Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this safe for puppy to do?

Mirela
March 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
My 9 weeks puppy likes to "dig" the ground with his nose when we're outside. Should I let him do that or not?
I have no ideea what's so interesting for him but obviously there's a delicious smell around. I do check the grass beforehand and make sure there's no animal droppings or other "stuff" that can be dangerous for him but obviously if it's something in the groud I can't see.
He's not eating anything as far as I can tell, just nosing the grass away, sniffling and burying his nose in the dirt.

What do you think?

LavenderRott
March 26th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I think you should buy a book on tracking and teach your pup to track!!

Mirela
March 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I think you should buy a book on tracking and teach your pup to track!!

:thumbs up Will do that just after he masters more than "sit". He does show aptitudes and does have a good nose - he's already is able to locate a dirty sock in 10 seconds flat :laughing:

But, seriously, he just has the first set of vaccines (the first booster comes in three weeks), could he pick up something nasty from the soil?

LavenderRott
March 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
If you are keeping him on "home" soil and haven't had any sick dogs in your yard for a year or so, you should be fine. Especially since he isn't eating the soil.

BenMax
March 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
:thumbs up Will do that just after he masters more than "sit". He does show aptitudes and does have a good nose - he's already is able to locate a dirty sock in 10 seconds flat :laughing:

But, seriously, he just has the first set of vaccines (the first booster comes in three weeks), could he pick up something nasty from the soil?

He can pick up something from soiled soil that have been soiled by other dogs...(I know - too much soil..). Does what I said makes sense?

Mirela
March 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, it does, especially seeing as my yard is not fenced...that's why I worry. I'll have to keep distracting him, otherwise he would be restricted to hard sidewalks and roads which is not ideal either... or the deck - too boring...
Whew, the "joys" :rolleyes: of puppyhood.

But then I look at him and it's more than worth it :)

mummummum
March 26th, 2010, 01:45 PM
First of all...
You should have posted a warning. :frustrated:

:DCUTE PUPPY ALERT! CUTE PUPPY ALERT!!:D

Putting the disease-issue (PARVO ! :eek:) to one side...any thoughts as to why he does this? Is it compulsive about it as in, just won't STOP doing it? Are squirrels and other wildlife burying things in your back yard?

Or is it just "his thing" ?

Marcha
March 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
What a darling!!

Perhaps you could 'track' indoors with him? Make a trail of scent by dragging a treat across the floor, then letting him follow it to 'find' the treat at the other end of the trail? Safer for him to do that indoors than outdoors just now.

I know how hard it was for us to keep our pup indoors - outdoors just seemed a much more likely place for her to enjoy herself and learn about the world. But the weeks do fly by (our Bo is now 10 months old and 86 lbs!), and it seems like your pup has a strong scent drive, so you could do stuff like that indoors. When the pup gets the hang of following the 'smeared' scent, walk a strongly scented treat from one room to another and let him pick up the airborn scent to track the treat. :)
Use a 'find' command ('seek' can be confused with 'sit', it sounds too similar) or something to get the pup familiar with the tracking action.

Once the pup can follow an airborn scent, be less elaborate about making a scent trail, and hide treats for him to find, after saying 'find'.

You can also start doing that with clothing items belonging to family members, and using their names while letting the dog smell the clothes so that the pup learns family members' names by associating the name with their scent. Could come in handy too when you want to tell the dog to 'go to [name]'.

Enjoy!