Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is chewing himself raw!

shuterbbug
March 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone!

My cat, Junior has been chewing himself on and off for the last 4 years. He chews himself in different spots. mostly on his sides and the top of his front legs. He licks off all the fur and then chews himself until he bleeds. After three visits to the vet and a loss of over $600.00 I still don't have any answers. The vet has ruled out allergies and parasites. If anyone can help I would be most gratefull!

Thank you

Love4himies
March 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Poor kitty :( :grouphug:

What is your cat eating? How did the vet rule out allergies? Was there a major incident in the kitty's life when he started this? What is your kitty eating?

mummummum
March 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Did your vet take skin scrapes from the raw areas?

Do you find your kitty does this at certain times of the day? Could she be missing you and scared? Could she be frightened by a particular noise or smell or person? Could she be bored or wanting attention?

krdahmer
March 14th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have been going through just this with my Fagan for about 4 years now.... we were back and forth to the vets for steroid shots and skin scrapings, had him on antidepressants and did many many food trials to see if we could pinpoint the culprit, all to no avail. So for the past year or so we have had him on a very low dose of an oral steroid 3-4 times a week, it seems to be just enough to keep him from chewing his belly raw. It got to the point where I had to put his quality of life first (all the vets trips were stressful and the antidepressants just made him a zombie), I know steroids aren't great, and you want to avoid them if possible, but he is such a happy cat again, and that to me is what's important.

Good luck to you and your kitty for finding a solution that will work for him! :goodvibes::pray:

growler~GateKeeper
March 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
How old is your cat? Were blood tests done to rule out medical issues?