Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Groomers???

bbv
September 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone knows what to look for when choosing a groomer????
ie: credentials

Thanks!

goldenblaze
September 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM
I have a groomer that my family has used for many years, my Shih Tzu is a little scared of people for some reason and yet when he goes to his spa day we call it he is fine. When looking for a groomer make sure the place is clean, ask if they check to make sure all dogs are healthy and clean when coming disease can spread fast at places like this. Is the groomer someone you know, or is she someone that a family memeber knows. I would not leave my pets without known what it is like behind closed doors. You should have no fear of leaving your pet, if you don't right about the groomer please keep looking and find someone you trust after all your pets can't tell you hwat happens when your gone. :)

shan
September 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
Exactly Goldenblaze! I was just looking for a groomer recently also. I asked as many people as i could where they took their dog, and went with the most well referred. Also, this lady was extremely kind to Annie, and Annie seemed very comfortable around her (didnt even look at me when I left) As well, I liked the fact that she allowed me into her house where the grooming was done. She did not just take the dog and tell me when to be back. Finally, when I came to pick Annie up she was not scared at all. She was just happy to see me. I trust my instincts and my dogs. (I had phoned another groomer before this one, and I didnt feel comfortable with the way she spoke, and the fact that she could fit me in within a day....I have found that a good groomer is a busy groomer and you need to book in advance!!)

Goldenmom
September 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
I would also call training facilities, doggy daycares etc.... and ask they opinion. They would see lots of dogs coming and going with bad hair days!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

debanneball
September 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
I found my groomer at my Vet's office. If you are searching for a groomer, ask if they sedate dogs at all. I have a friend who took her dog to the groomer, and when she came home, the dog was ill. It turned out that the dog had been sedated and the owner did not now. :(

Spoiled
September 2nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Ask them questions like:
How many dogs do they do in one day? A good groomer would take a longer time to do the dogs.
Are they experienced with the breed? If the groomer does not seem to have experience with your breed, I wouldn't suggest it.
Can you stay and watch? If the groomer says "Yes, of course!" right away, then it is most likely a good groomer.
Take a tour of the grooming area. If there are tools that look like they are used to abuse an animal, ask what they are for. If you get a strange answer, I'd leave.
Do they do the dog's nails? If they do, make sure that they do not clip them too short and then burn them to stop the bleeding.

Choose a groomer you are comfortable with leaving your dog with. Tell medical issues to the groomer so that he/she knows about them (no groomer likes to be bitten because he or she touched the face without warning). Pick a groomer that you think matches your dog's personality. A groomer who is loud might not suit a shy small dog's personality. A groomer who is shy might not suit a large overexcited dog's personality.