Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Probiotic for cat

kasey&roxie
March 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a probiotic for my cat Roxie. Our local Global Pet store carries a brand called Omega Alpha Probiotic 8 Plus. Does anyone know of this brand or can recommend a brand that they have found to be effective?

Thank you for your help..

Karen

Winston
March 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I use this one for our dog but it should be good for cats too! You can get this one at your local stores. Pet Valu, Global..

Good Luck

http://www.eaglepack.com/SP_DigestiveAids.html

sugarcatmom
March 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
No need to buy a specific pet product (which usually costs more and isn't as potent), you can just get a human one from a health food store. I like Natural Factors Ultimate Multi (http://www.naturesnutrition.com/SKU/31847.htm), and because it has 12 billion active organisms, you only need to give a small pinch (like 1/6th of a capsule) twice a day.

kungfuMao
March 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM
oooooo thanks for the suggestion scm :)

my poor mukmuk has been on antibiotics so frequently during the short time we've had him so far. i'm thinking a bit of probiotics on a daily basis would help his poor intestines.

scm, the one you recommended is a multi-probiotic... if i cannot find a multi one, would something like this (http://well.ca/products/jamieson-probiotic_23219.html) be beneficial?

thanks for this thread. very timely... :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
March 26th, 2010, 08:25 PM
scm, the one you recommended is a multi-probiotic... if i cannot find a multi one, would something like this (http://well.ca/products/jamieson-probiotic_23219.html) be beneficial?

It might be fine, but I personally prefer one with several different strains of micro-organisms. Since it isn't really known what types are common to the cat digestive system, it makes sense to provide a variety to CYA. Although in a pinch, the single source probiotic is certainly better than nothing.

kasey&roxie
March 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Sugarcatmom, I did find the Natural Factor Multi when I was searching online. Is it available in health food stores or do you order direct from the seller?

My vet also suggested the Purina Fortiflora, but I beleive it is only one organism. They said they had success with it but had one cat that got raging diarrhea from it.

Thanks for the information..

Karen

sugarcatmom
March 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Sugarcatmom, I did find the Natural Factor Multi when I was searching online. Is it available in health food stores or do you order direct from the seller?

I can find it in health food stores here, but your availability may vary.

My vet also suggested the Purina Fortiflora, but I beleive it is only one organism. They said they had success with it but had one cat that got raging diarrhea from it.

It does only have one organism (Enterococcus faecium) and it's not very potent (in the millions as opposed to billions). Plus it contains some unnecessary ingredients like animal digest. But I have heard that many cats really like the taste of it, so for that reason it's not the worst option.

kungfuMao
March 27th, 2010, 01:48 AM
:thumbs up Thanks so much (again)! :cat:

Awesome! Will be on the look-out tomorrow.

growler~GateKeeper
March 27th, 2010, 02:35 AM
kungfuMao Choices carries the Natural Factors Ultimate Multi

kasey&roxie
March 27th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I thought I would try the Alpha Omega since I had it here. It looks like smaller flaked fish food and has a strong smell. It says to use a half a scoop that they supply and half a scoop is probably a little more than 1/2 a teaspoon.

I mixed it in with Wellness Chicken wet and the whole lot turned green and dry. I added water to make it soupy. Roxie sniffed it and walked away. I wouldn't eat it either. :yuck:

As soon as I saw it I was sceptical she would eat it.

I have e-mailed the company that makes the Natural Factor to see if it available in my area and I will be looking for some as well when I am out. I will order it online if I can't find it.

Thank you for the information.

Karen

kungfuMao
March 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
kungfuMao Choices carries the Natural Factors Ultimate Multi

Thanks :) There is one not even 10 minutes from me. :highfive:

kungfuMao
March 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I got some multi probiotics today for the kittens. It has 8 strains! Not the most, but the health food store I stopped at didn't carry the one scm recommended.

Do I just open the capsule and mix a bit in their wet food? Thanks... :o

growler~GateKeeper
March 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I got some multi probiotics today for the kittens. It has 8 strains! Not the most, but the health food store I stopped at didn't carry the one scm recommended.

Do I just open the capsule and mix a bit in their wet food? Thanks... :o

Yup about 1/6th capsule twice a day mixed into the canned, if you open the capsule slowly without breaking it you can recap it to use the rest later :)

kasey&roxie
March 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM
:thumbs up Found some of the Natural Factors Ultimate Multi Probiotic at an S & H Health Food store about 1/2 hour from me. Am going to pick some up tonight..

Thanks again..

Karen