Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten & ear mites

kungfuMao
March 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hello everyone!

I've a question about ear mites.

My poor little mukmuk seems to have ear mites. There's dark brown debris in his ears. It resembles coffee grounds. He's also shaking his head, not constantly, but definitely more than he had been in the past few weeks.

About a month ago, he had a ton of "work" done on him: he had his anal glands expressed, had a crypt neuter, and his ears flushed. The poor little guy was so miserable for that week since he had diarrhea (due to meds), was wearing the "cone of shame", and had ear drops that were oily so his head looked awful. It was a bad week.

He had recuperated very very well and was super energetic, happy, playful and affectionate for the past few weeks.

But in the past few days I've noticed this in his ears. :( I'm so sad for the little guy because he's been through soooooo much already as a little kitten.

He is coming to see the vet with me tomorrow morning when I drop off my female kitty for her spay.

Anyway, the question is: in order to rid him of ear mites, is the only option a deep clean? I understand that they will have to put him under to flush mites out and I'm wary about that because the anesthesia makes him so disoriented and diarrhea-y. Are there other options?!

I will definitely ask the vet tomorrow, but I want to go prepared with possibilities.

Thanks so much for reading and thinking of us! :)

14+kitties
March 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
There are vet medications that are a one shot deal and do work. The vet can apply them in his/her office and that's it. It is important the ears are cleaned first with swabs. Please let the vet do this. It is not necessary to have the cat put under for this.
Here is a site to give you more info about different methods of clearing up mites.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=vetmedicine&cdn=homegarden&tm=42&f=11&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_mites.html

kungfuMao
March 15th, 2010, 01:56 AM
:thumbs up

Thank you 14+! That makes me feel so relieved!!

I looked at the site you linked (thanks!) and noticed that Revolution is one of the methods to rid the mites. When I called the vet, the vet tech said that Revolution is fabulous for preventative measures, but wouldn't get rid of what's already there.

Here's hoping everything goes as smoothly and painlessly as possible for my little one :cat:

lindapalm
March 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
My vet gives a treatment that requires thirty days of oily drops. I clean the ears every day with cotton balls before I put the drops in. Its a pain, so if you can get something quicker, I'd take it.

kungfuMao
March 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
SoooOoOooo....

Mukmuk is at the vet right now. Apparently, an ear cleaning does not require general anesthesia. It's only a mild sedation that the vet says is not a danger to my small one.

Good news: mukmuk does not have ear mites.

Bad news: he has some sort of bacteria (not yet infection :fingerscr ) and will require more meds.

The poor thing has had such a rough go at life. :(

I'm glad it's not mites as that means maomao would be susceptible to it also. (She is also at the vet getting spayed.)

Stay tuned for Adventures of Muk & Mao :cat::cat:

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2010, 01:15 AM
:goodvibes: for speedy recovery for them both

kungfuMao
March 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the :goodvibes:

My kitties are home!!

Mukmuk is behaving just fine. He has ear drops and meds to rid him of the bacteria that's bothering his ears. He hates meds. I would too if I were him. :evil:

Maomao is also very well. She's doing much better than Mukmuk did when he got the "snip snip". I tried to keep things nice and calm, gave her lots of comfort, but as soon as she heard DH's key turn she was off the bed as if she didn't just have a surgery! Crazy mao. :rolleyes:

Now my only battle is trimming her nails. I was hoping the vet would do it while she was under, but i think they did it on the wrong cat as Muk has a nice pedicure. *sigh* But if that's the worse of it, I'm HAPPY :D

Melinda
March 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
glad to hear all is fine!!! don't you wish we could bounce back as fast as they do after surgery? *L*

kungfuMao
March 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
So.... Maomao seems to be recovering very smoothly. Her incision looks totally fine. She is not really bothered by it at all! Her activity level, appetite, poops seem totally normal. I'm super pleased by this!

Mukmuk on the other hand... since getting his ears flushed, he seemed to be quite well upon arriving home. The dr. prescribed some different ear-drops and antibiotics than the last time that this happened to mukmuk (when he was neutered. about a month ago). So on Tuesday when I started the meds, his energy levels seem to have waned. He is sitting and staring a lot more. He is not participating in "crazy town" behaviors. He is not dashing into any open doors (apartment hallway, fridge, cupboards). The behavior is very similar to when he was neutered and consequently wearing the cone of shame, looking like a mess due to the oily nature of the ear drops.

I called the vet office and asked about the side-effects of the meds and the tech said that it shouldn't have those kinds of side-effects. She told me to keep a close eye on him in case there are other changes. He is eating normally (lots as usual) and pooping normally. Only his energy/activity levels seem different.

I was wondering if he could be feeling depressed or embarrassed about the raggedy state he is in due to his oily ear drops. They make a mess of the fur on his head and because it has to be applied 2x daily, there isn't much he can do to clean himself up. Could this be having a toll on his energy/activity levels? I don't know! I don't know much about cats and anything out of the ordinary concerns me. Does anyone else have experience with this or has observed this with their cats?

Or am I just a little too crazy about my kitties?

Thanks for "listening". I appreciate the sympathy!!

14+kitties
March 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
How old is he? It is possible he is reaching a "quieter" age where he is not doing all things kitty any more and acting more "grown up". It also could be with the drops being oily that his hearing is affected and he is trying to figure out why. If he doesn't have mites what are the drops for? Is the bacteria/infection he has in the ear canal? If that is the case you will need to be very diligent about keeping his ears clean. A damp, warm washcloth once a week wiped gently on the parts of the ear you can get to would be beneficial for him.
Why does your vet need a mild sedation to clean his ears? :confused:

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
It might just be the "squishy" feeling in his ears, which may also affect balance, if he doesn't bounce back to normal in the next day or two I'd put in another call to the vets

kungfuMao
March 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Mukmuk is just over 8 months old now. He should still be very "kitten", shouldn't he? :confused:

According to what I was told, the bacteria is in his ear canals. The mild sedation was because it was an ear flush, deep into his ears. The drops and meds are to treat the bacteria, from what I understand.

I do hope that he is just mildly confused and wondering why he can't hear normally due to the ear drops. :cry: I am so paranoid when it comes to mukmuk because of his rough start in life (he was found in a dumpster and he was just crawling with fleas :cry: ).

:pray: that he perks up soon...

14+kitties
March 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I would bet it's the drops causing his issues right now.
Actually, at eight months or so they do start calming down a little. Especially since they are neutered. Don't get me wrong. They will still do silly kitty things for years to come. Just won't be from sun up to sun down. Or from sun down to sun up as cats are nocturnal. :rolleyes:

kungfuMao
March 18th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Thank you SO much cat gurus! :grouphug:

That definitely alleviates some fears but I will continue to keep watching closely. Maomao is supposed to have shots on Monday, so I will ask the vet about it then, even if Mukmuk has shown improvement. I just want to know!!

Updates to come...

Thanks again! :cat:

growler~GateKeeper
March 19th, 2010, 12:57 AM
You could always bring him in to the same appt & have the vet take a peek in his ears to see how they look deeper in the canal than can be seen w/the eye :)

kungfuMao
March 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Kitten update...

Maomao is totally fine. Her incision is barely noticeable at this point. She is running around like crazytown, as usual. At the moment, she is trying to tear into a cardboard box my DH overlapped securely.

Mukmuk is watching her with curiousity.

I took Mukmuk to the vet on monday when Maomao went in for her shots. Mukmuk had also developed a rotund belly. Oh... worms! I thought. This would explain his appetite even though he is so low-energy/activity. I asked about the worms and told the vet about his symptoms. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a fecal sample, but the vet said it'd be fine if they took the deworming pills regardless.

The vet listened to Mukmuk. Asked about his stool (was firm when he was doing well. most recently loose and soft (i thought) due to his antibiotics for his ears). The vet throws out there that he suspects FIP. He told me that FIP would make the potbelly because of the accumulation of fluid around the organs. He told me that a special blood test would show whether Mukmuk has it. He told me that it was fatal. I asked, and he told me that if Mukmuk had it, he would not be in pain at this point.

I was sooooooooo upset on Monday. I couldn't believe that he could be so sick. My little kitty was going to die?!?!?!

I gave him his first deworm pill praying that he had worms, not worse.

And he has perked up since Monday!! My DH mentioned, it's like a whole different cat. He's playing and running again. He's curious again. He's moving around again instead of just hunching in one spot sitting or snoozing. He's doing things that we haven't seen him do in awhile. And his rotund belly is almost completely gone!

I'm still unsure of what caused this to him. He finished his ear drops and antibiotics (novolexin) on Monday and the first deworm pill was given to him. So I don't know whether the cause of his lethargy was due to the meds he was on or the (possible) worms he had.

DH and I are also looking for another vet, one that is interested in a combo of holistic and conventional veterinary care. We feel terribly that Mukmuk has been on meds SO OFTEN since we've adopted him 3 months ago. It can't be good for the little guy. Does anyone have any feedback regarding this vet (http://www.awac.ca/)and this vet (http://www.vancouveranimalwellness.com/)?

Here's hoping that everything continues to show improvement :pray:

sugarcatmom
March 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any feedback regarding this vet (http://www.awac.ca/)and this vet (http://www.vancouveranimalwellness.com/)?

Very glad to hear that Maomao and Mukmuk are doing well. :thumbs up

Also awesome that you want to look into more holistic veterinary options. Growler might be able to give you some recommendations, but I just wanted to mention that I've heard of the Vancouver Animal Wellness clinic before and love that they're very pro-raw:
http://www.vancouveranimalwellness.com/nutrition-michael.html

kungfuMao
March 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
:thumbs up

Yes! That is an indicator for me that shows their philosophy - holistic vs. conventional. I also read the pro-raw vet and was pleased to see it.

I know that the other vet also sells raw so that is another good indicator for me. This vet was a recommendation - which is nice!

growler~GateKeeper
March 27th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Glad to hear Mukmuk is doing better :) & Maomao came through with flying colours literally :laughing:

For my recommendation on homeopath vet I go to The Healing Place (http://www.healingplace.ca/) in North Van, just the other side of the 2nd Narrows Bridge. My vet Dr Ruish, was a co-founder of Vanc Animal Wellness Hosp., he works together with homeopath and founder of the College of Animal Homeopathic Medicine Julie Lee DCH, RCSHom.

kungfuMao
March 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks, Growler :D She is the cattiest of cats. At the moment, she is the "mayor of crazytown" as DH terms it. She is tearing around jumping and trying to entice Mukmuk to wrestle with her. He is not interested :rolleyes:

If allowed to comment (if not then I will pm), what do you like about the healing place?

I am SOOOOOO glad to know that there are (at least) three different ones to choose from! It's so good to live on the West coast... but I guess I'm biased ;)

growler~GateKeeper
March 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM
just some things:

Homeopathy is the primary modality, treating by correcting the source of the issue

Treating the animal comes way before money

Relaxed atmosphere - check out the exam room pic in the link :)

Open Saturdays & Sundays

Kind & courteous staff with a personal feel, will give suggestions for other places to purchase supplements cheaper than what they sell for

Vets are more than willing to explain things to you, not rushed in any way & they don't brush off your concerns

Vets are open to suggestions/ideas other than their own - will do conventional treatment if you prefer

Advocate raw without pushing for those not inclined, David Ruish & Julie Lee were consultants in the development of Amore Raw Food, Julie was also consultant for Feline Futures TC Instincts raw pre-mix

Do not push/advocate vaccinations - there's an article written by David Ruish, Julie Lee & Andrea Ring here on pg 4 Pet Connection Paper (http://www.petconnectionpaper.com/issues/2008-08-09.pdf), & continued here on pg 4 part 2 (http://www.petconnectionpaper.com/issues/2008-10-11.pdf)

I have gone in to purchase remedies/supplements & been charged later when I've had an appointment soon after. I have also made arrangements to have remedies made up for me & picked them up long after they've closed & paid days later.

and their brand new surgery just opened