Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RIP Misty Margaret

My Lodi Girl
March 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Misty Margaret died today. She was a long-hair calico, 15-1/2 years old and a spitfire from the day she was born. She came into my life after she was dumped as a 5-1/2 week old kitten and has been by my side, through thick and thin, all these years.
She has been losing weight over the past couple of years and I have had her to the vet numerous times to check for diabetes because of the weight loss and she drank a lot of water and urinated a lot. Bloodwork always came back fine. She was just getting old. She had lost more weight but she seemed fine until last night. Her back legs were wobbly, she was breathing hard and fast and she wouldn't eat or drink. I knew she was dying and debated whether to stress her out and take her to the vet or let nature take its course. I ended up taking her to the vet today because I was afraid she was in pain. The vet gave her a thorough exam and told me that her right lung was not working at all. She was not fighting him like she usually does and she did fine until he took her temperature then she started fighting. I was talking to her and petting her while I was holding her when her mouth suddenly turned purple and she started gasping for breath. Just a few seconds later, Misty died in my arms.
I was worried that I had choked her while I was holding her and the vet said that I didn't choke her, it would have happened no matter who was holding her - it was the stress from fighting. The vet suspects she had cardiomyopathy and later said that he was going to suggest putting her down but Misty saved me from having to make that decision.
The ranks are getting thin around here - two babies gone within four months is pretty hard to take.
RIP Misty Margaret - Momma will miss you.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
So sorry for your loss :grouphug:

mummummum
March 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
A terrible thing to lose her but, what a blessing you were there and she was comforted by you in her final moments ~ as she was with you through thick and thin, you were with her as well. :candle:

Tommysmom
March 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'm so sorry:grouphug:

Kay9
March 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your baby. :candle:

luckypenny
March 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
:candle: Misty Margaret :candle:

:grouphug: My Lodi Girl.

Jim Hall
March 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
my condolences
it is always tough but what a wonderfull life she had

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, My Lodi Girl! :grouphug: It's so hard to lose them...

:candle: Misty Margaret

14+kitties
March 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
:candle::rip:Misty Margaret :candle: Find your cat bed and Lodi at the bridge and be happy till Momma can join you.
:grouphug: MLG We mourn along with you.

Love4himies
March 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Oh, I am so sorry :cry: :grouphug:
:rip: Misty Margaret :candle:

Winston
March 13th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Run free to the bridge Misty Margaret! your free of all pain now!

RIP sweet one!

:candle:

My Lodi Girl
March 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thank you all so much - I know you understand. Today has been a very sad day for me. Misty was always into something and in the middle of everything so it seems strange and lonely without her. I am really bothered by the way she died. She was stressed and struggling to breathe - it seemed so traumatic. But the vet was very kind and when she started fighting, he quit taking her temperature. He noticed she was struggling to breathe before I did and he started talking calmly and quietly to her telling her it was ok to go, it was time to let go. I remember looking at him like he was nuts then I realized she was dying. I keep thinking I shouldn't have taken her to the vet, that I should have just let her die at home but I didn't want her to be in pain and she did go very fast. I feel so guilty. I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks again to you all for listening and for your condolences. Only people like us can understand.

Love4himies
March 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Oh Lodi girl :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:, you did the right thing to take her to the vet. The most unselfish thing you can do is to overcome your feelings of wanting to keep your beloved pet alive and relieving her of her pain :grouphug:. Misty Margaret knows she was loved and she wouldn't want you to feel badly.

ancientgirl
March 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your girl.

:rip:Misty

Dee-O-Gee
March 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
It's obvious that Misty Margaret has had a wonderful 15 1/2 years MLG as you gave them to her.

It's always a tough decision to make but in the end, she did it her way.

:grouphug: My Lodi Girl. Truly sorry for your loss.

:candle: