Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Arghh! Making me Crazy - Anyone else?

TeriM
March 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Riley and I were out for a walk today at an off leash dog area and of course someone was there with a ball chucker (one of my pet peeves) :frustrated:. Anyway, long story short he got the ball, I distracted him with the spare ball I had and then he grabbed for the ball and in the process got my finger hard enough to draw blood and a bit of swelling :yell:.

He's almost four. The amount of work that has gone into this damn :lovestruck: dog would have made Lucy the best behaved dog ever if we had done that much with her. He really is mostly a good dog and I love him to pieces but sometimes I wish that edge would just go away. He was a super easy puppy and we did all the classes and he was a star :angel:. Then he hit about 1.5 years and all heck broke loose. Not quite what we expected but it has opened up a whole world of dog training and new friends which I very much enjoy. I really wish we could get past this ball obsession, his brain just turns off although he is better then he used to be. I guess that means that by the time he is Lucy's age (14) he should be perfect :laughing:.

He is also super sensitive to my moods and emotions. Lucy is the dog that could read my mind but he is the one that feeds on whatever emotion I am feeling so I have worked hard to control my frustration or stress when working with him. That has probably been a good thing for me :D. They say we all get the dog we need and it is probably true in this case.

We have had a few relaxed weeks with not much training and that is probably a large part of it. He really is at his best when we do a lot of little bits of training (on walks, weekly class etc.). Today is just one of those days when I wish he was one of those laid back type labs.

Anyone else have those moments when the dog drives you crazy?

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I have moments when all 8 are doing a pretty good job at once :rolleyes:

But my biggest pet peeve is when Grace and Cass coordinate their pooping so they can eat the one I'm not picking up :frustrated: :yell: :laughing:

Today is just one of those days when I wish he was one of those laid back type labs.

Oh, and this animal? It just doesn't exist, does it? :eek: A laid-back lab?!? :p Nah... No such animal! :laughing:

I hope your finger is better soon! :goodvibes:

TeriM
March 25th, 2010, 12:13 AM
But my biggest pet peeve is when Grace and Cass coordinate their pooping so they can eat the one I'm not picking up :frustrated: :yell: :laughing:

Ewwwww :yuck:.

Oh, and this animal? It just doesn't exist, does it? :eek: A laid-back lab?!? :p Nah... No such animal! :laughing:

Yep, I'm sure they exist ..... I've seen them :D.

Although I'm thinking if someone happened to catch Riley at the right time they would think he was a laid back lab. Especially in the morning .... he is just like me and very lazy in the morning :D.

hazelrunpack
March 25th, 2010, 12:19 AM
The only laid-back labbies I've ever seen were 15 years old :laughing: