Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog is Regressing!

Elohel
March 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Hi, I am not sure if this was posted already. I have a 4 month old snorkie, who was doing GREAT with the potty training up to and until last week. For some reason he is peeing and pooping in the house now.

We can be outside for 3 hours, and he comes in, runs off out of sight and pees.

He also started humping our feet and arms in bed. Could it be related to puberty? Is he trying to test the limits?

I dont know what to do to fix this.

cassiek
March 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Is your dog neutered yet? I realize he is quite young, but as long as the testicles have dropped they will neuter. I suspect that is related to the humping you describe. :shrug:

Sorry, I don't have much expertise in this area - hopefully some other users will be along soon. :thumbs up

P.S. What is a 'snorkie'? I don't keep current on the names of all these designer breeds, but I am really curious!!

Elohel
March 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM
A snorkie is a schnauzer and yorkshire terrier mix.

He's really a sweet dog, constantly needs to be next to someone. Just recently he started humping us for 10 second "bursts" and then continues playing his favourite game, try to consume my hand hole. :)

dannyg1001
March 26th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Snorkie!

What a great name.

i would love to see a pic of your dog if possible :thumbs up

Elohel
March 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Here's the little bugger. :)

http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=3325

http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=3326

dannyg1001
March 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Great looking dog! :)

14+kitties
March 26th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi, I am not sure if this was posted already. I have a 4 month old snorkie, who was doing GREAT with the potty training up to and until last week. For some reason he is peeing and pooping in the house now.

We can be outside for 3 hours, and he comes in, runs off out of sight and pees.

He also started humping our feet and arms in bed. Could it be related to puberty? Is he trying to test the limits?

I dont know what to do to fix this.

Is he regressing or are you getting too confident with him and not paying attention to when he is telling you he needs to go out? He is still only a baby. He is looking to you for guidance. Don't expect him to be fully trained until he is consistently going to the door and telling you he needs to go out. This means you have to be paying attention to what he is doing at all times. He could be giving you signals and you could be missing them.
How are you training him? To go to the door and bark to let you know he needs out? To ring a bell hanging from the door? To scratch at the door?
You may be outside for three hours but that doesn't mean in the last hour or so he was out that he actually did anything. Do you have a specific word for him so he knows what you want him to do? Try saying "pee" when you want him to have a pee. He will associate that with bathroom time, not play time, and will know that is what you want.
I am sure with practice and lots of consistency you will soon have a well trianed puppy. :thumbs up