Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat in heat

Eloise
March 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Everyone - I am cat sitting and have very little experience in dealing with cats. I think my little cat is in heat. She is wailing up a storm and rubbing herself all over the floor, stairs, anything. I don't know how to help her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shaykeija
March 17th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Yes.. get her spayed..

14+kitties
March 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM
First off - how old is your kitty? Is she the only one in the house? Is she indoor only?
From what you have described and if your kitty is somewhere around five months or older then yes, she is in heat. If she is the only one in the house then basically you will be putting up with those actions for three to four days. Possibly longer as cats can go into heat at will if they sense an intact male near by. Please if you would normally let her outdoors, don't! She will come back pregnant without a doubt. Not to mention all of the other diseases outdoor cats can pick up. Some with simply a bite from another cat.
The site below is for a place where you may be able to arrange a low cost spay for her. I believe if you call that number and use #2 you can leave a message and someone will get back to you about where you can take her. Toronto has a number of vets who work with this wonderful organization to s/n as many cats as possible.

http://www.torontocatrescue.ca/store/contact.asp

Please don't consider letting her have a litter of kittens. The world is overflowing with cats who are in very bad situations because there are no homes for them. Even if you have been told it's best for her to have a litter before being fixed, it isn't.

catlover2
March 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
There is a low cost spay/neuter clinic in Newmarket, just north of Toronto.
http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

Do not let her outside. Make an appt. to get her spayed asap when her heat is over.

14+kitties
March 17th, 2010, 11:02 PM
There is a low cost spay/neuter clinic in Newmarket, just north of Toronto.
http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

Do not let her outside. Make an appt. to get her spayed asap when her heat is over.

Thanks catlover for mentioning that. I had forgotten about it. It can take months to get in to get a cat or dog fixed because they are so busy. I figured TCR may be better in this case as they can get a cat in quickly. Within a matter of a few days normally.

Melinda
March 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I hope the poster come back to read your wonderful answers!!!

Masha
March 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys,

I know the poster (so be easy on her!! :) ) and the kitty is 100% indoor and is getting spayed (again) so no worries there (when kitty was adopted she was already spayed but apparently not all the tissue was removed as she went into heat, so she will have to be taken in for a spay again).

The poster is kitty sitting and is looking for info on what she can do to make this easier on the kitty, perhaps there is something she can do to alleviate kitty's discomfort, etc, until kitty is spayed again.

Thanks for the info!

Winston
March 18th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Masha long time no see! I hope you and the gang are well!

This poor kitty! its funny I have heard of this happening in dogs and I actually have a friend this happened to but didnt realize this happened with cats too!

Yes we need to be nice this is not her cat and she only cat sitting as she mentioned in the first sentence of her post. Thanks for bringing that up! :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I know the poster (so be easy on her!! :) ) and the kitty is 100% indoor and is getting spayed (again) so no worries there (when kitty was adopted she was already spayed but apparently not all the tissue was removed as she went into heat, so she will have to be taken in for a spay again).

The poster is kitty sitting and is looking for info on what she can do to make this easier on the kitty, perhaps there is something she can do to alleviate kitty's discomfort, etc, until kitty is spayed again.

Thanks for the info!

:confused: Didn't think we were being nasty?
Anyway, not much you can do to alleviate a heat cycle. Just live with it for a few days. Give her some extra lovin's but you can expect her butt to be in your face the whole time. :yuck: She'll be fine.
Who is doing the surgery? Her own vet or is she going to Spay Central?
Also, knowing all the info that we now know - the tissue being missed, her already having been spayed, and all - I guess you can forget what I said earlier about her coming back pregnant. :)