Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking while I'm eating

Milopoo
March 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

I have a 7mo. cockapoo who barks while me and wife are having supper. this He'll continue this until we feed him our food. At first we thought he was hungry but he still does it even if theres food in his bowl. Any suggestions as to how we can correct this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

sugarcatmom
March 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi all,

I have a 7mo. cockapoo who barks while me and wife are having supper. this He'll continue this until we feed him our food. At first we thought he was hungry but he still does it even if theres food in his bowl. Any suggestions as to how we can correct this behaviour?

Boy, he sure has you guys trained! To stop the barking, you're going to have to stop rewarding him for it. In the future (and you and your wife must both be absolutely 100% on board with this), don't give him any food or attention whatsoever when he barks. Eventually this behaviour will extinguish itself. But don't ever give in and slip him just a little morsel or you'll reinforce it to be stronger than ever.

Sib.HuskyMom
March 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Sugarcatmom is right. By giving in and sharing your dinner, you're actually rewarding and encouraging his behaviour.
The key is to stop cold turkey and don't give in AT ALL. The barking may get worse for a few days before it gets better (like a child throwing a temper tantrum), but he'll get the message quick and it should stop all together.

Just ignore him completely during meal time and don't make eye contact. He'll catch on soon enough. :thumbs up

Longblades
March 24th, 2010, 08:34 PM
When does he get his supper? There is a commonly held idea in dog training that the people should eat first. Not all trainers agree and I for one think it's nuts to torture my dog and myself by me eating first. I was taught that good animal husbandry has one taking care of the animals before oneself and that includes feeding. From a practical standpoint it means I get to eat in peace.

My pup was not even allowed in the same room while we ate. I hate animal begging, even if all it is is beseeching eyes. Plus I can't trust the OH not to give in. :( Mine are banished to a different room. That might help you, worth a try?

I agree with the others. Since you did give in and feed him I bet the barking will increase for a time. There is a saying, it takes one week to make a habit and three weeks to break a habit. My dental hygienist says this about flossing but you get the idea, prepare for more barking, possibly, than you are getting now.

Stinkycat
March 24th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Do not feed him! When he barks, ignore him. If he then starts to touch you to get your attention, place him farther away and say "no begging" (this is what we use for our puppy). She gets the hint when she is put farther away from us.

dannyg1001
March 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Casey will go crazy for whatever im having... even if its just a glass of water!

I just ignore her, or if im eating a meal she goes in her crate until im done. She used to cry, but after a week of ignoring it she got the message she has to wait until im finished.

I read on here that you should never ever 'give in' and feed your puppy what you are eating or they will think that they are being rewarded for begging so will do it even more!

Milopoo
March 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the advice all.