Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Prefers to Eat Kibble from his Kong - Problem?

Cashew
March 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I have a healthy, 4 year old, male, toy poodle. He's always been a picky eater, but I finally found a quality brand kibble that he likes.

I started giving him the kibble in his Kong, initially to fool him into thinking it was a treat.

Now he only wants to eat from the Kong. If I don't give him his Kong he will eventually get hungry enough and eat out of his bowl.

My questions is, why does he prefer the Kong? Is it just because it's more interesting. Is there any harm in continuing to feed him from the kong if it makes his eating experience more fun?. "I" wouldn't want to eat kibble, so anything that makes it more interesting can't be bad, right?

Pink-ET
March 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't think it mattered as long as he is eating it right? just don't then use the kong for treats as that would confuse.

Cashew
March 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
That's what I think. But I'm also curious why he prefers to eat from the kong.

BTW: your dog is adorable.

Sib.HuskyMom
March 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't think it's a problem at all (as long as it's fine with you).
I think it's a great way to keep him occupied and mentally stimulated. :thumbs up

Pink-ET
March 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
That's what I think. But I'm also curious why he prefers to eat from the kong.

BTW: your dog is adorable.

Thanks!

He probably just finds it fun to eat it out of the kong. my dog won't eat kibble on its own out of the bowl I have to mix it in really well with her RAW. So its probably just makes the kibble more interesting

Kay9
March 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Buddy does that too, although he prefers his treat ball, the little stinker.

I find,though, that if he's really hungry (if we go for a walk before breakfast, for example), he may deign to eat his food from his bowl. :thumbs up

Oh--edit to add that the vet said that it was fine.