Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peeing problem --- NEED advice and help so badly.

zbrindle
March 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone, my problem is that my female, 8 month old boxer continues to pee in the house. Here are the details to my problem.
I live with my gf in an apartment on the fourth floor. My pup is a good girl; shes obedient to commands and such, and she does pee outside for the most part. I have taught her that she is allowed to pee on a small carpet on the balcony, or, she is allowed to pee outside like a normal dog. She knows that peeing inside the house is bad, and when she does it, she puts her ears back and runs away. I have tried constantly to reward her with treats everytime she pees outside. I have had her sit at the front door before she goes out. Now i need help. A major concern for me is this, she is not a very vocal dog; however, she understands that she poops outside, and when she needs to poop, she will go to the front door and wine, or come up to me and wine until i take her outside so she can do her business. But she doesnt combine this behaviour with her peeing. I take her outside multiple times a day and she is able to hold her pee for 10 hours as she does so over night.
Also, she will pee any and everywhere (carpet, couch, floor right beside us, bathroom, bedroom, it doesnt matter to her).

I really need to figure this out. I dont know why she does it, or why she doesnt associate outside with peeing.

Will she get better as she gets older, or is that just a hopeless idea?
Am I doing something wrong --- cuz i will change everything i can in order to help her...

punishment: when i catch her peeing inside, I put her in her cage and shes not allowed out. Is my punishment incorrect? too harsh? ineffective??

please note: she is not fixed yet; but im not sure if this could be part of the reason.

PLEASE HELP...
I wish Cesar Milan would come over!!!!

Dee-O-Gee
March 28th, 2010, 12:04 AM
8 months is still young and she's still in the learning curve although it sounds like she's on the right track with the poop routine. :thumbs up

What you don't want to do is associate her bad pee behaviour with the crate. This will give negative vibes which may lead to fear of going into the comfort zone of her crate.

Also sounds like your doing the right thing as well. Just be patient but persisent! :thumbs up :highfive:

DoubleRR
March 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If the carpet on the balcony is too similar to indoor flooring, it won't help. :) Perhaps one of the fake grass dog potty systems they sell would be better?

Other than that, I would recommend umbilical training for a solid month at least---tie her to your waist whenever you can--the rest of the time she is tethered beside you or in her crate. That way, she will become restless and sniffing just before peeing, and you can stop her and take her outside. Loads of treats and praise every time she pees outside. No freedom indoors until this is licked.
Have you taught her a command to go pee? Use one outside until she understands to pee on command--and then gets lots of positive reinforcement. She might surprise you and start whining to go out to pee and get a treat, if they are yummy enough!

TeriM
March 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
If the carpet on the balcony is too similar to indoor flooring, it won't help. :) Perhaps one of the fake grass dog potty systems they sell would be better?

Other than that, I would recommend umbilical training for a solid month at least---tie her to your waist whenever you can--the rest of the time she is tethered beside you or in her crate. That way, she will become restless and sniffing just before peeing, and you can stop her and take her outside. Loads of treats and praise every time she pees outside. No freedom indoors until this is licked.
Have you taught her a command to go pee? Use one outside until she understands to pee on command--and then gets lots of positive reinforcement. She might surprise you and start whining to go out to pee and get a treat, if they are yummy enough!

Great advice here :thumbs up. I would also question how often she is going? If she pees a lot then possibly she has a Urinary Track Infection (very common in younger dogs) and that is the issue. I would consider having a vet check her out.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

zbrindle
March 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. These are my plans of attack. I am going to reward her and praise her everytime she pees outside, and attempt to take her outside before she pees in the house.
She knows the command for going pee, which is that i tell her "go pee" and she knows to go pee. When i put her on the balcony and say "go pee" she knows to run to the small carpet, squat and pee. I immediately reward her with a treat. When i take her outside for her daily walks, i let her smell the treat and then i take her outside and give it to her immediately after she pees. I am going to continue to do as I am and hope she will soon understand to whine to go outside like she already does to go pee.

I am going to change her punishment for peeing in the house to sitting and staying at the front door for a prolonged period of time.

She doesnt pee often and it doesnt seem to be an internal problem. The problem resides in the fact that she doesnt give us a sign that says "hey, i need to pee"; she just pees (or i am missing the sign that she is giving me, so im going to try to remember what she does before she pees in the house next time)

Another confusing thing that I have with her is that when we had her over at my mother-in-laws house, she would wine at the backdoor to go outside, and she would always pee outside. So im confused as to why she doesnt associate that behaviour with home behaviour. oh well, she'll get it eventually..... i hope.

Any other ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated

luckypenny
March 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Umbilical training while you are indoors, as DoubleRR mentioned, is a fail-proof way to prevent your dog from peeing inside. You can't miss the warnings that she needs to go if you're supervising her.

I don't believe that you should punish a dog for peeing indoors, especially after the fact. Dogs don't reason the way humans do. If anything, punishment will have your dog associate either the object (in this case, pee) or the action (her peeing) with you getting upset, not with her peeing inside. I can bet you she may very well start to find a hiding spot to pee inside where you are not present and may even hesitate to pee when you do take her out.

I think having two places to pee ie carpet on balcony and outside on walks may be confusing her. Is it possible you stick to one or the other until she learns not to pee inside? You'd have to take her out 4-5 times a day, not so difficult :shrug:. You can hang bells by your front door and ring them every time you leave by that door when you take her to eliminate. If she, by accident, ever brushes by the bells, or noses them, grab her leash and take her outside asap. She'll learn to associate ringing the bells with you taking her outside. A much better alternative to waiting for her to whine.

Longblades
March 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Re. the carpet on the balcony. Some dogs like to use a fresh clean place to bathroom. That might be why she is going all over your apt. Peepads might help. Replace the pad after each pee so there is always a clean one down.

I do agree that she may be confused as to whether she should pee outside or inside if you use two places so you will have to weigh the option above out.

Your MIL's place may not have the scent of pee in it so she doesn't go there. I know this sounds like it contradicts what I put above but it could be. Are you using an enzymatic cleaner to clean up her mistake spots in your place?

Another trick to try is putting her food and water bowls where she last peed. After thoroughly cleaning the spot. Most dogs will not eliminate where they eat or drink. You could put her toys there too.

Punishment is not condoned for mistakes in the house and I think your idea is particularly bad. You want her to go out the door to pee, not associate it with doing something wrong. I think that idea could really backfire on you.

You have Vetted her, right? To see if there is a medical problem? Holding on overnight does not mean she should hold on all day too. You don't. :) How long is she left alone in the apt.? Does the pee happen when you are away? Are you crating her? I am not a fan of crates as I see them missused to try to force a dog to hold on too long but proper use might help.

The signs she needs to go out can be very subtle. I swear my dogs think I have ESP and they can communicate with me by just thinking about a pee. I'm not as receptive as they think and I have to really watch them when they are young and learning. Sometimes the sign is no more than a mere glance at the door.

Good luck. Ihope you post back with reports of success.