do still do the :fingerscr, and the "Touch Wood" thing...:D

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 11:29 PM
No opening an umbrella inside.

and the :fingerscr I even do my toes. :eek: In fact, I'm doing it now to unjinx the fact that I just told you. :yell: Now, I'll have to think of a way to unjinx the unjinx. :eek: Hazel knows what I mean.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
:laughing:

I'm tellin' ya--kiss a toad! :thumbs up Best unjinx of an unjinxed unjinx that there is! :p

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
:laughing:

I'm tellin' ya--kiss a toad! :thumbs up Best unjinx of an unjinxed unjinx that there is! :p

Don't laugh...okay you can laugh. I sure did. *covers mouth to hide laughter now*. One of my clients died that way. Oh yeah, it was a big "thing" for awhile ~ getting high on toad "juice" ~ the only problem was the dying afterwards part.

We so very much need one of those "Did I really just say that?" smilies dontchya think?

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
LMBO

Yes, I do believe we need one of those smilies! :laughing:

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 11:44 PM
LMBO

Yes, I do believe we need one of those smilies! :laughing:

Followed closely by her sister smilie, "Yup. I really DID just say that." :evil:

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM
:laughing: I think the one you used works pretty well for that! :thumbs up

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM
:laughing: I think the one you used works pretty well for that! :thumbs up

Nooooo. Nooo.No.No. Two distinct personas here Ms.MultiplePersonalityGal...

The first one is the dewed-eyed ingenue, who, albeit she's faking it royally, batts her best baby-blues. Kinda like Audrey meets Gracie.

The second one is the :evil: vamp. Somewhere between Lauren Bacall and Rita Hayworth with a dash of Mae West and a dollop of Kathryn Hepburn.

See? Two very different smilie girls. I may make that my 3 a.m. task.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the results tomorrow! :laughing:

:fingerscr that you're asleep at 3 a.m. and don't get the job done, though! :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 30th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I know I'm superstitious (I deny it of course. Superstition isn't rational after all. :D). I put it down to genetics. I'm Irish, we can't help ourselves ~ we KNOW the evil eye is looking for us!

No kidding! http://smileydatabase.com/s/413.gif

If I find money I keep it in my pocket for the day (find/keep a penny brings you good luck) & I thank the faeries for it

When an ambulance passes I send good wishes

TeriM
March 31st, 2010, 01:31 AM
I have a friend who is very superstitious so some of that has rubbed off on me.

Train track thing.

When walking with a friend or group you can never seperate around a pole ... everyone has to go on one side or the other. If you forget then you must walk backwards back around to the correct side.

If you put something on backwards when getting dressed you must wear it that way the entire day or else take it off totally and wear something else. I sometimes tease her about superstitions and so one time in Vegas she decided she was being silly when she put her belt on backward so fixed it and then that night she tripped coming out of a bus and sprained her ankle :o. Now we no longer tempt the fates :D.

Goldfields
March 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
I thought I was normal but I can see I've not been doing things right. I might jot down all these superstitions and start following them , just to confuse my hubby, and hopefully improve my luck. :D: laughing: Not sure I understand what will happen re the train tracks. I haven't heard that saying. I do know all about black cats, walking under ladders and not stepping on cracks though.

Chris21711
March 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM
I always do the "knock on wood" 'cept I always use my head for the wood :shrug:

If I find a penny I pass it on, I thought that was suppose to bring you luck....it hasn't so far :yell:

mummummum
April 3rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
No kidding! http://smileydatabase.com/s/413.gif

If I find money I keep it in my pocket for the day (find/keep a penny brings you good luck) & I thank the faeries for it

I'm stealing that smiley!!!!!

I throw my penny over my left shoulder for The Little Ones. I just didn't wanna say it out loud. :D. But now that I know SOMEONE understands...:laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
April 3rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
:highfive: