Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

walking new puppy

kara1
March 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
My sister got a new puppy and i remember hearing from somewhere that you shouldn"t walk them for too long because of health reasons and such, can anyone refresh my memory as to what health problems(as in joints or muscles) and if this is only breed specific i can't remember or if this is just another wives tale kind of thing. thanks. Anyone know the answer?

kara1
March 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hello
can anyone answer this

Masha
March 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
What breed is her puppy? how old is he/she?

DoubleRR
March 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
The amount of exercise needed for a puppy will depend on its age and the breed - whether it is an active breed or less active breed. Puppies can develop leg bone growth and joint problems when they are older if they are over walked as puppies, particularly on hard surfaces.

To calculate a very general guideline for walking, walk the pup for 5 minutes for every month of its age. For example a 4 month old puppy will be 5 minutes X 4 months, which equals 20 minutes.

See how your puppy reacts during and after walks - if he seems to get very tired and lags behind it is probably too much for him. If, however, he is very active on the walk and at home then he may need a little more.

kara1
March 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
my sister got a brussels griffon and she has had her for about 3 weeks to a month now so she is probably just about 3 months now or just under

Masha
March 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
For such a young puppy, i would stick to no more than 10-15 minutes twice a day. Since the pup hasn't had all her shots yet, dont take her to parks or areas where racoons/squirels, etc. can be as the pup can get sick from droppings left by these animals.

Longblades
March 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
There are several versions of the "5 minute rule for walking." Here is the one I found to make most sense for me and my Lab.

5 minutes per month of age allowed twice a day for forced exercise on a hard surface. The hard surface part is obvious. ON leash is considered forced exercise because pup has to walk along with you in a straight line and the repetiveness of the movement is thought to be debilitating over a period of time.

Free play off leash is unlimited on a soft surface like grass because puppy can change direction, go fast, lie down whenever she wants.

I did follow this loosely with my pup. Though he was not on a leash at all till 4.5 months we did walk in the bush and snowmobile trails and he was going in pretty much a straight line. When we began to do leash training at 4.5 months on my paved village roads I did adhere pretty closely to the recommendation.

kara1
March 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
thanks everyone for the advice I will pass this on to my sister. I don't come on here very often but i know when i do have a question i can be sure to get great advice. thanks