Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help us find Robbie (Kerr Village area of Oakville)

RobbiesMom
March 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
The star of our family is missing. Robbie is a tuxedo cat with batman like facial markings. He's 1.5 years old. He's an outdoor cat and typically stays within 2 houses of his own house. Last Monday he went out and didn't come back. VERY unusual as he's always within earshot and at most 2 neighbours yards away. We also have a bell on his tag and can hear where he is. Robbie was last seen wearing his red collar with heart shaped tag and a bell. His oakville license has his tag number and my phone number engraved on the back of it.

Robbie is all black from his nose to his tail (on his back)
All black across the eyes
He has white rear legs, chin and chest
White front paws and white underbelly.

Please check your garages, sheds etc as he went missing around garbage day and may have gotten trapped.

We are new to the neighbourhood and we're hoping he's not trying to get back to Port Credit on his own to see the old house.

Please take him in if you see him, and call us. It's my cell number below, same one that's on his tag.
It's been nearly a week and he'll be cold, wet, hungry and scared.

mummummum
March 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm so sorry, I know first-hand what a horrible experience this is for you. I hope he returns to you safe and sound quickly. :goodvibes:

RobbiesMom
March 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks, it's brutal.

mummummum
March 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
We have quite a few members out your way who are sure to see your posting. Have you also posted in Craigslist? Sent flyers to all the local Vets and pet stores?

RobbiesMom
March 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
about 100 posters up, immediate area got them in the mailbox, vets, humane society, laundrymats, stores, grocery store, all dog parks, on posts by schools, crossing guards on the look out and bless her heart, the mail lady said all the local carriers are keeping an eye too. We go early in the morning when it's quiet and call him, and in the evening...until late at night when he might try and hunt for food under cover of dark. We check back in with the HS every two days...old neighbours are alerted in case he tries to make it back to visit with his friend Sox. Can't think what else to do. Food is out too. We've had 3 calls and a couple of emails. Possible sitings and we zoom right there.... nothin'... nOtices on Kijiji, Craigslist and all pet sites I can locate. Oakville paper and Mississauga papers too.

shirley1011
March 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Oh my you have done all the right things...don't give up..maybe something has scared him and he is hiding out...just keep doing what you are doing

RobbiesMom
March 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
We've done all we can think of... it's very clear to us that we NEED HELP. Trying to find a frightened cat on your own is next to impossible.

All we can do is suggest:
Go to your garage and lift the doors, keep it cracked open for a little while...
check your shed and check their yards/hedges incase his collar is stuck,
go out and lift up the rain cover on the BBQ.... that might be all that it takes ... Here's hoping!

shirley1011
March 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I had a cat many years ago that went missing...gone for over 3 weeks..and came back just skin and bones and pine needles in her fur..so she was obviously up a tree for long time...never really knew what happened...just don't give up..keep leaving out the smelly tuna and your scent.....

growler~GateKeeper
March 14th, 2010, 03:21 AM
If Robbie has a litterbox in the house put it out on the porch, as well as his bed, a worn but unwashed tshirt or a pair of smelly shoes/runners - something that has your scent on it. Leave these out on the porch/stairs to help guide him by scent back home

When you go out early mornings/late night to look for him be sure to bring a flashlight as it will pick up reflections from their eyes, also bring his food dish/can of catfood/treat bag to tap/shake as that sound will sometimes get them to come faster than calling them :D

:goodvibes: good luck

Anja
March 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
When my cat got lost I found him on the roof of an under-construction building. God knows how he got there. Roofs and tall trees should be checked too. Good luck to you and don't give up.

chico2
March 14th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Robbiesmom,I'll certainly keep an eye out for him,I am west of you,on 3rd line,not close,but you never know.
I had a simular situation here a couple of times,outdoor kitty did not come home,was let out in a new area,owners had just moved in.

I spotted him at my house,after seeing a Missing cat poster in the grocery-store.
I called the owner,they put a small crate in my yard,with a couple of T-shirts with the owners scent and food and one afternoon he was laying in there,very happy to see his owner:thumbs up
A month ago,the same thing happened again:yell:
Robbie is a beautiful Tuxedo-kitty:pray:you find him,it's so very miserable outside:(

the gang
March 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
put his litter box and his bed out side, here is hoping for a safe return :fingerscr brenda and the pins

diandpat
March 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Good luck and :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: Such a little cutie. Hope he gets back home soon!

RobbiesMom
March 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone, support is making this easier. We'll do everything we can and love your suggestions. We're on it!
actually,...we posted the missing poster in the truck while we're trolling around with the flashlight so people aren't nervous about us snooping around. Found lots of racoon eyes so far. No cats though... strange, not even the strays people call or email us about? Weather has been so bad, they're all hiding out.
C'mon nicer weather!!!

rg_girlca
March 14th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Oh my, your Robbie is just too darn adorable.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that he comes home safe and sound very soon.

One of our cats got out years ago and was missing for 48 days before he made it back home. From the condition he was in, it seems he was locked in somewhere. So please don't give up hope. Keep the faith.

Once they do make it home, you don't know if you want to hug them to death or strangle them for making you so worried. Of course we all land up hugging and kissing them.:)

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}for you, as I know just what you are going through.

RobbiesMom
March 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone, still new news yet...
Did the drive till 1am again last night, found lots of rabbits, raccoons and two cats...neither of which were Robbie.

We put up fresh posters, and I've resorted to putting catnip at the base of the posts so Robbie or anybody else's cat will come out of hiding and be easier to spot. Ideally having him sitting beneath him poster...when someone goes by.

Did the t-shirt, food dish etc. etc etc Still nothing. I'm hoping that with garbage day being tomorrow...he may show up if he was accidentally locked in.

Will continue to flyer and poster and call for him. I'm thinking someone has taken him inside and perhaps doesn't get out much to know there are posters everywhere looking for him.
The neighbours will be so sick of me calling for him, they'll look too! <grin>

sigh...a very sad Robbie'sMom...

NoahGrey
March 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
He could be bunked down under a deck. I had a call once, were this stray was so scared it didn't venture out from under the deck. They called us a week later.

ACO22

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM
He's pretty gregarious...but I appreciate the insight from a PRO. We'll keep looking and listening...He's vocal all right! LOL

14+kitties
March 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Just on the off chance he has been picked up and taken to the shelter you could ask to also check their feral and sick room. A lot of times when cats are picked up they "act feral" and get put in the room with other such cats. Just a thought.
Have you tried setting up a live trap with some smelly tuna? They are quite reasonably priced or you can borrow them from some HSs. I think Oakville lets you borrow. He may be coming out in the middle of the night hoping to be let in the house and finding the door closed to him so he leaves again. It is also indeed possible he is trying to find his old haunt.

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2010, 12:34 AM
We put up fresh posters, and I've resorted to putting catnip at the base of the posts so Robbie or anybody else's cat will come out of hiding and be easier to spot. Ideally having him sitting beneath him poster...when someone goes by.

:laughing: Brilliant! :fingerscr hope it works :D

Many :goodvibes: for a quick return

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Yep, I check the sick room and feral cat areas and the adoption rooms incase of a paperwork mix-up when I'm there every two daysa and they have a poster with his photo and contact info. They know me as soon as I pull up I've been there 4 times this week. I KNOW Robbie and if he was in earshot, he's come running when I call and if he showed up in the middle of the night, or day..... he'd hang with his friend in the back (using their cat door). He's either VERY far away,... on a journey,.... somebody has him, or he's been trapped somewhere. I've checked and he hasn't been scraped off the road. HS gets reports and so far no matches. Someone has him and can't read his tag, or his tag has come off. Weather has been bad, he's inside somewhere. Today to be beautiful...so I'm hopeful. Its also garbage day again. :-)

chico2
March 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Robbiesmom,I am so sorry you have not found him yet:(
Our OHS,lends out humane traps,at least they did a few years ago..it is possible like 14+says,he's coming around at night.
Although I do not condone out-door cats,at least Robbie knows his way around the area,unlike an indoor only cat,who would be terrified.
The cat that came to my house,also an "out-door"cat lived quiet a way from my house and was missing about 3 weeks.
He was not neutered and more than likely followed a female in heat,but I assume Robbie is neutered.
Robbie is very pretty,hopefully if someone has him,their conscience will bother them and they will contact you:pray: Don't give up hope:fingerscr

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hi Chico2
Thanks for the kind note! Yes I'm thinking with the lousy weather someone has been gracious and patient enough to put up with his non-stop chatter and wailing (wanting to go outside) until the weather was better! Yep he's fixed, well cared for, all his shots, has claws of course and has both, Oakville and Missisauga licenses...... red collar with tag + phone number and a little bell.
Yes I understand there are two distinct points of view on the indoor/outdoor argument, I respect yours is different than mine. What I love about "here" is that we all share in common, immense LOVE for our pets! Thanks for keeping an eye and being supportive! :-)

Love4himies
March 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I hope you find your sweet Robbie soon :pray:. You are doing all the right things to find him and if somebody has taken him in, then he will eventually get back outside and hopefully find his way back to you. :fingerscr

I hope your neighbours are also cooperating by searching each nook and cranny in their yards/sheds/garages :pray: as scared/injured cats may not respond to even their owners voice.

Golden Girls
March 16th, 2010, 10:02 AM
How frightening, so sorry RobbiesMom for what your going through :( Sending (((pawsitive))) vibes for Robbies' safe return :fingerscr

NoahGrey
March 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Keep us posted Robbiesmom.

ACO22

Melinda
March 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
is there a school around you? Kids seem to know all the pets and animals in a neighbourhood, its possible one of them found your kitty and took it home, put a poster up (with permission of course) on their main door and also ask busdrivers and taxi drivers to keep an eye out, especially taxi's, around here they are often called to be on the lookout for a missing pet.

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Actually the crossing guards have asked the kids to help find 'the batman cat'... Poster at the crossing guards and at the schools. Mailcarriers, garbage men, (haven't tried the cabbies though,...good idea!)... will talk to the school about putting a poster on the front door. Making rounds with fresh, plastic protected posters tonight. If you see a grey Rendezvous trolling your area....it's just me. ;-)

More posters going up tonight with plastic sleeves on them. Finally got to Staples to get them last night....

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Every time I see a post in this thread I hope it will say he's home. :fingerscr that today is the day that becomes true, RobbiesMom! :goodvibes:

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
RIP little Robbie. Humane Society just called. Thank you everyone.

aslan
March 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
oh no...i've been watching this thread hoping for good news,,i'm so sorry for your loss.

luckypenny
March 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I am so, so very sorry :(.

RIP Robbie :candle:

BenMax
March 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
RIP little Robbie. Humane Society just called. Thank you everyone.

RobbiesMom,

I can understand your pain. At least you know what happened and can be peaceful knowing that Robbie is free of any hardships.

Again, I am so very sorry. Find peace.

Winston
March 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
OMG I am so sorry for your loss I have been lurking in the background waiting for an update that he had come home! :(

Your precious Robbie is running free at the Rainbow waiting with all of those that have gone ahead! I am sure you will be reunited again!

RIP sweet Robbie :candle:

chico2
March 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Oh no Robbiesmom,not the news anyone of us wanted to hear, my tears are flowing freely for this beautiful little boy and you,I am so very,very sorry:(

14+kitties
March 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM
:candle::rip: Robbie :candle:

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry , RobbiesMom :grouphug:

:candle: Robbie

RobbiesMom
March 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone. We are beside ourselves with grief..... We really loved this beautiful guy and he was an integral family member. I'd go and take all the posters down if only I could stop crying...

Dee-O-Gee
March 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear of this.

My sincerest condolence to you and your family.

:rip: Sweet Robbie. :candle:

the gang
March 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
oh no so sorry for your news :rip: little one :candle: brenda and the pins.

rg_girlca
March 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
OMG Robbiesmom, my tears are flowing right along with yours. How my heart goes out to you. I am so, so sorry it turned out this way.

My sympathies are with you and your family at this sad hour. May the loving memories of your beloved Robbie, comfort you and help you overcome the pain.

Rest in Peace dear Robbie. You were so loved and will be sorely missed.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Robbiesmom.

growler~GateKeeper
March 17th, 2010, 02:47 AM
:( :rip: sweet :angel2: Robbie :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

Melinda
March 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm so sorry it turned out this way, he's at peace now. *hugs*

Love4himies
March 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I am so sorry.
:rip: Robbie :candle:

diandpat
March 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
:cry::cry::cry: so so very sorry. How unbearably sad.

RobbiesMom
March 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
5 months at the Pet store and no one wanted her...so we took her home with us. :-)
She has a fab new home, a mouse on a stick she carries everwhere, and a family that adores her. She just purrs NON STOP! ...such a sweet, sweet and gentle little girl. She sees our amazing Vet, tomorrow. She's already fixed, she's had all her shots & uses her litter and isn't a fussy eater. A little shy and doesn't want to be a lap cat, (can't blame her with a pet store start)...but she's warming up and already she's my new little shadow around the house.

I guess I'm now Lola'sMom,... too.

:-)

Melinda
March 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
oh my god, she's beautiful!!! will she be an indoor kitty? I had a cat with identical markings....she's so sweet! congrats

shirley1011
March 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
What a little sweetheart! She will take to you in no time.
Thanks for taking her from the pet store..no life for a pet there.

hazelrunpack
March 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
She's lovely! :lovestruck: Congrats on the new addition!

LYNNNNNNN
March 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Robbie and Lola'sMom,

I cried reading your story...RIP little Robbie:candle::rip:
And I just want to tell you there is nothing like being busy with a new little one to help heal the pain of the one you lost...
You will never forget Robbie but little Lola will win her place into your heart and help you .:lovestruck:

mummummum
March 23rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
RobbiesMom ~ I'm so sorry for your loss. :candle:

I hope Lola is as much a :lovestruck: gift to you as was Robbie in his time.

NoahGrey
March 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
RIP Robbie. Sorry for your loss.

Happy that you gave this kitty a forever home.

ACO22