-->

Missing kitty in St. Thomas

katika
March 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Name : Mello
Colour: white with a grey 'jacket' 2 distinct white spots on back
Neutered.
Not wearing collar!
Skittish, but extremely friendly, loves to talk.

Missing since: March 17th 2010

offering a REWARD for safe return of Mello

Macomom
March 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry about your kitty and thoughts/prayers for his safe return.
The cat experts will post some suggestions shortly, I am sure, but have you tried:
1. Placing his litterbox outside
2. Looking around dawn and dusk, some cats are too shy to come out during the day if they are scared
3. Placing really smelly food, like tuna or sardines outside for him

katika
March 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
We live in an apartment building. he pulled aside the screen door last week during the night and jumped the 12ft down from the second lvl. i tried tuna, it didnt work, i dont know how to possibly hear him as my boyfriend and i are both gone during the day. if i put the litterbox outside, my other kitty will need to use it and he may not go on the balcony after Mello's great escape. there is no way for him to get back up here. the neighbours on ground level are irritable and not friendly so i do not think i can rely on them for their eyes or to scoop my kitty for safe. it has been raining every day for the past 4 days so i have to wait to put up the paper missing posters in neighbourhoods. all replies are welcomed and thank you and bless you for reading my post!

Chris21711
March 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
When we had a stray dog come around last summer....I put the flyers in a clear plastic sleeve with the opening facing downwards, some of them are still there after 9 months, maybe you could try that.

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Oh my, what a sweetie!!:cloud9: Is Mello strictly an indoor kitty? I hope so if not wearing a collar. :fingerscr Is he microchipped or tattooed?
Some things to do:
As Macomom said - put out his litter box or at least some of his litter. He may smell it and come out of hiding if he is hiding.
Perfect times to look for your kitty is late at night - 10, 11 oclock, or very early in the morning 5ish. Take a flashlight and shine it in, under things, shrubs, etc to see if you can catch his eyes reflecting in the beam. Take along also a bag of his favourite treats to shake as you call his name.
If you have access to or can borrow/buy a live trap you can bait it with smelly foods like tuna or salmon or even his favourite canned foods. He may come out during the night and go in the trap. Cover it with an old blanket or towel to protect it from the weather in case he goes in it in the middle of the night.
Put his bed on your porch with something that smells like you or his favourite member of the house.
Put up tons of posters all around your neighbourhood, at supermarkets, gas stations, etc.
Knock on people's doors and ask them to check their garages, sheds, garbage cans, under porches/decks, anywhere where Mello may have gotten shut in by accident.
Call vets in your area and ask if they have heard anything about a cat being brought in.
Go to your Humane Society. It is very important you go there, not phone. Take along a picture of Mello. Ask to check their feral and sick rooms as well. You mentioned Mello is skittish so he may have "acted feral" when caught. In that case he would be put in that room. Check every day to see if he has been turned in.
I know you don't want to think of this but call whoever in your area is contracted to pick up dead animals off the road. They may have picked him up. :(
I may have missed something but I am sure others will be along soon. :thumbs up
Good luck. I hope you get this sweetie back. :pray:

chico2
March 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
14+,you might not have read it,but they are in an apt-building and the cat jumped 12ft off the balcony,I hope he did not get hurt and gone in to hiding somewhere:pray:

14+kitties
March 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
14+,you might not have read it,but they are in an apt-building and the cat jumped 12ft off the balcony,I hope he did not get hurt and gone in to hiding somewhere:pray:

I actually read that afterwards chico. There must still be a place where a live trap can be set up. If kitty jumped 12 ft it could be injured and gone hiding somewhere. I bet not far.
There are many things that can be done to help find kitty even if you live in an apartment. Spend some time outside looking for a start. Kitty probably isn't too far away.

RobbiesMom
March 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
I tried catnip under the posters... unfortunately my little guy wasn't 'around'... Might work for you. My thought was...he'd be sitting under his poster and someone would spot him. Hope this helps.