Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advice on a new cell phone plz!

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I think I just bricked my current cell phone, the HTC S710. I was having problems where it would shut off by itself even at full or half battery power and when I turned it back on and I lost some recent sent and received text messages. So I went to the HTC website to try a software update and it updated fine, until I changed the language, location, and time format it said I had to turn off the phone for this change to take effect. And now it won't turn on. Contacted support and they said that the software I got from the website wasn't meant for my phone (wtf? why was it listed under my phone then???) and that it may have to be sent in for repair.

So either I send this phone in for repair that has been giving me problems since October or I get a new phone. Advice from anyone who has sent their phone in for repair to the manufacturer would be greatly appreciated and roughly how much it was plz!

Or I use my upgrade through Rogers and get a new phone under $50 with a 3-yr renewal (doesn't really bother me cuz when I can afford more I just go to eBay and get a different phone cheaper). Or I just go to eBay in the first place. See my dilema? :laughing:

I prefer these options:

-slide out keyboard (QWERTY)
-NO touchscreen!
-# keypad on the front (below the screen)
-WiFi
-bluetooth
-at least 2MP camera
-video capabilities
-customize/make my own ringtones is a must! (but if i go through Rogers and get a newer phone I don't think you can do this unless it is unlocked, please correct me if I'm wrong!)
-microSD slot
-vibrate alert
-USB connection

Also, if anyone can suggest a phone that has all this, can you tell me what the support is like? i.e. software updates due to software malfunctions, etc

I prolly will be spending the day comparing phones and then updating this thread asking about phones I've found, so feedback would be greatly appreciated! :) :thumbs up

Mods: wasn't sure if this should be in off-topic or off-topic\tech talk, plz move accordingly :)

LavenderRott
March 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I don't have a slide out keyboard but I just LOVE my new Blackberry Curve. I used an older Blackberry for a bit - with the flip front and the little rolley ball thing and I absolutely hated it. Oh - the new phone is purple!!

We changed cell companies and now everytime someone calls, a Queen song plays (what do you want from me - I am an old lady!) and I just love it.

Good luck finding the right phone for you.

aslan
March 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
dollface if the phone is fairly new then it is still under warranty,,tell Rogers you want it replaced free of charge with the same or similar phone..period.. I have had a phone repaired by them,,takes a couple weeks,,so they give you a loaner that everyone and their uncle has used. then ended up having to replace the phone anyway.

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM
LavenderRott: I was just coming to ask about the Blackberry Curve 8520 and in lavender! :laughing: I can get this one from Rogers for $30 on a 3 yr term, and although there's no slideout keyboard, how hard is it to type a quick msg without looking at the phone? :o lol or will I just learn this from getting used to the phone?

So with these new round of questions, BB users please feel free to sway me over to the dark side :laughing:

aslan: I didn't purchase the phone from Rogers, actually bought it off eBay 2 years ago, and even though HTC tech support told me to go to my carrier to try to get them to re-flash the ROM, I don't even know if they can if they never sold the phone. :confused:

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I just talked to my step-mom who works at Rogers and she confirmed my suspicions; that if they never sold the phone they can't reflash the ROM and I would just have to send it to HTC for repair.

She's also gonna look at my account and see which phones I can get under an upgrade.

BB question: what is the lowest amount you guys pay on your monthly bill if you don't mind me asking?

LavenderRott
March 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Back to the "I am old" statement - I am sure that a young whippersnapper like yourself will get used to the keyboard in no time. :D I don't text very often, never when my vehicle is in motion (though I have been known to update my fb status at a long red light) and never in the dark. I also have to put on my reading glasses to see what I am doing. But that doesn't make much difference - I have to put on my reading glasses for just about everything anymore. :(

free
March 28th, 2010, 12:11 PM
my daughter renewed her contract in the summer with rogers for 50.excluding tax she negotiated a 150 mi local 100 long distant call waiting forwarding display 1000 text 500 mega bytes data.
she went to all the carriers than called rogers retention and said this is what i want and how much i want to pay for the bb take it or leave it. they gave her what she wanted.

aslan
March 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
i'm with Telus,,not a fan but Rogers ticked me off.. i pay $40 a month for 350 minutes plus another 50 minutes ( no idea why they don't just say 400). plus unlimited evenings and weekends..i have call display and call waiting and answering service,,another $10 for unlimited texting.

so i total about $50. a month but i use mine for business.

LavenderRott
March 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm in the U.S. so we have different companies. I pay about $130 a month for two lines with free mobile to mobile and weekends, unlimited text/photo messenging and unlimited web. We share 1500 minutes a month (the lowest amount in a 2 line package) but the only calls that eat into that are landlines and I don't call many landlines.

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Back to the "I am old" statement - I am sure that a young whippersnapper like yourself will get used to the keyboard in no time. :D I don't text very often, never when my vehicle is in motion (though I have been known to update my fb status at a long red light) and never in the dark. I also have to put on my reading glasses to see what I am doing. But that doesn't make much difference - I have to put on my reading glasses for just about everything anymore. :(

Awwww! You're soo cute!

Yes, with any phone, you get used to it as I'm sure I will too, sometimes it's just soo time consuming lol with my htc s710 I only used the keyboard for really long msgs and when I can concentrate on what I'm writing. So I guess a slide-out keyboard and a BB won't really make a difference.

my daughter renewed her contract in the summer with rogers for 50.excluding tax she negotiated a 150 mi local 100 long distant call waiting forwarding display 1000 text 500 mega bytes data.
she went to all the carriers than called rogers retention and said this is what i want and how much i want to pay for the bb take it or leave it. they gave her what she wanted.

Hmm so she was able to get that through customer service? I think I've heard of ppl getting what they want that way but depends on the person you get or something like that. I have been with Rogers since 2002 or 2003, first as a pay as you go customer, and then in 2004 I switched to monthly, and have been ever since. Maybe my loyalty will help in this case...

i'm with Telus,,not a fan but Rogers ticked me off.. i pay $40 a month for 350 minutes plus another 50 minutes ( no idea why they don't just say 400). plus unlimited evenings and weekends..i have call display and call waiting and answering service,,another $10 for unlimited texting.

so i total about $50. a month but i use mine for business.

I've looked at Telus, Koodo, Fido, etc. I like Telus b/c of the phones they have to offer, but I get mixed reviews from everyone. My step-sister switched to Telus for the phones, but still has problems. My step-mom was pretty ticked off at her lol. I would switch carriers if I could, but they check credit scores so I think those ships have sailed unless I can get a decent phone with the options I like on pay as you go. That's why I feel my only options are to upgrade with Rogers, bite the bullet and send it to HTC and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or go to eBay and get an unlocked phone. Also hoping my income tax return comes soon, so I can actually have access to a phone again.

Life...one thing after another! :o

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I love my BB :lovestruck:. The email function is amazing. I have the pearl currently but next month I am upgrading to either the curve or bold. I had the htc before this with the slide keyboard but really was not a fan so when the screen pooched on me I bought the BB. Blackberry messenger is also amazing if you know other people with Blackberrys.

I am somewhat tempted by the IPhone but I use the BB mostly for business so will likely stick with it. My plan is with telus and I pay around $50 per month depending on texts and long distance.

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks TeriM! Great Review/persuasion! lol :thumbs up

Hopefully I can get a deal cuz I've already grown tired with my pink razr I have to use until I get something else.

I know ppl who have the iphone and they got bored of it and went to a BB. They said the iphone can get really expensive and although there is an app for everything it prolly bogs down the phone, and I don't like the fact that if your battery ever needs replacing you have to send it to Apple and how long are you without the phone? And how much will that cost? etc. Just doesn't really seem like it's worth it to me.

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Yes, I know two friends who got the iphone and loved it until the novelty wore off and then went back tho the bb :shrug:.

Your thread got me researching again and now I think I have definately decided on the BB Bold as they said the keyboard is much nicer then that on the curve.

dollface
March 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Can you make your own mp3 ringtones on a BB? Like say you download a song on your computer and then transfer it via usb to your BB and set it as your ringtone?

My htc can do this, but now a lot of carriers have this feature blocked and you have to buy the ringers, which is fair, but what if you have had a certain text msg alert for a few years and you can't put it on your new phone cuz they don't have it in their database to buy?

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, I can use any of my songs in my music library as sound rings for phone numbers :thumbs up.

Didn't actually know that until you asked and then I tried it :o :D.

dollface
March 29th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks!! That is great then! :D

My upgrade isn't until July 21st so I think I will have to wait til then, as long as the price stays the same @ $30 or goes lower I can live with my razr til then.

This will probably be the cheapest route to go and only 4 more months to go.

If anyone wants a nice htc s710 paperweight, let me know :laughing: