Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I be concerned about this?

Veesmart
March 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I've noticed that my 8 month old Chihuahua does does this with toys she is particularly into at that time. She will do it for long periods of time and sometimes won't stop until the toy is out of sight.

I'm not sure how to describe it other then "Nosing". She sits infront of the object and runs her nose along the couch/floor until it touches the toy, and then repeats, again and again and again.

Here is a video of her doing it (although note that there isn't normally blankets getting in her way). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nANc_dYso

Is this somthing to be concerned about?

mummummum
March 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Is she compulsive about it? As in, does she get frantic and freak-out if you prevent her from doing it?

She's a real cutie btw!

Veesmart
March 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Well when she does it she's definitely in a different state, but she's not agitated or freaking out. Only compulsive in that she does it over and over and over...like a person with OCD would do.

When I take it away she moves on as if nothing has happened, and sometimes she will stop when I tell her to (but not always)

DoubleRR
March 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like the instinct to bury her prize is in a bit of overdrive. She is trying to hide it from the world so it stays hers, but has gotten confused between covering it up with dirt if it were outside and just picking it up and hiding it indoors. The movement she is making is what all dogs do to cover an item after depositing into a hole they have dug, or to push leaves etc over an item to cover it from prying eyes. That is why she won't stop until the toy is out of sight. If she is not too obsessive or protective, and you want to give her an outlet--provide something she can bury toys in--say a box of safe small items like ping pong balls or wash clothes to use.

Tommysmom
March 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
My pup used to do that with treats and toys, trying to 'bury' them in the middle of the floor. We gave him some lttle blankets and that way he'd bury them in the blankets (it was easier to cover the toys with smaller blankets)... he just used to get a bit of a scuffed nose from it, lol.

cell
March 14th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My dog does this too to a certain extent, he decides he needs to hide his toy/bone and will start searching for the "just-so" place. He even will try to go on the couch or bed which he is not allowed on and normally doesn't care about unless he is compelled to hide the bone. Try providing a easy place to hide/ bury objects since he seems to need to have the object fully covered before shes happy.

Kay9
March 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
It looks like she's making her "den" or hiding a treasured find, like her doggy ancestors would do. My dogs always do this in a big blanket. The big blankets seem to bring out this instinct. :):lovestruck:

Kay9
March 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Oh, by the way--nothing to be concerned about. Just sit back and enjoy the show. :cloud9:

Veesmart
March 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
This is interesting because she has a box where her toys are (and some blaknets) that she could "bury" things in, and she never seems interested. Also, I should add that this video just happened to take place on top of the blanket. Normally the blankets are folded and put away. The action she does is done on the flat surface of the couch cushion. The video is a bit deceiving because she looks like she's burying the toy with the blanket, but actually I think its just getting in her way.

Does this make sense? Still sound like what you've all described?

Tommysmom
March 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
My pup would do it on hubby's leg, on the carpet, on the bed... pretty much anywhere until we gave him his blankies to do it with. The only place he never did it was actually in the yard, where he could really dig:rolleyes:. I wouldn't worry at all.

Melinda
March 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
nothing to be concerned about, instinct is kicking in to bury "till later", Brina does it in the leaves outside

BenMax
March 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM
My min pin does this as well. She is just burying the toy. Nothing in my opinion to worry about unless she does not allow you to take the toy.

Veesmart
March 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Awesome thanks for all your input. I actually think its kinda funny so now I don't have to feel bad about giggling at her when she's going to town with her bone.

Thanks again!!:goodvibes: