Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boot camp!

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I was invited to participate in a boot camp this morning. My former next door neighbor's mother is a trainer and owns a gym. I went this morning. My goodness I'm out of shape!

My biggest mistake, I ate a power bar and juice on the way there. Oh boy. After about 15 minutes, I started to feel light headed. The trainer told me to sit down and rubbed some alcohol on me. I started to feel nauseous! She took me outside where I promptly sat down and threw up. :yuck: Oy!

She was so wonderful though. She kept rubbing some alcohol on my arms and massaging them, and told me it happens to some people who just aren't used to working out. and she told me i should not have eaten before the workout.

After I felt better I finished the workout. I'm going back next week, only this time I'll have some toast about an hour before I go! I'm happy though I made it through.

14+kitties
March 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Good on you for going back and finishing! :thumbs up You should maybe start off a little slower and build up to a decent pace? I don't know. My workouts constitute maybe a walk or just a good long day of strenuous house work. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Oy! Ya...don't eat right before :o Glad you managed to recovery enough to finish! :thumbs up

NoahGrey
March 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I have always wanted to join a boot camp session. I think I would really enjoy it..i'll have to look into it again.

ACO22

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, I really need not only to not eat right before, and also start slower. I should not have done the 50 jumping jacks, that's what started it. But I'll know for next time.

Oh, and I should be getting the pet stroller next week! So walking with the gang!

poodletalk
March 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
They offer "boot camp" at my gym as well, looks like alot of fun, but I always to go to spinning class instead of trying "boot camp"

Maybe I will try "boot camp" one of these days!:thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Just go at your own pace. LOL, I learned my lesson.

Love4himies
March 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Way to go, AG, and don't give up on them. Morning workouts become addictive and once you start your day won't be the same without doing one. :thumbs up

Nix the bars for morning workouts :yuck:, any solids can be too hard on the digestive tract once your heart starts beating the blood to your colon. There are gels you can take instead that won't make you sick, but will give you the necessary carbs and calories to max your workout.

My favourites are Gu and Boom:

http://www.guenergy.com/

http://www.carbboom.com/

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks L4H. Those look pretty interesting. I'm going to see what flavors I might like and order some.

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
You shouldn't work out on a completely empty stomach. That's not good either. Something light like a handful of almonds and a glass of OJ is a good idea. I'll have a few slices of apple with some peanut butter. Or a half a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter. If there's time I like a bowl of oatmeal but I usually have it later, after a workout since I hardly ever leave enough time to eat AND digest my food before going to the gym. But a bowl of oatmeal with some peanut butter and walnuts stirred will give you a nice sustained energy and it has staying power.

Right after a workout I like to have a protein drink. My son got me started on these and he says not to wait the 15 minutes it takes me to get my things together and get home. It should be right after the workout so I take a shaker jar and mix it up and drink it in the car on the way home. This helped me a LOT in building a little muscle mass as I had NONE. I still don't look as though I have muscle but they test it at the gym and I'm doing well with the BMI. The muscle burns more calories so I reached my goal weight and size more easily once I started the drinks.

Plus they're really yummy !!! :thumbs up