Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does pet insurance cover CRF?

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
It's too late to get that for my princess, I am just wondering. I wasn't sure whether to get it as a senior cat as I figured if she got CRF they would say that's natural for a cat her age and not cover it?

quincymycat
March 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM
It depends on how old your cat is when you apply for coverage as the premiums and deductible could be so high that they may be prohibitive for coverage. The insurance company will also be contacting your vet prior to confirming coverage to determine the frequency and reason for any visits to the vet for kitty.
I agree with oet insurance as it has helped me in the past and still is with a kitty with chronic problems, but as a rule, the less risk the insurance company has to take the lower the premiums,deductible and co-pay. I was told when arguing with a supervisor once that pet insurance is a "property insurance" NOT a "health insurance". Needless to say I objected loudly and since this is NOT the image they wish to present, was given an apology for the use of the phrase, but in reality, this, like any kind of insurance, isthere to make money and will attempt to minimize their expenses.

quincymycat
March 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Oh, and also specific to your query about CRF it depends on the level of coverage you select at the time of coverage. This is the way Petsecure works, there is another insurer and I am not too sure how they work, buy I believe all levels with the exception of very minimal accident coverage will cover up to the maximum per year and then on renewal you would pay another deductible andcosts for that particular illness will again be paid up to the maximum again.

hazelrunpack
March 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
It might also depend upon the insurance company you choose, Mia. Ask a lot of questions and read the fine print to make the best choice. :thumbs up

Mia101
March 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
She had healthy bloodwork up to age 17, so I could have gotten coverage up to that point.

I'm just wondering if it would have done me any good. I didn't know at the time CRF was the most common killer of cats so I wouldn't have known to ask.

There's a list of exclusions and I was thinking like I said that CRF might be considered 'natural causes' or something when occurring at age 17.

growler~GateKeeper
March 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Ask your insurance provider.