Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some of my fur kids *S*

Tundra_Queen
March 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi

Here are a few pics of my fur kids.

Tegan is trying so hard to make friends with Mindy, but Mindy is still nervous around her. But Mindy hasn't taken a nip at her since the last time, thank goodness. :)

Mindy was sleeping on the bed last night (she sure is a bed hog for such a little dog. :laughing:) and when I woke up Minday and O'Shawnnessey were curled up sleeping together!! I sure wish I had my camera upstairs with me...it was so cute.

Debbie

luckypenny
March 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
What a sweet and patient big sister Tegan is :angel: :cloud9:.

Perhaps Mindy's not used to larger dogs, TQ :shrug:. Hopefully she'll warm up to Tegan really soon :goodvibes:.

You're going to have to start carrying that camera everywhere with you :D...kitty & puppy pics are the best :lovestruck:.

Tundra_Queen
March 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
here are some more
with Mirabelle.

luckypenny
March 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
..kitty & puppy pics are the best :lovestruck:.

here are some more
with Mirabelle.

Yeah, like that one :D.

:cloud9:

Tundra_Queen
March 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
What a sweet and patient big sister Tegan is :angel: :cloud9:.

Perhaps Mindy's not used to larger dogs, TQ :shrug:. Hopefully she'll warm up to Tegan really soon :goodvibes:.

You're going to have to start carrying that camera everywhere with you :D...kitty & puppy pics are the best :lovestruck:.

LP..Mindy was getting picked on by the other Shih Tzus at the kennel, so she was separated and shared a room with another dog that didn't pick on her. Rizzo, she was another dog I could of adopted. So it doesn't surprise me that Mindy is nervous around Tegan. I would be too if I lived with a giant! :laughing:

LP your cookie trick is really helping with her going potty outside too. :D

14+kitties
March 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Awww Tegan. What a sweetie.:cloud9: I hope Mindy comes around to his way of thinking soon. It's so nice to have a pal. Love the Mirabelle pic!! :lovestruck:

luckypenny
March 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hopefully in time, Mindy will realize what a gentle soul Tegan is :).

Glad the treats are helping with the potty training :thumbs up. Shih Tzus are such intelligent dogs and learn quickly!

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
She's a doll, TQ! :flirt: I think she'll warm up to Tegan--once she figures out Tegan isn't going to bowl her over, she'll be more comfy around her.

You definitely have to hang that camera around your neck at all times! :D Mindy's so cute with the kitties--she likes critters her own size. :cloud9:

TeriM
March 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Tegan :lovestruck: .

Mindy looks like she is settling in nicely and likes her new kitty companions :cloud9:.

Tundra_Queen
March 17th, 2010, 12:52 AM
She's a doll, TQ! :flirt: I think she'll warm up to Tegan--once she figures out Tegan isn't going to bowl her over, she'll be more comfy around her.

You definitely have to hang that camera around your neck at all times! :D Mindy's so cute with the kitties--she likes critters her own size. :cloud9:

Yes she does seem to be getting use to the kitties. :D

Tegan :lovestruck: .

Mindy looks like she is settling in nicely and likes her new kitty companions :cloud9:.

Yes she was sleeping beside the 2 girl kitties on the couch tonight. *S*

Tundra_Queen
March 17th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Hopefully in time, Mindy will realize what a gentle soul Tegan is :).

Glad the treats are helping with the potty training :thumbs up. Shih Tzus are such intelligent dogs and learn quickly!

LP ...the treat were working except for today we had to go to Walmart and put her in her crate and she pooped. *sigh*

I just don't get it, she was just pooping late at night...and I had taken her out before we went and she peeped and when we came home...I had to clean out the crate. I was so hoping she would be ok for the 2 hrs she was in it. I don't know why the crate makes her poop.

Someone on another forum mentioned that show dogs are sometimes put in a 3 X 3 crate so they will not break their coat hairs so they just poop and pee in their crates and and in their food and don't have the instinct to keep their sleeping quarters clean. *sigh* That they aren't allowed to play with other dogs, or walk on carpets as all that will break their coat hair. That they are only taken out of the crate life, AFTEr they win their championship and start breeding. I don't know if Mindy was raised like that, but it sure is sad if other dogs are raised like that. :(

She was doing so well with going outside..it just seems to be when she is put in the crate.

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM
How is she about the crate otherwise, TQ? Does she go in it voluntarily to explore or to take a nap?

I'm wondering if she's got some separation anxiety. Brier has some SA and messes his kennel if left too long. We're slowly getting him used to both of us being gone, but it's a long row to hoe...

Tundra_Queen
March 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
hazel, I use to put her food dish just inside the crate door and she would stick her head in it to eat, but she really wouldn't go right into it, unless I threw a toy in it.

I have pillows outside of the crate and she sleeps on them or on the couch with the cats. I took the pillow outside of the crate because he messes over eveything.

Today we went to the coffee shop and I had her out a bit before and she completely emptied. We were gone for about an hour and when we came back she had messed in her crate again.

I was telling hubs that I was wondering if she thought she was going to be in the crate for a very long time and got herself worked up and then had to poop. If she was really one of the show dogs that got locked up in a crate so not to harm her show coat,,,maybe she is worried she is going to be in there for hours?

I was thinking the next time we go out I will just tie her on the kitchen chair and she will be right close to Tegan and maybe she won't mess and if she does it will be on the wood floor and not the carpet?

I was also thinking, just to put her in the crate for a couple of minutes while I'm at the computer and slowly increase the time until she realzies that I'm going to come back and let her out?

At night time I don't crate her anymore she sleeps on the bed with us and a couple of the cats and she is fine.

so I just don't understand.

Debbie

the gang
March 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
63414 here is a couple of mine lol

the gang
March 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
1 eye nick you are so sweet love you lots

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I was telling hubs that I was wondering if she thought she was going to be in the crate for a very long time and got herself worked up and then had to poop. If she was really one of the show dogs that got locked up in a crate so not to harm her show coat,,,maybe she is worried she is going to be in there for hours?

I'm wondering the same thing about maybe a fear of being left in the crate for a long time. Brier was confined in a small outdoor dog run with no interaction except when meals were being delivered. He does not like to be confined at all...or left alone. I'm hoping we'll make some headway on that this summer :thumbs up

The computer time idea sounds like a good idea--start out slow and build up the time... Might be all she needs to finally believe that it isn't going to be for a long time.

Tundra_Queen
March 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
thanks hazel..I just feel so bad for her, she is so good about doing her business outside considering she is still learning. and she feels badly when I tell her she's not suppose to do that in the house. :(

How old is Brier and how long have u had him?

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Brier was 3 in September. We've had him for 2.5 years. :o I had him up to about an hour in the crate with no problems, and then we were gone for about 2.5 hours one day and he was back to square one when we got home! :cry: So we're starting over. :o

Once the poor boy had a taste of companionship, he was afraid of losing it again, I think.

Tundra_Queen
March 20th, 2010, 02:54 AM
aw Hazel that is so sad, poor Brier. Do all your dogs stay in crates when u are out?

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
:o

When I say hazel doesn't go out much, I mean that literally! :laughing: We don't both go out at the same time as a rule. On those very short (and I'm trying to lengthen the time) trips out when they're alone, Brier, Ridge and Belle are crated--Brier because he'll mess, Ridge because she likes to squish the other dogs (she'll go from bed to bed and try to lie down on top of whoever is using it) and Belle because she doesn't have control of her tongue and wants to chap everyone's ears :rolleyes: Everyone else is out, usually settled on beds near the crates.

Brier is really the only one that gets anxious now when we're gone. And he doesn't just bark, he cries pathetically. It's heart-wrenching! :(

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Mindy is such a sweet girl. I'm sure she and Teegan will be buddies in no time. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
March 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I missed this thread :sorry:

Sorry that Mindy is not clean yet but don't worry. Sometimes it can take months ... I've been there :rolleyes: many times :laughing:

Her showing years might have given her bad habits , so it will take her a while to figure out this new life she has. Soon enough , she'll know that she's in a good place :cloud9:

has she warm up to Tegan yet ?

Tundra_Queen
March 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
:o

When I say hazel doesn't go out much, I mean that literally! :laughing: We don't both go out at the same time as a rule. On those very short (and I'm trying to lengthen the time) trips out when they're alone, Brier, Ridge and Belle are crated--Brier because he'll mess, Ridge because she likes to squish the other dogs (she'll go from bed to bed and try to lie down on top of whoever is using it) and Belle because she doesn't have control of her tongue and wants to chap everyone's ears :rolleyes: Everyone else is out, usually settled on beds near the crates.

Brier is really the only one that gets anxious now when we're gone. And he doesn't just bark, he cries pathetically. It's heart-wrenching! :(

hazel, poor Brier, I feel so awful for him. Do u ever take him in the car with u to town so he sees where your going and how u come back? Maybe that would make him feel better if he knew what u were doing?

That is funny about Ridge being a squisher,,,unless she really hurts the others by laying on them.

Mindy is such a sweet girl. I'm sure she and Teegan will be buddies in no time. :lovestruck:

Thank you, Tegan wants to be buddies, but Mindy is still a bit nervous of her.

I missed this thread :sorry:

Sorry that Mindy is not clean yet but don't worry. Sometimes it can take months ... I've been there :rolleyes: many times :laughing:

Her showing years might have given her bad habits , so it will take her a while to figure out this new life she has. Soon enough , she'll know that she's in a good place :cloud9:

has she warm up to Tegan yet ?

Frenchy, Mindy does not run away from Tegan anymore and she does sniff Tegan when Tegan's back is turned now. :D But she is still cautious around her.

The cats are getting more use to Mindy too... I think Mindy tried to play with O'Shawnnessey last night again and Darby doesn't mind being around Mindy at all.

Mindy seems to have poop accidents only when I'm not home, whether she is in her crate or tied to the kitchen chair. hazel thought she might be having the same reaction as Brier has when hazel leaves for a while.

Debbie