Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training help, please

Mirela
March 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Hi there,

My puppy is finaly here, we brought him home Saturday. He is a cutie and took to us well, I would say, and things are generally going well with potty training - no poop accidents in the house so far, (but three pees on Saturday...before we figured things out; only once yeasterday an none today - so far... -none in the crate - yay!) ) so, I think with that part is on the right track.

BUT - I don't know what to do to get him to sleep in his crate. He goes in on his own - well, with the help of "crate-only' freezed liver treats - but if I close the gate he starts panting and barking.
It's a wire crate so he can see us, and he is exausted, his head keeps looling but he won't settle. There are toys and treats in the crate - all is Ok if the gate is open but if I close it, the "fun" starts....:cry:

He sleeps OK outside the crate but ....that's not the point. Moreso, if he's outside the crate,sleeping, and I move around, he immediately jumps up and follows me so I don't think he gets a good rest like that.

So, what shoulod I try? Any ideas, please?

PS - I will post pics, today, I promise!

DoubleRR
March 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.pets.ca/index-search-results.htm?cx=014979593301980302125%3Aytnywsmalqu&cof=FORID%3A11&q=crate+training+info&sa=Search+Pets.ca#2074

Using the search at the top of the page gives you this list of the topic being thoroughly discussed on the forum often. Click on the link, and you will see what I mean.
Am sure you can read through those threads at your leisure and get the information you need. In the meantime, make certain you never let the pup out of the crate until he is quiet--or he learns that barking makes mom open the door.

Mirela
March 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, thanks, I did read through them and I know in what I have to do and what should happen - but puppy doesn't know it ;).
Oh and I did wait by the crate a few minutes for him to quiet for 5 seconds so I could let him out..... very long few minutes, those...

My main worry is that he's not getting a proper rest.

MyBirdIsEvil
March 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Don't worry about rest. He's a puppy, when he gets tired he will pass out. Try to keep him awake and tire him out during the day (though, just like a child this is sometimes hard :laughing:) so he's more likely to want to sleep when he goes in his crate.

The barking will eventually stop. I know with Walnut she really hated going in it at night and it seemed like the barking would last FOREVER, but she did eventually go to sleep. It took about a year before she completely stopped throwing fits when put in her crate.

Runner32
March 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi there,

We too have brought a new puppy home and she's exhibiting very similar behaviours as yours (not liking her crate, crying, etc). We knew there'll be some barking (she's a Norwegian Elkhound and they tend to be vocal) but have some patience and it'll pay off in the end.

Mirela
March 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your encouragements, today was sooooo much better :thumbs up
( I guess I've panicked too soon; I'm blaming it on sleep deprivation ;))
Yes, let's count the day's crate training successes:
- Leo spent 1/2 hour AWAKE in the crate, with the crate door closed, and barely wimpered even when I left the room for ~ 15 minutes. I did have to bribe him to go inside, but once there, he settled.
- after a good 1/2 hour romp outside he went inside on his own. I couldn't believe my eyes...and that time I left the crate open - I thought it's better to reward him by letting him come out as he wished.

Good luck to you too Runner :) What's her name?

Runner32
March 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM
That's good to hear, Mirela.

Our Gigi is 10 weeks old and she has her 2nd visit with the vet this week. Its only the first of her many puppy training sessions this week. We're quite excited and look forward to meeting other puppies and learning things you can't quite find in literature.

Crate training is going well. We've found by tuckering her out with exercise and play, she is happy to be given a cozy corner to lie and sleep in. Most of our mornings are still woken up by her cries and barking, but to be fair to her, she's trying to tell us that she needs to go to the bathroom and that it her feeding time (which has been on a fairly routine schedule). Gigi has a few spots in the back yard where she's been doing her business, but won't go there voluntarily yet. So far she has learned the "sit" command with 100% accuracy, and is able to fetch her toys at home almost every time. Outside is a different story as there are too many distractions.

Mirela
March 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm posting some pics of Leo in the proper forum...if you're interested ;)