Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"Old Thread" Pop-Up

mummummum
March 23rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
I've noticed over the years that many folks (particularly newbies) who have used the "search" function (which us a GREAT tool!) quite often reply to old threads rather than start their own. In the "Health" forum this can have specific consequences (their questions, problems are overlooked or may not be appropriate to the thread itself).

As such, I wonder if an (forgive my non-tech talk) automated pop-up query/ sticky could be used in cases where a reply is made to a thread which has been inactive for more than say, six months. This could read along the lines of "This thread has been inactive for more than six months. Would you like to start your own thread?" with a yes or no function which, if the answer is positive automatically creates a new thread, leaving the member to key in a title only.

marko
March 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hmmm interesting suggestion, not sure how easily it can be done technically but I'll look into it.

Thx - Marko

rainbow
March 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
I think it's a good suggestion as well. :thumbs up

If it's not feasible can you post something in the forum rules or a sticky or else include a blurb in the welcome to the forum letter to the newbies. :shrug:

Marcha
March 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
I'm an admin at a pretty active board (another system), and we 'archive' topics after six months. They go into a forum where topics can be searched, but not replied to. So it's a 'read only' forum. Would that be an option here?

Winston
March 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think that is a good idea Marcha! :thumbs up

Good thread MUM3!!

Dee-O-Gee
March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have to concur with all the above. Some kind of pop up question to the poster or a read only mechanism would be helpful. :lightbulb:

Great suggestions! :thumbs up

marko
March 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm an admin at a pretty active board (another system), and we 'archive' topics after six months. They go into a forum where topics can be searched, but not replied to. So it's a 'read only' forum. Would that be an option here?

Technically, I think this is MUCH easier to do. The other option would likely have needed quite a bit of custom coding...

However - what about this....instead of moving old posts to another place or "archive",
... what if all posts over 6 months are simply closed? This is identical to Marcha's suggestion except the old posts stay in their original locations.

Thoughts?

Thx!
Marko

Melinda
March 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
that sounds perfect!!

Marcha
March 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a simple and straight-forward solution Marko!

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Are we talking about posts or threads? Would the last post in a thread have to be over 6 months old before the thread is closed? I ask because there are some threads, like the nosebleed thread, that has been open for more than 6 months, but (unfortunately :() still gets frequent participation. If a thread would be closed only after 6 months of no activity, that would be good...

marko
March 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM
a good point HRP that I'm already considering. Thx!

Best case scenario, the thread closes 6 months after the last post, NOT six months after the thread is started. have to research this tho.

thx -Marko

kandy
March 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I think it's a very good idea! I've seen where some folks bring back threads that are as much as 2 or 3 years old, and then other members don't notice the date and start discussing the original thread thinking that it's current.

mikischo
March 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
There are some excellent ongoing threads that were started a long time ago and are still being used.

Growler's thread on renal failure comes to mind but there are others.

I would say that closing threads only after six months of no activity would definitely be the only way to go. My :2cents:

mummummum
April 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Whatever works!

marko
April 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I would say that closing threads only after six months of no activity would definitely be the only way to go.

I completely agree. :highfive: