Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Howdy! I'm Lucky's Person now........

luckysluckydad
March 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hi there. I'm Mike , or "Lucky's person" , lol . I've been a dog owner for most of my 37 years on Earth and I absolutely adore them. Dogs are amazing creatures , I only wish they could talk!! It would really help me with my new dog , Lucky.
He's an American Staffordshire from what we're told , 3 years old , recently nuetered.
We got Lucky last Monday from a lady who had rescued him from a NYC animal control center as a skin and bones~last night before night-night dog. She adopted him and nursed him back to health , but after a couple of months the doggie day`care bill was killing her so she offered him to us. We live on an acre of land , with 40 more behind us and 400 more behind that. Lucky has clean well water, lots of play room , no traffic , 2 loving trainers and 4 wonderful kids to spend his days with now. It's funny though. As lucky as he is , we are the ones who feel Blessed.
Looking forward to chatting on the forum -
Mike:grouphug:

14+kitties
March 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome Mike. Thank you for adopting Lucky. His rescuer is an angel for helping him. :angel: Pics are a must btw. :D

luckysluckydad
March 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Kathy was indeed his angel. I told her as much. It broke her heart to lose him , you could tell , but she did feel better after meeting us and seeing our place for him. She has access to him anytime she'd like ,which was all she asked in return for her loss and investment - occasional visitation. How could I say no ?
Thanks for the welcome , here's the prerequisite pic ;)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/dustodustodustodust/IMG_5108.jpg

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Definitely need some pics of the fortunate Lucky! :D Welcome to the board, luckysluckydad!

mummummum
March 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thank you for adopting this pup! Aren't Staffies a hoot! And wow ~ are you in for a life time of love :lovestruck:

Did anyone mention: PIX PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

chico2
March 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Luckysdad,Thank you for adopting Lucky:grouphug:
As smart and loyal as Staffies are supposed to be,I am sure Lucky will give you and your family many,many wonderful years.....oh and pics,please:dog:

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
He's so handsome! Lucky boy, he was rescued by a wonderful person not once but twice!

chico2
March 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
He is one good looking boy:lovestruck:

luckysluckydad
March 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone ! We had our last dog , an APBT/Mastiff/boxer mix , for 11 years before he passed away. We went for a little over a year before finding this dog since we really weren't looking to replace "Bull" .
We look at lucky and wonder what his story is .... How could someone give up such a beautiful dog ? Where did he come from , and how long was he a "survivor" ??? He eats snow-pack and chomps on leaves ..... we don't know how long he was out on the streets .....
Looking forward to chatting about his breed and others on here.
Thanks again for the warm welcome - nice to be among fellow aminal lubbers.:D

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
He is a very handsome dude, luckysluckydad! :flirt: How is he settling into his new home? :goodvibes:

Melinda
March 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
what a handsome dude!!!

luckysluckydad
March 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hazelrunpack - he's settling in surprisingly well , although he's kind of unresponsive to names since we don't know his "real" name. We settled on Lucky , and thats what we use , but if he's looking at a shiny object and you call him that , he won't necessarily turn his head , lol. I've tried a wide variety of names at random , hoping when he hears a familiar one , he will respond right to it , but no luck as of yet.
He got pretty snarly/growly at the UPS man today, which surprised me. He's been here a week now and has shown ZERO aggressive behavior towards humans. His previous owner had him in a day care so I don't think he has animal aggression. He takes treats powdery soft as opposed to the chomp and run, which I expected from an ex-stray. You can even take his food away/tussel his head and body while he eats - no growls or anything , not so much as an odd look. But that UPS man did not sit well with him. :evil: He calmed down pretty quickly and has been himself since but I wonder if there is a way to correct that ?
I'll post proper questions in proper threads , this one is just a "hello" .:thumbs up
More pics to come soon !

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Yes, there are ways to work with him to control that sort of reaction to the UPS man. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions when you open your thread :goodvibes:

Meanwhile, as far as the name goes--stick to Lucky. He'll soon learn that's his name. But if you try a variety at random hoping to find his old name, he'll never learn his new name. The chances of you finding his old name are probably pretty slim, anyway. :D

I'm glad he's settling in so well! He knows he's found his home. :thumbs up

Winston
March 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
OMG he is absolutley gorgeous! and most certainly Lucky! I agreee you can work at the UPS thing! My boy is 10 and to this day he still barks his fool head off at a mailman! has never even met one outside of his home but wants to kill him regardless!! :D

Thank you for finding room for this one! :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Lucky is a very handsome dude!! :cloud9:

Tundra_Queen
March 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hi

Welcome to the Forum!! Your pup is beautiful!!