Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Missie stopped eating

Shaykeija
September 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
My little terri poo has stopped eating. I took her to the vet and she is fine. Temp good, heart fine, pooper end end pee end working great.:)
I have a shih tzu that is having puppies soon and I was wondering is perhaps Missie is jealous? Missie will eat a little bit. Eggs, beef, rice in small amounts. I have had to force feed her for the past 2 days. No vomiting and she drinks well. I have tried changing her food, bowl and eating space. It's like she has lost all interest in food. She will eat her treats after a while so I know her teeth are fine.
She's healthy and happy and is still full of energy. She plays non stop. The only thing different in her personality is that she has started to carry this squeek carrot that she's had since she was a puppy, around with her all the time. I woke up with it this morning. My husband insists it's a mental problem. Any idea's or has anyone experienced this before? Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Lucky Rescue
September 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
How old is she, and how long has she actually gone without eating ANYTHING at all?

Shaykeija
September 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM
Missie just turned 2. She stopped eating for 4 days, The last time I seen her do this was when her buddy Dallas died. Dallas had colon cancer and went to the Bridge in January. That is why I got Sophie.
She ate a extra large egg tonight and some lean roast pork, rice and I forced her to eat a bit of canned and dry ( I blend the dry food into powder because she won't eat kibble) food. Her little tummy was the fullest that I have seen in days. She is so full of energy. She keeps stealing all Sophies toys and snacks. She buries them in my couch and bed LOL. Still her lack of appitite concerns me. She has good gut sounds and her temp and heart are ok. No breathing problems and no signs of infection anywhere. I had a poop sample done. my vet must think that I am nuts, but I lost 2 other dogs in 2002 and that was hard. Shayker was only 14 months old. She died from kidney failure. she was born with it.:( Akeija was a 16 year old golden retriever collie mix. So I get a little freaked when Missie stops eating. Shayker did this and that is how I found out she was dying. Missie's pee was fine. Her urine test came back negative for renal failure. Thanks for answering me.

Cactus Flower
September 2nd, 2004, 01:06 AM
PLEASE don't give your dog pork- it causes pancreatitis, especially in small dogs! You obviously didn't know that, so please don't get mad at me for telling you, or mad at yourself for feeding it to her. We all have to learn somewhere, right? And you've come to a great place to do so!

How often have you been giving her pork? This could be a part of the problem, or the problem itself.

OnlyInMyDreams
September 2nd, 2004, 02:47 AM
yes,Like cactus flower said.. pork is harmful for you pet and that may be some of the problem. No worries, i didnt know either.. had to learn the hard way.. good luck with missie!

Shaykeija
September 2nd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your help. Missie doesn't get much pork. Only a timbit here and there. That has now stopped. When I give her treats right now it is mostly chicken or beef. We don't eat much pork , only about once a month.
I am wondering if Missie can sense that Sophie is having puppies and can notice the hormone change.
Missie has become aggressive with Sophie. Flashing teeth and snarls that would make a dobi cringe. No bites just a lot of noise. Sophie comes to me to get away from her crabby sister.
I fed Missie by hand today again. Imagine the way a bird feeds her babies. Good thing Missie is good natured. She doesn't put up any fuss when I feed her this way. Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.

pvcarter
September 2nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
Most animals stop eating thier dog/cat food for three reasons.
1- they have found or been introduced another/prefferred food source (ie treats, table scarps etc)
2- illness (get to your vet immediately!)
3- stress
I have played this game with my cat for thirteen years. After every "can" of food, she will not eat dry kibble for three days. She howls, meows and wines. I don't give in and after the third day she begins to nibble on kibble. She gets canned food once a week, and the hint!!

GsdDiamond
September 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
I would say that your little Missie is probably a little stressed. Dogs have a unique ability to sense things that people can't. If a dog can detect cancerous tumors, why not the increased hormone levels in another dog?

She's probably feeling like she's not the "queen of the roost" anymore and is upset by it. She's the senior dog there and expects the "top dog" status. With a pregnant bitch around, more attention is turned away from her. Just a shot in the dark, but try a little bit of extra attention. Not pampering, or you could be causing your own problems down the road when the puppies arrive. Just a little extra cuddles, some one on one time with her.

Give it a whirl. What have you got to lose?

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Shaykeija
September 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
I think it is stress. So Sophie is going away for a while. Just until she has her puppies weaned. I am her foster mom but I will get to see her often. Missie is not used to table food and is so active. I fed her again this morning and the little fart burped in my face. So for the next few weeks Missie will be going every where with me. Just so she realizes she is well loved. i hope this brings her around. Thanks for your suggestions and yes she is one spoiled fur child lol.

Shaykeija
September 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I took Sophie back to her owners today to have her pups. Tonight Missie ate a whole dish of food on her own. Little fart is suffering from : I want to be the only doggie here syndrome. I just want to thank everyone who took the time to help.
Thanks again

Shaykeija and Missie

Bugsy
September 6th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Hi

Can someone please tell me why pork is not good for dogs...this scared me!
I always give my dogs pork liver along with beef, chicken, and veal liver. Depends what I find at the grocery store. I have one dog that will not eat
his dry food unless I mix it with liver.

Confused.... :confused: