Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The state of the BSL fight

Babs
September 1st, 2004, 01:47 PM
After reviewing recent interviews, articles, and writing the editors of some highly-exposed newspapers:

1) Legislators openly admit that Breed Bans do not fix the problem, however they are instant to implement, and appear to the public as a satisfying solution.

2) The media is funded by government officials to report a certain angle of stories. The angle generally supports their current line of thinking.

3) The public is quick to accept the media's perspective, and believes it to be fact.

4) Ultimately, the government will act in the best interest of public demand in order to maintain their position, but optimally this is done with the least amount of work and expense involved... right or wrong.

That being said, if we are going to win this fight, we need a louder voice than the media in order to deliver the truth to Canadians.

Despite my retraction requests, the Toronto Star published yet another disgusting opinionated and unfactual article supporting Pit Bulls today, September the 1st.

If this is the only news people will hear, obviously the general public is going to demand BSL across Ontario. Because it is the easiest solution, Government will implement it... and it will become Law.

*Keep in mind that Ontario houses a large majority of Canada's overall population. Whatever Ontario does, will soon be followed by other provinces.

Just as a quick note, you should follow the current Poll on the Globe & Mail that asks, "If your community chose to ban pit bulls, would you support the move?". The numbers are staggering: Globe and Mail Pit Bull Poll (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/polls/pollResults?id=27817&pollid=27817&answerid=&poll=GAMFront&save=_save&show_vote_always=no&hub=Front&subhub=VoteResult)

As I write this post, the current results are:

Yes: 10595 votes (85 %)
No: 1931 votes (15 %)

Total: 12526 Votes

That's a lot of misinformed people!

sammiec
September 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM
That just sickens me Babs! How disappointing! :( My poor girl is facing losing her family and possibly her life because of these a-holes.
Just do you're aware, if this ever did come to be a reality - we've already discussed moving out west... ;)

Babs
September 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM
Moving out west is tempting, but I have to wonder how long it would take for the other provinces to jump on the bandwagon.

This one just can NOT go through!

LavenderRott
September 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
From what I have read, this is not something that is going to be voted on in the next month or so. More like early next year. This gives you (us) plenty of time to put the pressure on and keep it there to implement laws that work instead of something that is just there to make people feel safer.