Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is my pup being vindictive?

CChorley
March 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone,
i have a 9 month old chinese crested powderpuff who has started to pee in my house again. my husband and i have had her for about 3 months now, when we first got her she was almost fully house trainned. and lately she has started peeing in my front hall. we have tried the nature's miracle cleaner on the floor to try and get rid of the smell of urine but that didn't help so we tried baby gates to keep her in the living room when we are in it so we can watch her at all times, except the other day when we were getting ready to go to bed we let her out, she laid in the mud so we brought her back inside i had to get our sons bag ready for the next day which took 5 minutes and when i went to go up stairs there was a puddle of pee at the bottom of my stairs.
this is really driving us crazy please help.

TeriM
March 29th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I think you need to go back to potty training basics for a few weeks. Possibly she got scared while peeing outside or something else has set off this reaction. I would recommend using umbilical training (tie dog to you with leash) for the next week or so that you can be sure to interupt any peeing episodes. If you cannot be watching her then she should be crated. No freedoms to make any mistakes.

Add that to going outside with her for the potty breaks and making a big fuss when she pees outside (and consider adding a go potty command when she pees which can help speed the process along in future). You can use treats to reward or just do a big happy dance and short play.

She will catch on in no time again. Just be consistant :thumbs up. Dogs are not ever vindictive. That is a human emotion.

Also, if she seems to be peeing way more then usual consider if it is a health problem such as a urinary infection which might require veterinary care.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

mummummum
March 29th, 2010, 05:07 AM
:sorry::offtopic: .. I would recommend using umbilical training (tie dog to you with leash).

THANK You TeriM ~ do you know how long I've been racking my :wall: brain for that phrase!