Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HypOthyroidism *sigh*

Love4himies
March 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM
A few months back I posted about Jasper's blood work coming back as hypOthyroidim, which he has the totally opposite symptoms. He is hyper, I have a hard time keeping weight on him, etc., etc.

Well Puddles had her thyroid tested and got a call from the vet. She TOO has below normal thyroid levels (don't have a copy of the blood work yet). :confused::confused::confused: I was told by my vet that it is very rare for a cat to be hypo, but to have TWO cats that have this????? Once again, Puddles has no symptoms, but had LOST weight, hence the vet visit and blood work being done. He then joked by asking if I was living on a radioactive site :eek:.

Does anybody know if food could be the culprit :confused:? They eat NV Instinct and homemade raw, which I do add a tiny bit of salt every couple of days for iodine.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
L4H, I'm sorry both Jasper and Puddles are having these issues.

I was going to say maybe it's a breed thing, but I noticed Puddles and Jasper are different breeds.:shrug:

Frenchy
March 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I was told by my vet that it is very rare for a cat to be hypo, but to have TWO cats that have this?????

Nothing surprises me anymore L4H , after having Daisy and Sam with same rare cancer tumor :shrug:

I would be surprise about the food but I'm no expert.

So they have to get on meds to control it I guess ?

Love4himies
March 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
L4H, I'm sorry both Jasper and Puddles are having these issues.

I was going to say maybe it's a breed thing, but I noticed Puddles and Jasper are different breeds.:shrug:

Thanks AG. The vet thought they were related because to have two cats, asymptomatic (in fact opposite symptoms of the condition) in one household with a rare condition is so very strange.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore L4H , after having Daisy and Sam with same rare cancer tumor :shrug:
You gotta wonder if there is something in the ground/well water causing these anomalies :shrug:

I would be surprise about the food but I'm no expert.

So they have to get on meds to control it I guess ?

The vets (there are 2 now looking at their cases) are not going to put them on meds because they are both too skinny now. There is food out for them most of the day, so increasing what I give them won't increase their weight.

Puddles is going in for dental end of March, I think I will get Sweet Pea done when that bill is paid off and if she is Hypo too, then it has to be environmental.

Melinda
March 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
well that is odd to have two....where is their food made or do you feed raw?? I was wondering because we use to have a veggie plant next to a company that made medical supplies, xray films, etc.....and the govt put a stop to it. does that make any sense?

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM
So what in the environment would cause such a thing? Did the vet have any idea? :confused: (other than the radioactivity, I mean :o)

Love4himies
March 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
well that is odd to have two....where is their food made or do you feed raw?? I was wondering because we use to have a veggie plant next to a company that made medical supplies, xray films, etc.....and the govt put a stop to it. does that make any sense?

I feed homemade raw and Nature's Variety Instinct canned, which is a fairly popular cat food so other vets would have noticed an increase in hypo cats turning up :shrug:. I don't add any veggies, only raw meat, liver, hearts, egg yolks, taurine, wild salmon oil and a pinch of salt. Maybe they are not getting enough iodine :shrug:, but they eat the commercial food too, which is suppose to have iodine in it too.

Maybe I'll give NV a quick e-mail.

And neither has any symptoms of being hypO :confused::confused::confused:,

Love4himies
March 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
So what in the environment would cause such a thing? Did the vet have any idea? :confused: (other than the radioactivity, I mean :o)

That was it, Hazel.

The other thing of course is cancer of the thyroid gland, a lack of iodine.

The most common reason for hypO is having the radioactive iodine treatment for hypER cats, causing the cat to become hypO. It is a possibility for Jasper as I adopted him at 5-6 years old, but not for Puddles, I've had her since she was 10 weeks.

This is just bizzare.

chico2
March 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM
L4H,what is HypoT as compared to HyperT:confused:
Being hyper,losing weight are the symptoms of HyperT,my Rocky is losing weight again,time for another vet-visit:(
I hope both Puddles and beautiful Jasper will be ok:pray:

growler~GateKeeper
March 20th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Do you use tap or well water? If it is treated with fluoride that could be your culprit. High volumes of fluoride can cause abnormal fluctuations in the thyroid hormone levels. Filters such as Brita etc do not remove fluoride from the water.

http://fnes.org/diet-and-disease/fluoride-a-serious-health-risk-for-both-dogs-a-cats

The most common reason for hypO is having the radioactive iodine treatment for hypER cats, causing the cat to become hypO. It is a possibility for Jasper as I adopted him at 5-6 years old

Unlikely, since the average age of an RaIodine 131 treated cat is 15+, it's also uncommon to see HyperT in cats under 12

Love4himies
March 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM
L4H,what is HypoT as compared to HyperT:confused:
Being hyper,losing weight are the symptoms of HyperT,my Rocky is losing weight again,time for another vet-visit:(
I hope both Puddles and beautiful Jasper will be ok:pray:

Hypo is an underactive thyroid, usually causing lethargy, weight gain, poor, greasy fur, which is the opposite of what I am dealing with.

Do you use tap or well water? If it is treated with fluoride that could be your culprit. High volumes of fluoride can cause abnormal fluctuations in the thyroid hormone levels. Filters such as Brita etc do not remove fluoride from the water.

http://fnes.org/diet-and-disease/fluoride-a-serious-health-risk-for-both-dogs-a-cats

Unlikely, since the average age of an RaIodine 131 treated cat is 15+, it's also uncommon to see HyperT in cats under 12

I am on well water and that is what the cat's drink and what I add to their food.

14+kitties
March 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I am so sorry you are having these problems with your beauties. I know how scary it is. :( Hopefully you can get some answers soon.
We are on well water too here. How hard is your water? We have a water softener of course but I worry about the amount of salt in their water too. I sometimes boil the water or will buy a large container of distilled water. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
We had our well tested thoroughly after experiencing some, well, lets call it gastro-intestinal distress...and it was over the limit on copper. We'd had the water tested before we bought the place, but the required testing wasn't extensive enough to catch the copper levels.

You might want to have your water analyzed to see what might be in it--here the health department does it...not sure what entity would do it in ON. :o They actually sent along an info sheet on all the things they found out of line in the sample, laying out the possible health impacts.

chico2
March 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I think I'll buy some big bottles of water for my cats,so far I've been giving them tap-water,but they all drink a lot of water.
I never thought of the water being bad for them:confused:

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2010, 05:57 PM
It might not be the water at all, chico. :shrug: Are you on city water? Typically, city water is better monitored than private well water. So your tap water is probably just fine.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM
If it's the water it's easy enough to give them something more filtered. I bought one of those Brita filter pitchers and it's great. I just buy a new filter every couple of months and fill with regular water. That's what I give the gang to drink.

Love4himies
March 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM

About an hour ago I was reading everybody's posts and thinking well water and mineral contents, then as I was standing at the sink the light went off :lightbulb:. Before I bought this lot, I asked the developer for a copy of the results from the well testing of the three test wells dug in the area. I just remembered reading that deeper wells could contain high levels of flouride :eek: and our well is 300 ft deep :eek: :eek:

We have never had our water tested for minerals, just bacteria. So I guess I will get that done.

Sometimes it just takes a while for things to sink in for me :o :crazy: or connect the "posts" :o.

Thanks everybody :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2010, 12:21 AM
If it's the water it's easy enough to give them something more filtered. I bought one of those Brita filter pitchers and it's great. I just buy a new filter every couple of months and fill with regular water. That's what I give the gang to drink.

The filters will get some things out but not things like fluoride etc.

Before I bought this lot, I asked the developer for a copy of the results from the well testing of the three test wells dug in the area. I just remembered reading that deeper wells could contain high levels of flouride :eek: and our well is 300 ft deep :eek: :eek:

We have never had our water tested for minerals, just bacteria. So I guess I will get that done.

I would definately have it re-tested, this way you can at least rule out the water one way or the other :shrug:

Duffy, because of her compromised kidneys, has been drinking exclusively bottled water since her CRF diagnosis.